Champion: Ral'kaz, Reflection of the Void

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dragonarrow7

11-16-2012

the idea is to make a crystalline void creature based heavily on reflective damage, good timing, and deception.

name modified (sorry for discrepancy)

(numbers subject to change, and perhaps abilities too, suggestions welcome)

ad: weak
hp: above average
ap: very strong
difficulty: very hard

base stats
hp 403 +86
hp5 4.7 +0.6
mp 240 +60
mp5 6.8 +0.65
dmg 51.58 +3.5
as 0.579 +1.53%
armor 15 +3.8
mr 30 +0
move 310
range 125

passive - diffusive body: 5% reduced damage due to the diffusion caused by Ral'lar's crystalline body.

Q - illusive image: creates a clone of Ral'lar that last for 6 sec. the clone spawns ontop of Ral'lar and ignores unit collision for 1.5 sec where it defaults to shoving the player to the right if it is still on top of the player after 1.5 sec. to control the clone, reactivate the ability (acts as Shaco clone).
the clone has the same stats as the real Ral'lar, however, upon being hit with a spell or the clone automatically dies dealing 50/75/100/125/150 + (80% ap) ap damage to its destroyer (excluding turret). the clone also deals its damage to its slayer if the clone is killed with melee attacks(note: this means flat out killing "you" in auto attacks). if the clone is not destroyed, the mana is refunded and the clone dissipates.
cd 8 sec(unaffected by cd reduction) mana cost 100/110/120/130/140
(Shaco clone and Fiora riposte as models)

W - horrific reflections: all opponents facing Ral'lar (in an area a little under star call) are feared for 1 sec and take 50/75/100/150/200 + (10% ap) in ap damage. opponents not facing Ral'lar are not effected (it does no damage and does not stun). cd 28/24/20/16/12 sec mana cost 75/80/85/90/100
(Cassiopeia and Tryndamere as models)

E - void mirror: creates a shield around target ally for 1/1/1/2/2 sec blocking one single target spell and dealing 50/75/100/125/150 + (100% ap) in ap damage in retribution. cd 12 sec mana cost 70/80/90/100/110
(Sivir shield, Fiora riposte and any target ally shield as models)

(R) ultimate - crystal barrage: creates a circle (diameter of 400) of crystal mirrors around target location for 3 sec, which launch 10 images, 2 sec after creation, across the center of the circle. if an image hits an opponent the image deals 25/50/75 + (20% ap) ap aoe damage to all opponents in the circle. cd 150/120/90 mana cost 150/175/200
(Jarvan ult and Corki big bomb as models)

dmg calculations:

early game: lvl 1 skill with 45 ap
q : 86 ap dmg
w : 55 ap dmg aoe with 1 sec fear
e : 95 ap dmg blocks a spell
r : min (1 hit) 34 ap | max (10 hit) 340 ap to all enclosed

late game: lvl 5 skill (lvl 3 ult) with 500 ap
q : 550 ap dmg
w : 300 ap dmg aoe with 1 sec fear
e : 650 ap dmg blocks a spell
r : min (1 hit) 175 | max (10 hit) 1750 ap to all enclosed

while it seems Ral'lar dishes out a lot of damage, most of the damage is dependent on the opponents actions and since Ral'lar gets a high return on ap, the player must balancing tank against mage keeping the ap level a bit lower while letting pros play Ral'lar on the edge to dish out more damage. the ult deals a crazy amount of damage but only if Ral'lar can trap multiple opponents. If the ult traps just one, odds are the opponent only gets hit by 1-2 images. on the other hand, if a team is trapped, then the odds are 7-10 images will hit, unless the team clumps up. Ral'lar also has high mana costs to make players choose to use everything at once and be done or use the abilities a bit more situation based in order to get more out of their mana.

quotes:

champion selection:
lets show them just how frightening a reflection can be

moving:
trudge, trudge, trudge
affirmative
(sigh) curse Malzahar and his floating

attacking:
what armor can withstand crystal
I will show you true fear
if i punch you in the face then you will have to look

joke:
you want me to tell a joke? how about i reflect on it and get back to you
have you looked in a mirror lately? here use me

dance:
disco

death:
that's 7 years bad luck.
oh give me a break (shatters)

taunt:
i would show you the most horrific reflection yet, but i cant find my mirror

