What to build at which situation?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ablevall

07-23-2014

Okay, I've just started playing a week ago and I've decided to pick adc as my main role. Currently, I'm using Tristana, and I'm doing quite decently with her. But I'm just wondering what particular items should you get as an adc when you're behind, ahead, need more dmg, etc.? As a new player I've always felt I'm building wrong xD

AndrewDoingWork

07-23-2014

tristana relies on autos for damage as her skills scale off of AD, you pretty much almost always want to rush infinite edge first

if the other team is very tanky you want blade of ruined king for lifesteal, attack speed and the active will save you too. if the other team is squishy or ur super ahead then a BT, but NEVER BT before IE.

you will also want crit, generally you want to go for PD. you can go static shiv for even more waveclear but you have the passive on your e so you don't reeeeally need a static shiv

you also want armour penetration with last whisper because people build armour and you will do less damage. some people get this second because its very cost efficient in terms of damage, even if people haven't yet built armour

o and somewhere in between you want berserker greaves forgot about that lol

and defensive item
Guardian angel: your team can peel for you
warmogs: your team can't peel for you
QSS: they have things you need to cleanse for like supression, stun, etc

Trist is a strong early game champion because of her level 2 w and e damage. if you find you are ahead then you can max q second after w, and build IE>BORK(or PD)>LW>defensive item and boots somewhere in between

if ur behind and don't feel like ur going to catch up, start maxing q. w and e are only useful in terms of damage, early game. Q will give you a lot more damage mid and late game. USUALLY even if you are behind, this will occur in lane. you will want more dorans blades. but your full item rush will usually remain static, as IE>BORK>PD etc.

The Kayin

07-23-2014

Well that's the thing. Situational builds are just that - situational. It's hard telling you what you need to know. I recommend just playing and getting familiar with all of the items available to you.

There are some general guidelines. Keep in mind these are GUIDELINES not rules. Situational context WILL override these guidelines.

1. Boots are less important than damage for an ADC. Start with a Dorans blade + 1 pot.

2. If you get behind in lane, buy a 2nd Dorans blade. Sometimes even a 3rd to keep up in damage. They're cheap and help you CS.

3. Generally, If ahead = buy more damage. If behind = buy more defense. However since you're an ADC this isn't the case. ADCs should almost always be buying nothing but damage and attack speed according to your champion, build, and play style strengths.

4. ABF. Always be farming. I think the ratio is 20 CS = 1 kill. If you have 100 CS by 15 minutes and you're 2 deaths down, but your opponent has only 50 CS.. you're still winning.

Pay attention to what your opponents are building and how much CS they have. As you get more familiar with the items and champs you'll be able to predict when they need to back and you can use that to your advantage. You'll also be able to predict their power spikes. This is the fundamental concept behind situational builds. What's the enemy doing/building and how can you compensate for that.

Ablevall

07-23-2014

Oh, all that makes sense. Thanks for the help, I'll keep that all in mind as I play.

AndrewDoingWork

07-23-2014

just for the love of God please dont rush a BT before IE, if there's anything to take away please you can rush a vamp scepter but not a BT over an IE q________q

especially since BT dmg also got nerfed, people used to get BT on adcs because people like caitlyn and graves skills scaled off of AD, tristana skills on the other hand does not, her abilities as AP, so she is heavily dependent on autos, thus making IE>>>>>>BT rush on trist. but other champions are different, like corki/ezreal/lucian want trinity force, trin force on tristana is not very good.

plz dun rush bt on trist plzzzzzzzz q_q

MadTenuki

07-23-2014

Tristana specific, there's also a trend to rush static shiv before IE, max e. Basically insane wave clear, easy farming. Components are also cheap compared to holding out for that first BF sword, so you can always be building towards it. Obviously you lose in straight out trades, so harass with e and shiv procs, but don't fight unless you're ahead. You're also harder to gank if you shove to tower and back for golems, etc. Core items are basically shiv, IE, last whisper. If I'm ahead and get a couple kills though I still get BF->IE first.

If you're ever not sure what to build as you're learning a champion, probuilds.net shows what "name" players are using, runes, masteries, build order, etc.

ReMeDyIII

07-23-2014

I main ADC (currently Gold V), and my standard build on most ADC's is Doran > BF Sword > lvl 1 boots > Pickaxe > Infinity > Berserk Greaves > Statikk Shiv > Last Whisper > Defensive item > Bloodthirster

Now this build varies a lot based on a number of situations. First, ideally I want to get BF Sword on my first recall. If I fail, I can't simply go back to lane and not buy anything, so I get a 2nd Doran's with health pots, or I get a Pickaxe with health pots. I may also get lvl 1 boots, depending on the gold I have left. I've even seen other ADC's, like Wild Turtle, stack as many as 3 Doran's, but your choice. After exhausting all that, it's Infinity Edge or bust. Note: Trinity Force can see its way into some caster ADC's who have heavy burst, such as Lucian, Corki, and Kog'Maw, in which case I like to rush that item if I can't get BF Sword on my first recall. If I do get BF Sword, I go IE first, then Trinity Force second.

The next big decision is Last Whisper. Before you purchase it, look at your opponent's armor. If they're going with nothing but raw dmg, then save Last Whisper as your 5th or even 6th item. If you're up to your 6th item and they still don't have dmg, I wouldn't bother getting it at all. Just stack more dmg, or in rare occasions, save the slot for a 2nd defensive item.

Usually, you'll only get one defensive item. If you're snowballing hard, consider delaying this up to your 6th item rather than your 5th. This defensive item can vary wildly. For me, it's either: Banshee's Veil, Guardian's Angel, or Thornmail. Get Banshee's vs heavy AP and skillshot threatening champs (ie. Blitz, Morgana, Thresh, Lux, Nidalee). Guardian's Angel is good for when decently snowballing, but if snowballing like crazy, I ignore defensive items altogether. Thornmail is good vs heavy AD auto-attack comps (ie. Vayne, Master Yi, Rengar, Aatrox). After lane phase, take note of who is fed on the opposing team, because your defensive item will want to counter them.

After your build is complete, remember to feed yourself Elixer's. Several pro's also recommend selling your boots for a Zephyr.