How can we get more people to play Dominion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cherryboy916

11-19-2012

Drawing on my own experience, I think the biggest problem was I had no idea dominion existed until I hit lvl 30. And even then the only reason I discovered dominion was because my cousin forced me to pvp in classic, and when we get predictably destroyed, I emorage trollqueued us for dominion without knowing wtf it was about (except that it was like a reverse Arathi Basin in terms of resource objective).

Got predictably destroyed again (didn't know how to cap or neutralize towers, was diving left and right) but I noticed right away how dominion put you straight into pvp teamfighting, gave you access to all your skills quickly and let you build out awesome items way faster than SR. I also found the smaller map size, speed shrines, and regen to be very appealing.

I hated having to b in SR and have to wait like 10s just to regen to full, and run slowly all the way back to lane just to go farm some minions (or worse die right away and have nothing to do for a couple minutes, maybe go watch some paint dry).

Tempestphile

11-19-2012

The first thing RIOT has to do is stop moving dominion threads from GD to here

This will give a lot more exposure on Dominion discussion in a forum area (GD) where a lot more people hang

SlasherBag

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
We gotta punch them all in the face, cap'n!

You could try aggregating public stats across all champions to show that Dominion is indeed not horrendously imbalanced. I think right now people are going to be too concerned with S3 changes though. We should probably put together video tutorials on how to play Dominion... maybe that'll be my next project.
Sauron becomes Dominion Day[9]? I'd watch, even if you refrained from doing video since you are not of mortal flesh and do not look fair in the eyes of men.

Tempestphile

11-19-2012

The other thing RIOT needs to do is release Jabe from the RIOT prision

j3di mind tricks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

if people actually try it can be a very fun mode but for the most part its people grabbing random champs and rolling with troll builds. Also noticed people come in expecting to get easy first wins and having no idea how to contribute to the team.

SlasherBag

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3di mind tricks View Post
if people actually try it can be a very fun mode but for the most part its people grabbing random champs and rolling with troll builds. Also noticed people come in expecting to get easy first wins and having no idea how to contribute to the team.
I mean, my first few builds on dom would be considered trolly now. But that can be said of my first few SR and TT builds as well. The fact is, its not SR, so people will try w/e when they start. To me this says an updated suggested builds thing for dom would be good (though I think they redid quite a few of them?).

After about 30 games though I was hooked, way more entertaining than SR, and to me at least, a lot more strategy.

davyo11

11-19-2012

Actually I have an idea. How about we try to get a major team like CLG Solomid or Dignitas to enter DominateDominion. I wanna see them get creamed by Pointdefense. Besides that it would help promote dominion on a whole new level.

Just a small thought though.

Kahlua

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

if they added ranked more would play

wingstreet

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Slime Appears View Post
balance > ranked > promotion (in that order) = success
it IS balanced though. there are op champs in SR too... they get banned. sadly, draft is a dead thing in dom. the number one thing dom needs is ranked. that way we don't get:

"dom is just a fun game"
"dom isn't a real game type"
"who takes dom seriously?"
"watch out this guy has a high elo in dom!"
"dom has no meta"
"dom is just for testing champions"
"hey guys! zyra plays ranked dom no worries"

it's getting old. i heard all these in a single game today... and hear most of them often. trying to explain to these people that there is a dom community that takes the game type seriously is just tiresome. ranked, some exposure like a dom 2.0 spotlight video, and tutorials like everyone has been saying foreverrrrrrrr would probably help.

urmamasllama

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by naotasan View Post
[B]
A stupid and hopeless idea I had:
So I had this idea a few weeks back but never really voiced it. What if we got a big name streamer or someone popular on the internet (like people from a pro SR team or someone from a popular stream/youtube channel) to help our cause? To push the game of Dominion up from the depths of darkness? It seems the biggest lack to Dominion right now (as Nome is doing an amazing job with the updates) is publicity.

Stupid idea, but it never hurts to suggest, right?
not a stupid idea in fact i think we need to get on this here is a list of people you need to contact. or get to converse with each other at least

Feedski: remember that cash tourney he has been trying to set up?... yeah
Elalya: has an in with CLG if we can get them to participate in a big for cash dom tourney it should draw a croud
Kry0: for publicity of course last time he posted about the DD tourney we had 5k+ viewers now imagine if a big team were in it too?

this is something that can be pulled off and if we can it would be huge toward getting the word out