secret triggers:
hitting all 10 crystal barrage on 6 stacks Cho'gath - sorry brother but you are just to hard to miss
first laser from lux - ouch, for a second there i was seeing rainbows
first time fearing nocturne - im sorry Nocturne, did i give you nightmares?
when Kog'maw explodes on illusive image - i guess he couldn't stomach it
when Cho'gath noms illusive image - i think i gave him indigestion
when Nunu noms illusive image - (sigh) that yeti will eat anything
when Ral'lar uses void mirror to save its-self from Caitlyns ace in the hole -
hit me with your best shot ... oh you already did

lore:
As the void moves closer and closer to Runeterra, a reflection is cast across the fissure. The apparition seems to the observer to be a shimmering crystalline being that quickly solidify. On the other side of the fissure, the voidborn, Ral'lar, looks across at its reflection. As Ral'lar and the reflections mirrored crystal eyes lock, the world around Ral'lar blurs. The moment quickly passes and Ral'lar finds its-self still looking into the eyes of the reflection. Slowly, Ral'lar becomes aware something is not as it was before.

Tearing its eyes away, Ral'lar realizes the world around it is no longer the world it is used to. Ral'lar turns its back on the reflection, only to find a strange new creature sitting atop a fallen chunk of the ancient city of Icathia. The observer stares at Ral'lar, looking deep into the reflection of its crystalline body, and in it sees the full horrors of the void. Unflinchingly, the man stands, or seems to for a moment, for once standing Ral'lar realizes the pink creature thing, wrapped in some sort of discolored skin, is floats a few inches above the ground. Malzahar beckons for Ral'lar to follow and despite its misgivings, Ral'lar feels compelled to follow, as if the void is whispering to it once again, whispering sweet promises of things to come. So through the ancient decaying city of Icathia, across the Shurima and into the League of Legends, Malzahar leads Ral'lar.

"To look upon Ral'lar is to see your worst nightmares lurking, barely contained, beneath its crystalline skin" - Nocturne, said with barely contained glee

player tips:

playing as:
* Ral'lar is best out in front with the tanks, being close lets you fear all your opponents at once and makes its much easyer to get you clone in the way of things at point blank
* Try to taunt the opponents into poking at you by being a little too aggressive
* It is best to coordinate Crystal Barrage with another teammates stun making it easier to catch an opponent will all ten images

playing against:
* Ral'lar can deal a large amount of damage but only if you trigger its abilitys
* Ral'lar has high cool downs on everything but its clone and a high mana cost, try to make the opponent waist their ability and then strike
* Ral'lar's ultimate is particularly devastating in a team fight, try to stay spreed out and if you get caught, run to the same wall as everyone else

edits:
1.0 - 1.1.X - lots of refinement - 30 ish reworks
1.2 - changing fear duration and cd/mana cost

Kersplakastani

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonarrow7 View Post
the idea is to make a crystalline void creature based heavily on reflective damage, good timing, and deception.

(numbers subject to change, and perhaps abilities too)

hp: moderate

passive: reflective sheen - 5% of incoming damage is disparate due to the diffusion caused buy its/his/her skin

hypnotic reflection: all opponents facing Ral'kaz are stunned for .5 sec (up to 2 sec). (optional) taking 25-125 + (10% ap). opponents not facing Ral'kaz are not effected. cd 25sec mana cost 100

void mirror: blocks a single target spell and deals 80-320 + (50% ap) cd 12sec
mana cost 50

illusive image: creates a clone of Ral'kaz that dies upon being hit dealing 50-250 + (30% ap) to destroyer (excluding turret). cd 8sec mana cost 80

ultimate- crystal barrage: creates a circle of crystal mirrors around target location which launch 10 images across the cage passing through the center. upon collision the image medium area bursts dealing 50-100 + (30% ap) cd 120 or up mana cost 150

while it seems he dishes out a lot of damage most of it requires players to actually target him and since he gets a high return on ap he is mostly forced into playing tanky mage keeping his magic a bit lower while letting pros play him on the edge to dish out more damage. his ult deals a crazy amount of damage but only if he can trap multiple opponents. if he traps just one, odds are they get hit by 1-2 images if they are smart.

lore (vague idea): as the void moves closer and closer to this world, a reflection is cast across the divide. as Ral'kaz looks across the divide he sees himself standing on the other side looking back. the world around blurs and Ral'kaz finds himself staring back at himself. this times its different, the world around him is no longer the world he is used to. he stumbles away from his reflection, a reflection filled with the horrors of the void, Ral'kaz finds a man sitting atop a rocky chunk of ruins waiting for him. the man stares into him and does not flinch. the man stands, or seems to for once standing he hangs a few feet above the ground. Malzahar beckons Ral'kaz forward toward the League of Legends.

