Can I get banned for not following the meta?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zynthetic

11-17-2012

I don't always follow the meta, but I definitely don't troll. I like playing champions differently (Karma top, Yi/Nunu/Mao mid, Yorick bot instead of being a support). My intentions are positive, and want to win. Playing the same champion the same way with the same build every game gets boring.
Can I get banned or given warnings for using champions other than how people usually use them?

Also I like going bot with a support champion. If I don't do what people tell me to, they threaten to report me.
Can I get banned or given warnings for: not buying wards and not obeying every command given to me?

vulgarwolf

11-17-2012

as long as u dont afk, feed or harass others then no.

I dont believe in the fact a support doesnt farm..the tutorial says kill minions, get gold, buy itmes...now if i am punished for farming, then best riot change the tutorial. There is nothing to say you HAVE to support, some teams like it...but its not mandatory

Cryswar

11-17-2012

The very short answer is that if legitimately all you do "wrong" is not following the meta while still trying to communicate with/coordinate with your team, you'll be fine. In itself, that behavior is not bannable.

However, if you engage in more general failboatery, whether it be refusing to communicate with team about picks or raging or verbal abuse or whatnot, don't come crying to forums if you get reported+punished anyways. I've yet to see a "I got banned for not following the meta!" topic re: tribunal that, when Pendragon'd/Lyte'd, didn't turn out to be a complete ass.