Beginner questions about the Top lane and Jayce

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GoodSir Banzo

01-07-2013

Hello,

After maining Bot Support for a little while, then moving on to Jungler, I started taking interest and playing in the Top lane (as Malphite, Jax, and a horrible, very horrible Singed).

I've been paying close attention to Dyrus when he streams, but there are a few questions that I don't know (perhaps it's because they are too obvious, but yeah, I'm new )

Some questions...

1. What is the actual 'purpose' of the top lane?

For some roles like support and jungle, their goals/objectives are pretty clearly defined. The top lane is where I first started to take on one of the 'farming' roles where you stay in lane and CS, so I'm pretty new to the lane mechanics.

2. What do I do in the following scenario?

It's been 30 minutes into the game. I am Malphite and laning against GP. Neither of our towers were gone, so neither of us lost lane. Do I stay in my lane or do I ditch it and participate in teamfights?

P.S, Off-topic: I've taken an interest in Jayce. He looks a lot of fun with the 7 abilities and all, but I have a few questions about him.

1. Is he easy to play? By this I mean after a few games & practices, do you get the hang of him easily?
2. Is he really worth it? I've read that in teamfights Jayce doesn't actually offer much, because he's not tanky enough to be an initiator with his hammer form
Q and E, neither can he do a good amount of damage. Are there other top lane champions that bring more to the table in teamfights than Jayce?

Thanks in advance for helping me out and answering my questions!

TehJosh2

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBotLOL View Post
1. Is he easy to play? By this I mean after a few games & practices, do you get the hang of him easily?
2. Is he really worth it? I've read that in teamfights Jayce doesn't actually offer much, because he's not tanky enough to be an initiator with his hammer form
Q and E, neither can he do a good amount of damage. Are there other top lane champions that bring more to the table in teamfights than Jayce?

Thanks in advance for helping me out and answering my questions!
Don't know about top lane in general, but I do love Jayce.

1. Yes

2. Yes. Get a warmogs/trinity and you're as tank as offtanks come

CaptainBurger

01-08-2013

I try to harass and prevent my opponent from getting cs. Later, I look for opportunities to snowball by killing the enemy and prevent him from gaining xp, making him super underleveled. Then I carry. XD

Jayce is a good harasser. Try him out (but wait for a free week first)

deirin

01-08-2013

Quote:
1. What is the actual 'purpose' of the top lane?
it depends:
champ like renekton = push first and maybe 2nd tower by the time lane phase end...since he will fall of late game...
champ like pantheon = farm about equal in lane and gank other lane putting em ahead and yourself ahead at the same time...
champ like malphite = farm cs(/jungle if your behind) the most u can and be tanky late game
champ like jayce = push lane and do stuff in other lane or harass your lane with long range
Quote:
2. What do I do in the following scenario?
at 30 min mark ur pretty much suposed to be roaming between lane(push then roam)
Quote:
Neither of our towers were gone, so neither of us lost lane.
unture, lost lane is all about gold(cs + kill)
Quote:
no idea i dont play him
Quote:
he offer long range harass
and overall alright dmg
his strong point is that he can engage when he want and desengage when he want

Eloquid

01-08-2013

Jayce is great if you use smartcasting, do your homework at learning the champ (lol wiki) and don't build Trinty Force. He offers great rewards for dedicated, but if you're looking for an easy champ, he's not for you.

ZongTG

01-08-2013

Jayce is a very fun champion that with some practice you can get the hang of. As someone who has good mechanics on Jayce, and as someone who plays him in ranked and ranked teams a lot, I can say what I'm going to tell you confidently.

To start off, let's talk about top lane. Top lane's role is to farm farm farm farm farm. The reason for this is that Top lane is isolated from the other lanes, and baron doesn't become important until later. As a top laner, you control the top lane, river, and tri-bush. It's your job to see to any action that happens in these places, and if there is none, you farm.

Farming is important because as a top laner you will find yourself hanging out in your lane for about 15 or more minutes just trading with your opponent and farming. The more farm you get and the more perfect you are at getting every CS you can, the more powerful you will become in the game and as a player.

Now we talk about Jayce. Jayce is one of those characters that will be hanging out in his lane for awhile, mainly because you want to get farmed. Jayce is incredibly good with items. You can dish out more damage than an ADC in auto attacks, you can poke from afar with massive AOE damage, and you can initiate if you have the balls or the willingness to die for your team.

