AP Corki - Fun

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

seshmaster

12-28-2012

Ok, so i've played a couple matches as ap with him in 3v3 and i think its really strong and its fun.

core build
sorc boots
black fire torch (first item)
wooglets (can grab the chain vest early on if you are up against assassin ad champs)
voidstaff

after that defensive.. for whatever team comp ur against
rylais/abyssal/randuins(for even more ad assassin mitigation)/banshees

i feel like his insane poke with rockets and blackfire procs is just amazing.

the way i've been playing him is as a really pokey mage since in 3v3 getting close can usually mean death especially since you have less people to protect you anyway.

the damage is really meh until you get blackfire.. but after that.. its pretty good.

Redenbacher

12-28-2012

So, as always, my question for anyone playing AP Corki is: Why not use any other champion with long-range poke that actually has good AP ratios rather than a very strong AD Carry?

Brand, Ziggs, Lux, etc. can all do the same job, better.

Of course, if the goal is just because it's fun... then have at it! ...just let your teammates know ahead of time what you're doing.

Darkdingus

12-28-2012

You just named 3 AP carries with no means of escaping.

With the Torch, the missiles actually pack quite the punch, especially with the extra MPen

Corki escapes fights he cannot win, his escape has a very long range and deals damage to people chasing him. His only "meh" skill is the gatling, because it scales off AD and only shreds armor.

While I agree that Corki is better at playing AD, especially with the tweaks to the ratios on his skills, he's still a potent AP carry when well played.

AD > AP. But, as the post's title says: AP = Fun.

seshmaster

12-28-2012

^ what dark said.

and yes. his ratios may be low or at least thats what everyone is saying so i actually went to look them up.

phos bomb : Magic damage: 80 / 130 / 180 / 230 / 280 (+ 50% AP)

valkyrie : Magic damage: 30 / 45 / 60 / 75 / 90 (+ 20% AP)
Maximum damage: 150 / 225 / 300 / 375 / 450 (+ 100% AP)

Missile Barage :

Magic Damage: 120 / 190 / 260 (+ 30% AP) (+ 20% AD)
Diameter of AoE: 150

Big One Magic Damage: 180 / 285 / 390 (+ 45% AP) (+ 30% AD)
Diameter of AoE: 300

those ap ratios seem pretty nice to me especially when you consider the safety at which he can deliver his damage.

WashedLaundry

12-28-2012

Have you given consideration to Lich Bane/Iceborn Gauntlet? Both seem like good items to consider due to the nature of Corki's kit.

seshmaster

12-28-2012

i thought about it.. and the item just personally isnt for me.. im not big into the lichbane procs as im always wanting to use them and it usually kills me on other champs. so i just shy away from the item in general... but it could be amazing in the right hands.

edit:

it would also need to come after the core build as i wouldnt be able to rush it. and at that stage im more interested in survival and sustain damage. but against a team comp where you might not have to worry about getting bursted to death.. again it might be amazing in the right hands.

Redenbacher

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdingus View Post
You just named 3 AP carries with no means of escaping.

With the Torch, the missiles actually pack quite the punch, especially with the extra MPen

Corki escapes fights he cannot win, his escape has a very long range and deals damage to people chasing him. His only "meh" skill is the gatling, because it scales off AD and only shreds armor.

While I agree that Corki is better at playing AD, especially with the tweaks to the ratios on his skills, he's still a potent AP carry when well played.

AD > AP. But, as the post's title says: AP = Fun.
A 2-second stun, a double-root + area slow, and the satchel + area slow don't qualify as escapes?

I mean, I understand the effectiveness of Valkyrie, but to say the other three are unable to get themselves out of a sticky situation is silly.

But, like you said, it's not necessarily about effectiveness, it's about the fun aspect. That's cool, just have to ask the question before people go off thinking AP Corki is the new Kassadin.

WashedLaundry

12-28-2012

I tried it in a bot game. It takes awhile to build but I picked up a sheen after the Haunting Guise and then finished it after I got BFT and Wooglet's.

Hey guy above me, AP Kog and AP Ezreal are things too, there's really nothing in their kit that's different than what AP Corki has.

seshmaster

12-28-2012

AP corki isnt an assassin.. he doesnt just insta nuke you down.. he fires off 3 rockets that take over half ur health away. and then he kills u.

but reden i understand you just keep thinking of him as ad.. and as ad all of his damage has to come in close range.. im personally of the belief that most adc are underpowered with all the new jumps and assassins.

Edit:

and i also understand that his ap damage isnt nearly as strong as it used to be... but since i didnt play then... i guess it makes me feel like he isnt really weak.. but for people who did play him then.. maybe they feel like it doesnt do hardly anything.

Redenbacher

12-28-2012

AP Kog makes more sense to me since every single one of his abilities deal magic damage and scale with AP, and are all always effective in all situations (except Q, arguably, because of it's short range). Hell, AP Kog used to be more powerful than AD Kog before his ratios and cooldowns took a hit, and he was given a passive AS buff. Also, he has much longer range and the only limitation on his ultimate is mana, rather than a stock of 7.

AP Ezreal makes sense, because his Q applies on-hit effects (lichbane/fist), and his other three abilities scale with AP (very well, with a .75, .8, and .9).

I never said AP Corki was an assassin... the Kassadin comment was just a sarcastic shot comparing Corki to a powerful AP Carry that people often complain about as being overpowered (at least outside of SR).

Corki has two mediocre AP ratios at .5 and .3/.45. Yes, the ultimate is cheap, long range, and spammable, but it's limited to 7 in a burst, which admittedly will do a nice piece of damage assuming you land all of them (and they hit a viable target before exploding prematurely on a minion or tank). His last AP scaling ability is dependent on the enemy chasing you through giant circles of flames... and, needless to say, enemies typically avoid the big red circles, in my experience.

Again, if you're having fun doing it, more power to you. I just don't want there to be any false expectations that Corki is a powerful AP Carry the likes of those built to do so. On TT, I agree, AD Carries are not in the best place right now, which is why the meta is 2 bruiser, 1 AP. If you want to maximize your effectiveness on the team, my suggestion would be to choose an AP Carry that can do the best job at that, with good AP ratios, an escape, and utility. Corki has the escape, but lacks AP ratios and utility. He's fun to play, and that's a fine reason to play him - just let your team know .