Does anybody own a bowflex here?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gogotoothbrush

10-07-2010

Just wondering about experiences with the bowflex, if it's worth buying.

Elan Tedronai

10-07-2010

I own a floor, and two arms to do pushups with. Although I'm 6'3" 170lbs so you may not want to take my bodybuilding advice.

SpoKey

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan Tedronai View Post
I own a floor, and two arms to do pushups with. Although I'm 6'3" 170lbs so you may not want to take my bodybuilding advice.
This.

I thought about buying a bowflex, but then I got to thinking, I could spend it somewhere else. So I made a whole workout program I call my "Prison Workout." Mostly bodyweight training using a large range of different exercises. If people in prison get buff doing it, why not you?

Jenova Project

10-07-2010

It depends on serious you are about your workout. It is a quality machine, though on the expensive side, but it will give you the results you want IF, and only if, you stick with it. Also, a common misconception about fitness is that you can work out a set numbers of times/hours a week and therefore be in shape and this is simply not the case. What you eat, and don't eat, matters just as much as how often you are working out and the quality of these workouts. The bowflex is a serious machine that won't benefit you unless you're going to take it seriously. If you're on the line of medium to hardcore, it may be a good choice assuming you can afford it. Just remember that like with ANY workout machine/program if you try to cheat it you're really only cheating yourself.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

10-07-2010

My closes friend, we have know each other since we were 1 years of age, purchased a BowFlex. It worked great, but not because it was magical, because he followed a very structured workout. The machine itself is quality, and really doesn't take up a huge amount of space. From using one, seeing his results, I have nothing against them. I also have experience with P90X, it is an at home workout routine. Again, nothing magical about it, but it is structured! So if you follow a structured routine you can see results, but you have to have structure and discipline.

So to directly answer your question, it is a quality product. If you can afford it, go for it, maybe pick one up used for REALLY cheap. Is it or the P90X I mentioned magical? No! Nothing is. The fact remains true that the key is a structured routine, doesn't matter if it is a Bowflex, P90X, or milk jugs filled with water. It is a matter if you follow it, stick with it, eat right, that is what will have results. Bowflex, P90X, other equipment are just there to HELP with it.

Username1

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan Tedronai View Post
Oh don't worry I was just asking about the experiences with the bowflex machine. I am currently working on my personal training certificate. I am 5'11 230. And my friend just recently went to a Jay Cutler seminar. So my motivation is at all time high. I am mixing up my exercises recently and my body is loving it. Can't wait to feel the adrenaline rush for the first time using the bowflex. It's basically like buying a new car (for car lovers)

Elan Tedronai

10-08-2010

I used to take protein, eat right, and do basic muscle building exercises to try to put on weight. No dice. I have a horrible metabolism for bulking up. The only thing that ever gave me even the remotest amount of definition is when I used to deliver furniture for a living. Even that just got me up to below average instead of scrawny beanpole. Now I'm a desk jockey and am at square one.

Hacker

10-08-2010

sigh... None of you guys know anything about weight lifting and the sorts, presumably bodybuilding.

No, bowflex is not good, you'd rather spend your money on an Olympic weight set (300lbs is fine for beginners), a Power Rack (assuming home gym and that you're going to be training by yourself), and a FID Bench (Flat,Incline, Decline).

Find the olympic set (weights and/or bars) + Power Rack on Craigslist, and bench on w/e site.

If you plan on buying weights + bars separately, $0.5/lb is a common ratio (for weights).

Elan Tedronai

10-08-2010

Fifty cents a pound!?!? That's ridiculous! I work in the steel industry and we can sell scrap rail steel for .15-.20 cents a pound. Rail steel is some of the highest quality non-specialized steel available. Dang.