When someone disconnects why do we lose full ELO

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jooge

09-21-2012

Just lost a full 14 points of elo in a ranked game that my team would have won, but someone disconnected and never came back...I don't understand why we don't lose less ELO for situations like this...the game recognizes the player left cause his name is in red at the end screen...so incredibly frustrating

Kreyni

09-21-2012

"Quick, they're bout to win, someone take one for the team and disconnect!"

Because it's easily abused.

architectus

09-21-2012

there could be a mega punishment for the leaver. example, 150 points lost on elo and 1 week ban on ranked games, 1 day ban on non ranked games. after 3 strikes it goes to tribunal if account should be banned. i had games where we were winning then 2 people disconnect.

3v5 gg.

PureGG

09-21-2012

What happens if you legit DC.. or your internet cuts out. Should you lose a huge amount of elo and get a 1 week ranked ban cuz of that?
I agree that something needs to be done, but its a delicate balance to be played with.

Summerfest

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyni View Post
"Quick, they're bout to win, someone take one for the team and disconnect!"

Because it's easily abused.
Make the person who rage quits/ disconnects lose either: 1. ALL the elo for his team. So 14x5.
2. OR the team only loses half and they lose the difference. So they all lose 7, you lose 42 (14 + 7*4)

PogoPogoPogoPogo

09-21-2012

Because when someone on the enemy team disconnects, you gain full Elo.

Heretek007

09-21-2012

Just a little perspective from somebody who works with computers and networks. Isn't there a way to tell when somebody quits (voluntary disconnect) and when somebody's client crashes or their network goes down? (involuntary disconnect)

I think that if they just implemented that, it would help alleviate the problem of quitters since we can see if somebody leaves because they want to or because they were forced to disconnect, and then assign an ELO penalty to the leaver accordingly.

But the easiest way, like you say, is to decrease the ELO/xp/ip gain and loss based on how many players were connected on the losing team. Still open to abuse like somebody pointed out though.

Edgeville

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretek007 View Post
Just a little perspective from somebody who works with computers and networks. Isn't there a way to tell when somebody quits (voluntary disconnect) and when somebody's client crashes or their network goes down? (involuntary disconnect)

I think that if they just implemented that, it would help alleviate the problem of quitters since we can see if somebody leaves because they want to or because they were forced to disconnect, and then assign an ELO penalty to the leaver accordingly.

But the easiest way, like you say, is to decrease the ELO/xp/ip gain and loss based on how many players were connected on the losing team. Still open to abuse like somebody pointed out though.
If you knew about computers and networking as you say, you would know that you can make a program to manipulate other methods of disconnection to avoid/exploit consequences.

I do think if you had an afker, leaver, or intentional feeder you should receive a loss forgiven like in server lag situations.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretek007 View Post
It's easy enough for me to walk over and unplug my router or modem to make it look like an involuntary disconnect.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeville View Post
If you knew about computers and networking as you say, you would know that you can make a program to manipulate other methods of disconnection to avoid/exploit consequences.

I do think if you had an afker, leaver, or intentional feeder you should receive a loss forgiven like in server lag situations.
This is only a viable option if Riot's going to start giving out "win forgiven" and refusing to award Elo to the winning team if an enemy disconnects.

I assure you, if you're playing enough games, you're having enemies disconnect more often than teammates (assuming you never disconnect yourself).

The idea behind removing the Elo loss when you have a disconnect is that the team with the disconnect is now at an unfair disadvantage. And that's a fine assessment of the situation; that team IS at a disadvantage--I agree. But then why are we going to continue to give the enemy team Elo for winning when their opponent has a disconnect? They'll now be at an unfair advantage.

And moreover, the disconnects will no longer balance themselves out. When a teammate disconnects, you don't lose Elo no matter what. But when an enemy disconnects, you have increased odds of winning--it's essentially free Elo. Now all of the sudden, everyone (AND I MEAN EVERYONE, across the board, from 0 Elo to SilSol) is going to float up a few hundred points in Elo simply because some of their losses won't cost them Elo anymore, while all of their wins will still award Elo.

You can't get rid of negative Elo when a teammate disconnects unless you're also going to stop awarding positive Elo when an enemy disconnects. And isn't the problem with this pretty obvious? "Wait, the enemy is about to kill our Nexus? Let me just disconnect and make them get 0 Elo, trolololol!"