Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Less Gold in New Jungle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KevinDelMarr

11-16-2012

I still don't see why a Champion would want to prioritize farming over ganking. The ambient gold increase just allows ganking junglers to be not hit as hard by camping a lane. Before if you camped a lane you would get 26 gold in 20 seconds, now you get even more in the same time? While farming junglers get a boost, ganking junglers get a boost as well, which I thought Riot was trying to avoid. I just don't see how ganking/support Junglers will be a less viable option. I do like how AD jungler like Kha'zix get a boost, but I still feel like ganking will be the preferred way to go.

Counter jungling should have more of an emphasis I guess. Clearing the enemy jungle will have less of an impact compared to before, since now you get more gold without having to farm. I'm waiting for some more Stonewall008 jungling videos before I make final judgements (on Jungler health and time after lvl1-4 clears), but I'm not currently seeing early and constant pressure having less of an impact. I don't have all the facts, just my recent observations and beliefs.

Triboon

11-16-2012

If I'm reading this correctly this will also help supports out as well. Since the ambient gold is higher and creeps/minions are lower that means supports will have more gold.
Bottom line:
This is to balance out everyone including supports?

Kevin Rill

Recruiter

11-16-2012

The ganking jungler will get 32 gold, but the farming jungler will get that 32 gold plus the farm gold (so more than double that). The ganking jungler has to, you know, successfully gank, and while he is in lane he is taking experience from the laner as well, whereas the farming jungler is getting experience that is not otherwise being used.

McNaulty

11-16-2012

Quote:
Kevin Rill:
The ganking jungler will get 32 gold, but the farming jungler will get that 32 gold plus the farm gold (so more than double that). The ganking jungler has to, you know, successfully gank, and while he is in lane he is taking experience from the laner as well, whereas the farming jungler is getting experience that is not otherwise being used.

That is no different than in S2, where ganking was favored...

GrizlakMonger

11-16-2012

So lane minions are worth less and everyone receives more passive gold? Not attaching value judgment, but this inherently lowers the importance of skill in the game. I love competitive LoL and I hope we don't make too many changes targeted at players who play 3 games a week when there are many people who play this game as a main hobby and enjoy the challenge of improving mechanics.

TL;DR Last hitting mechanics are less valuable now. Skill cap of League slightly reduced globally.

GrizlakMonger

11-16-2012

To follow up, why do we need to balance the amount of gold each member gets? I main support and I don't see any problem with a role that depends entirely on the skill of the player with the champions abilities rather than on scaling with gold and items. Sounds like what you'd get if you took the goalie out of hockey or soccer because not EVERYONE liked playing the position, like if they only liked scoring goals. OK, so then let the people who ENJOY that position play it and don't worry about the players who can just play a carry role. Passive gold makes the ability to last hit and win fights less important. We've buffed late game team comps (my favorite kind of team comp) but now they don't have to skillfully navigate a tougher early and mid game since turtling is worth more. Harder to starve out a team with early snowball strategy if they are getting more passive gold. Just food for thought.

LightEcho

11-16-2012

Doesn't ambient gold gain encourage gank heavy jungling?
I mean ultimately even though junglers will get more gold there is less of a reason to farm the jungle since the actual gold gotten from the jungle has gone down, and actually farming the jungle has gotten harder. Doesn't this also disincentive counter jungling?

Any ways that my main concern with the new jungle and only time will tell how things shake out.

Scrulox

11-16-2012

So is the gold increase only for mid and late game jungling?

Vrakus

11-16-2012

So, I just spent a 45 min game completely farming the jungle and doing nothing else. I was watching the gold income from camps increase slightly over time, but it was not huge by any means. At 40:55 (39 min after first cleared), the wolf camp was worth 78 gold (64 big wolf, 7 x2 small). That's about 50% more than it was initially. At the same time lane minions are 25g, 21g, and 46g. So wolf camp is slightly more than half as much gold as a non-siege minion wave, but has more total health (big wolf was ~2.5k hp. lane minions ~585 each).

Ken34

11-16-2012

Quote:
Who Triboon:
If I'm reading this correctly this will also help supports out as well. Since the ambient gold is higher and creeps/minions are lower that means supports will have more gold.
Bottom line:
This is to balance out everyone including supports?

yea this is what im getting from this too, this is a pretty big buff for supports.