@Riot: Please Answer The *REAL* Questions.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Liath

10-07-2010

rsync?

Liz Vicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2010

There is an easy solution here. Remove Shurelia's red status, and half of those pointless thread red posts are gone. A winner is us!

Falleth

10-07-2010

Quote:
A winner is us!
Nah, banning you would do better, -1 moron.

Spellsy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTheBobCat View Post
There is an easy solution here. Remove Shurelia's red status, and half of those pointless thread red posts are gone. A winner is us!
but..

shes a girl omg bbq girl internet omg

higherbrow

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTheBobCat View Post
Not every red post needs to be a dev update.

Thanks, Phreak, for the clarifications. So, if supports are being nerfed for being too strong, when can we expect tank nerfs? I understand that in any game, some strategy is going to become the "best" and right now it's tanky dps, so I suppose the actual revealing question is, can we expect tank nerfs, or is Riot satisfied with this metagame?

Byronik

10-07-2010

+1 phreak..

Madman Reborn

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevveK88 View Post
Ok, you do not honestly believe they nerf'd Soraka when Sona was being released because she was OP? Come on now.. Oh and i did not mean all the hot fixes, i meant the stuff that was not in these patch notes: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=276194
I didn't think she was OP. A lot of different people said she was. However, she's clearly too weak now as she lacks any sort of serieous damage to make up for the lack in heal. Anyways, I thinks Phreaks post shows that they do anwsers question and that you must have just missed them. They did anwser the question about the short patch notes.

Just don't get a cow, i'm only saying, you know....

KevinPJH

Master Recruiter

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
Hi,

We don't intentionally hide patch notes. Occasionally designers, artists, or engineers forget to update our producers on what they included in the build, so they aren't documented. We never intend for this to happen, but we try to track down any changes we find were included but not documented. Edit: That was simply a very minor patch. All of our live designers are working on remakes (Jax, Teemo, Evelynn, etc). I think you'll find the next patch very exciting.

It takes 10 hours or more to bring out a patch for a few reasons. First, we don't even start the patch for about an hour. We shut down the queues, then wait an hour for any games in progress to finish and shut down the servers. Then we have a lot of servers to patch. Restarting them also takes a lot of time. There's a thread about this restart process in the announcements that's about 1 month old, but it's not as easy as hitting the "Reset" button. Then I'm sure there's a few more things to be done: Tweaking configs, etc. Then we have to test the servers, make sure the patch isn't broken, the servers work, queues work, and then turn them back on. Occasionally we get ahead of schedule and open the servers early. Sometimes we find an issue and have to make the downtime longer. We generally overestimate downtime which allows us to open the servers early, but finding those issues, well...

"Live" designers and "content" designers work on different goals; there was never this "Hey, let's nerf this support so we can bring out an OP support." And besides, Taric, Janna, and Morgana were stronger picks than Soraka at that time anyway. Additionally, Soraka's Infuse is just a problematic skill. While Sona can toss out heals to her lane, she can't also toss out mana as well which is just terrible to fight against. Soraka is supremely annoying to lane against, which is why she was nerfed. We've had a pretty steady trend of nerfing all support champions because they're too good. We've also had people asking for a new support champion for months. Chances are they would coincide.

I don't know. I try to answer the questions I can. Recently I've been busy with WCG and video content.

I don't know how the Shiny stuff is progressing. I'll know more at the end of Friday, and I'll try to get back to you with what I can, but I'm sure a lot of it will be confidential. I'm erring on the side of caution for now, so I won't be very useful right away.
Thank you for answering us Phreak. It is much appreciated.

Guinsoo

Game Designer

10-07-2010
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Many of the questions you guys want answered are things we can't talk about sometimes. So I'd rather post less important stuff than nothing at all!

KevinPJH

Master Recruiter

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinsoo View Post
Many of the questions you guys want answered are things we can't talk about sometimes. So I'd rather post less important stuff than nothing at all!
But Guinsoo, why is it that it has to be confidential?

EDIT: That could have looked bad, just to clarify something here, i am not against Riot, i am just very curious as to why things are done in this way.