Should people use mute more

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yuusan

11-16-2012

I have realized that most people don't use the mute button. It is easy to find just hit tab and it is there. I have this theory that if people used it more they wouldn't get banned or reported or maybe the person being assaulted wouldn't have to report him because he can just mute him.
So i just wanted to see what people thought and if they should add something to find out if the person was muted in the game. This will probably never happen.

Calys Teneb

11-16-2012

Quote:
Q: Why is verbal abuse punishable if there is a mute button/language filter?

A: Players shouldn’t need to rely on features like the mute button or language filter to engage with other players in positive ways. When a player verbally abuses another player and forces him to use the mute button, they have already created a negative experience for that player.
https://support.leagueoflegends.com/...2-tribunal-faq

It's still not accepted as a reason to abuse people. So reports are still valid.

Yuusan

11-16-2012

But then why add a feature like that into the game. If someone verbally abuses me i mute them then go about the game having fun win or lose. You eventually forget about them and you get back into the game. So for riot to say "Players shouldn’t need to rely on features like the mute button or language filter to engage with other players in positive ways. When a player verbally abuses another player and forces him to use the mute button, they have already created a negative experience for that player." is very idiotic and i personally don't agree.

Xeneth

11-16-2012

I personally really dislike using mute as a player...

I agree that a lot of pointless disputes and negative **** would stop if offended parties would just hit mute and keep playing, but the other thing that would stop is team communication.

Much as I hate to be raged at, I would still like to be able to coordinate with my team, regardless of how jerky they happen to be.

Calys Teneb

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusan View Post
But then why add a feature like that into the game. If someone verbally abuses me i mute them then go about the game having fun win or lose. You eventually forget about them and you get back into the game. So for riot to say "Players shouldn’t need to rely on features like the mute button or language filter to engage with other players in positive ways. When a player verbally abuses another player and forces him to use the mute button, they have already created a negative experience for that player." is very idiotic and i personally don't agree.
Because even if the game is rated T for Teen, that's for violence and blood. Online interactions are never regulated by the ESRB in any game. Therefore features like the language filter and the mute button offer younger players and their parents options to deny immediate exposure to the bottom of the Internet and reporting offers a long term solution to eject those players that refuse to change from the game.

Riot is trying to set a standard for thier community that is above the standard toxicity of online multiplayer communities.

Rhab

Recruiter

11-16-2012

Quote:
I have realized that most people don't use the mute button. It is easy to find just hit tab and it is there. I have this theory that if people used it more they wouldn't get banned or reported or maybe the person being assaulted wouldn't have to report him because he can just mute him.
So i just wanted to see what people thought and if they should add something to find out if the person was muted in the game. This will probably never happen.
I don't think avoiding offensive behavior should be the responsibility of other players. Every player should be responsible for their conduct in game. Also, muting someone is not a fix for everything as it prevents team communication and disrupts game play. I believe promoting a better game environment will benefit people a lot more. And, even though it may not be a perfect system, I think the Tribunal's goal is to do just that.

mambawarrior0

11-16-2012

Quote:
I think if someone gets shot at, it's their responsibility to dodge the bullets. Why else would we have legs? Lets not punish people for shooting at each other.

6Asphyxia6

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calys Teneb View Post
https://support.leagueoflegends.com/...2-tribunal-faq

It's still not accepted as a reason to abuse people. So reports are still valid.
if players should not rely on the tools given to them to filter out language and mute rude players than i think riot should just remove them and keep banning people because players dont want to use these features. f*ck logic, bottom line is simple if you dont enjoy trash talk throw on the filters and mutes let the whiners watch my little pony and be forgotten from league.

Yuusan

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhab View Post
I don't think avoiding offensive behavior should be the responsibility of other players. Every player should be responsible for their conduct in game. Also, muting someone is not a fix for everything as it prevents team communication and disrupts game play. I believe promoting a better game environment will benefit people a lot more. And, even though it may not be a perfect system, I think the Tribunal's goal is to do just that.
If the person is talking trash and not helping the team and is worth taking time to report then he is no help to the team and it wouldn't matter if he was able to communicate with you and the team or not.