"Looking into the depths of Ral'kaz is a glimpse into your worst nightmares." Nocturne, with a smile on his lips.
You're off to a good start, but I will refrain from a critique until his abilities are explained a bit more and his lore gets a bit more fleshed out. Interesting concept and I look forward to more!

dragonarrow7

11-16-2012

Ok. what does everyone think? any suggestions? does it suck?

Kayoss666

11-16-2012

First my OCD its Kog'Maw not Cog'Maw. but yes i like the idea. I think a team with Ral'lar and Kog'Maw would be fun.

i think void mirrow should last longer then 1 sec or have that increase in lvl like 1/1/2/2/3 secs or something.

i also think horrific reflections fear should last a little longer.

i like ur other 2 but how big (units) is ur ulti?

if you feel like it take a look at my:
Pockets, The Golden Merchant

dragonarrow7

11-16-2012

i did want the fear to last longer but i was afraid of making it op so i wanted a second opinion. the reason i had void mirror at 1 sec is because i wanted it to be more of a clutch skill than an active shield. in that way i rationalized that it was acceptable to give it a terrifyingly high return because it takes skill, timing, and the opponent to attack. the ult was based on Jarvan's ult however, after looking at his ult again i decided that it was a bit small for players to get out of the center so i made some changes. i bumped its diameter from 300 to 400 and lowered the duration from 3.5 sec to 3 sec since, unlike Jarvan's ult, you cant cancel it early since the damage is dealt after 2 sec in order to give opponents the chance to avoid the majority of the damage.

SilentEternal1

11-16-2012

I'm a bit leery of gameplay centered around enemy actions. It means you're less in control, and more at the mercy of your enemies and their actions, or inactions. It's like when Shen's passive cooled down based on when he was struck. It made his passive less dependent on the player's skill, and, as Riot argued, less fun.

The Q is also risky, because these types of clones are generally ineffective. LeBlanc's and Wukong's clones generally don't fool anyone. Shaco's is the only one that works any percentage of the time. Also, what happens to the clone if no one hits it? Can you control the clone? what's its default behavior?

I love the ultimate, though. It's a really cool idea, I think. Can enemies pass through the mirrors? or are they a wall?

joe42

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonarrow7 View Post

name modified (sorry for discrepancy)

(numbers subject to change, and perhaps abilities too, suggestions welcome)

hp: above average

base stats
hp 403 +86
hp5 4.7 +0.6
mp 240 +60
mp5 6.8 +0.65
dmg 51.58 +3.5
as 0.579 +1.53%
armor 15 +3.8
mr 30 +0
move 310
range 125

passive - diffusive body: 5% reduced damage due to the diffusion caused by Ral'lar's crystalline body.

Q - illusive image: creates a clone of Ral'lar that last for 6 sec. Upon being hit the clone automatically dies and dealing 75/150/225/300/375 + (40% ap) ap damage to its destroyer (excluding turret). cd 8 sec mana cost 100/110/120/130/140
(Shaco clone and Fiora riposte as models)

W - horrific reflections: all opponents facing Ral'lar (in an area a little under star call) are feared for 1/1.5/2/2.5/3 sec and take 25/50/75/100/125 + (10% ap) in ap damage. opponents not facing Ral'lar are not effected (it does no damage and does not stun). cd 25/23/21/19/15 sec mana cost 75/80/85/90/100
(Cassiopeia and Tryndamere as models)

E - void mirror: creates a shield around target ally for 1/1/1/2/2 sec blocking one single target spell and dealing 80/140/200/260/320 + (80% ap) in ap damage in retribution. cd 12 sec mana cost 70/80/90/100/110
(Sivir shield, Fiora riposte and any target ally shield as models)