Before teamfights, Jayce's role is to be a poker. Keep using your E + Q combo in Cannon form until a fight breaks out. Once a fight breaks out, switch to Hammer from and jump on a carry, and auto attack them or E them until they die. This is for a more brave Jayce style, and will often get you killed if your tank didn't jump in with you.

If you'd like to stay back as Jayce, you'll be using your W in cannon form once a fight breaks out and trying to break down their front line. Once that's open, their carries are ripe for the taking.

Jayce is amazing at 1v1s because he has really unexpected damage and your opponents rarely will have estimated just how much damage you're actually able to throw out. All of the abilities in both forms together are enough to kill almost anyone with no trouble at all.

You want to build Jayce glass cannon at first (you're pretty naturally tanky) and then transition into resistances later on. I go Bloodthirster first on Jayce (you'll usually have to get a phage or at least a health crystal and long sword before this). Then you get a Tri-Force, and after that you get a Last Whisper. You'll have a ton of damage but you'll probably be a little squishy. After this you can build a GA and a Warmogs like another poster suggested, or you can build GA and something like a Maw, Hydra, or a Wit's End.

The reason my item build works is because Bloodthirster scales well into the Late Game. You get more damage the more you fight! The Tri-Force works because Jayce benefits from every single stat on it (your Hammer form's W has a 1 for 1 ratio with AP!). The Last Whisper will help you break through the armor that the enemy team is likely building at this point, and if they haven't built any then you'll do even more damage! After this it's really what you need on Jayce, whether it be health, resistances, more cool passives, or straight up damage.

My style might not be in line with the styles of others, but it's the reason I love Jayce so much and it's the reason I rarely ever lose a lane (sometimes my Jungler plays a part in this ^_^).

GoodSir Banzo

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloquid View Post
Jayce is great if you use smartcasting, do your homework at learning the champ (lol wiki) and don't build Trinty Force. He offers great rewards for dedicated, but if you're looking for an easy champ, he's not for you.
Haha, don't worry. After all, how long can one stand playing recommended champs forever?
I'm going to buy Jayce because he has a learning curve, but if I get through that, I'm sure the rewards will be worth it.

As for all others, thanks for helping me out!

TPBvirus

01-08-2013

I play Jayce frequently (I bought him when he first came out >.<) Anyways top lane in general is just the snowball lane. No real definition, just win. Just outfarm the other guy, kill him once or twice and win.

Malphite V GP top lane at 30 minutes, by then you should be way past the laning phase, but if minions push to your tower take the farm and go back to fighting.

Jayce is easy to play after you've played him a lot. Also his item build is more or less situational. I prefer off-tank Jayce, (Warmogs+Atma's+Triforce w/ Merc Treads) but others prefer the long range nuking Jayce (Bloodthirster+Black Cleaver+ (some other dmg item), w/ cdr boots or merc/tabi)

Jayce in teamfights is actually good if used correctly. In hammer form, he can single out targets and dish out damage with his E (Sadly Riot nerfed that to the ground). But his skill set allows him to single out targets or deny escapes.

When out of teamfights, in cannon form, the EQ cannon combo is still deadly since riot didnt nerf the damage on his Q, however they made the mana costs higher so that people don't spam it as much. Fix this by having a Soraka as support on your team. and also getting mana pots and crystalline flask.

Also, for some reason he was originally designed as a jungler, and his skill set allows him to jungle. So, I've done jungle Jayce with my friends and it works out decently. But not that great. I go Wriggles+Merc/Tabi+Black Cleaver, but thats as far as I normally get before the game ends. His ganks are pretty good because of his EQ combo in Hammer form, also the mspd boost from switching forms helps clear jungle quickly.

I've also run Troll Jayce, thanks to the new items, and Jayce's versatility as a ranged and melee unit, you can use both Runaan's Hurricane and Hydras. Which is really bad to try and carry with, but its fun to use.

Overall, Jayce is a really good champ, but you just have to figure out the different skill combos he has, because he has way more combinations besides the standard QE Hammer or EQ Cannon.

TPBvirus

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloquid View Post
What no Triforce, c'mon man. You've been watching too many pros play only one way of playing Jayce.

Wolfsleigher

01-09-2013

What I do in top is take out the tower asap... and as soon as it's gone I roam and push other lanes.

Top lane IMO is there to draw other champs out of their lanes because it's being pushed and allows mid or ADC to take a tower while they're focused on saving top