(R) ultimate - crystal barrage: creates a circle (diameter of 400) of crystal mirrors around target location for 3 sec, which launch 10 images, 2 sec after creation, across the center of the circle. if an image hits an opponent the image deals 25/50/75 + (20% ap) ap aoe damage to all opponents in the circle. cd 180/150/120 mana cost 150/175/200
(Jarvan ult and Corki big bomb as models)

dmg calculations:

early game: lvl 1 skill with 45 ap
q : 93 ap dmg
w : 30 ap dmg aoe with .75 sec stun
e : 116 ap dmg blocks a spell
r : min (1 hit) 34 ap | max (10 hit) 340 ap to all enclosed

late game: lvl 5 skill (lvl 3 ult) with 500 ap
q : 575 ap dmg
w : 175 ap dmg aoe with 2 sec stun
e : 720 ap dmg blocks a spell
r : min (1 hit) 175 | max (10 hit) 1750 ap to all enclosed

while it seems Ral'lar dishes out a lot of damage, most of the damage is dependent on the opponents actions and since Ral'lar gets a high return on ap, the player must balancing tank against mage keeping the ap level a bit lower while letting pros play Ral'lar on the edge to dish out more damage. the ult deals a crazy amount of damage but only if Ral'lar can trap multiple opponents. If the ult traps just one, odds are the opponent only gets hit by 1-2 images. on the other hand, if a team is trapped, then the odds are 7-10 images will hit, unless the team clumps up. Ral'lar also has high mana costs to make players choose to use everything at once and be done or use the abilities a bit more situation based in order to get more out of their mana.

quotes:

champion selection:
lets show them just how frightening a reflection can be

moving:
trudge, trudge, trudge
affirmative
(sigh) curse Malzahar and his floating

attacking:
what armor can withstand crystal
I will show you true fear
if i punch you in the face then you will have to look

joke:
you want me to tell a joke? how about i reflect on it and get back to you
have you looked in a mirror lately? here use me

dance:
disco

death:
that's 7 years bad luck.
oh give me a break (shatters)

taunt:
i would show you the most horrific reflection yet, but i cant find my mirror

secret triggers:
using crystal barrage on 6 stacks Cho'gath - sorry brother but you are just to hard to miss
first laser from lux - ouch, for a second there i was seeing rainbows
first time fearing nocturne - im sorry Nocturne, did i give you nightmares?
when Kog'maw explodes on illusive image - i guess he couldn't stomach it
when Cho'gath noms illusive image - i think i gave him indigestion
when Nunu noms illusive image - (sigh) that yeti will eat anything
when Ral'lar uses void mirror to save its-self from Caitlyns ace in the hole -
hit me with your best shot ... oh you already did

lore:
As the void moves closer and closer to Runeterra, a reflection is cast across the fissure. The apparition seems to the observer to be a shimmering crystalline being that quickly solidify. On the other side of the fissure, the voidborn, Ral'lar, looks across at its reflection. As Ral'lar and the reflections mirrored crystal eyes lock, the world around Ral'lar blurs. The moment quickly passes and Ral'lar finds its-self still looking into the eyes of the reflection. Slowly, Ral'lar becomes aware something is not as it was before.

Tearing its eyes away, Ral'lar realizes the world around it is no longer the world it is used to. Ral'lar turns its back on the reflection, only to find a strange new creature sitting atop a fallen chunk of the ancient city of Icathia. The observer stares at Ral'lar, looking deep into the reflection of its crystalline body, and in it sees the full horrors of the void. Unflinchingly, the man stands, or seems to for a moment, for once standing Ral'lar realizes the pink creature thing, wrapped in some sort of discolored skin, is floats a few inches above the ground. Malzahar beckons for Ral'lar to follow and despite its misgivings, Ral'lar feels compelled to follow, as if the void is whispering to it once again, whispering sweet promises of things to come. So through the ancient decaying city of Icathia, across the Shurima and into the League of Legends, Malzahar leads Ral'lar.

"To look upon Ral'lar is to see your worst nightmares lurking, barely contained, beneath its crystalline skin" - Nocturne, said with barely contained glee

player tips:

playing as:
* Ral'lar is best out in front with the tanks, being close lets you fear all your opponents at once and its much easyer to get you clone in the way of things at point blank
* Try to taunt the opponents into poking at you by being a little too aggressive
* It is best to coordinate Crystal Barrage with another teammates stun making it easier to catch an opponent will all ten images

playing against:
* Ral'lar can deal a large amount of damage but only if you trigger its abilitys
* Ral'lar has high cool downs on everything but its clone and a high mana cost, try to make the opponent waist their ability and then strike
* Ral'lar's ultimate is particularly devastating in a team fight, try to stay spreed out and if you get caught, run to the same wall as everyone else
also, i suck

i listened to the last sentence

dragonarrow7

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEternal1 View Post
I'm a bit leery of gameplay centered around enemy actions. It means you're less in control, and more at the mercy of your enemies and their actions, or inactions. It's like when Shen's passive cooled down based on when he was struck. It made his passive less dependent on the player's skill, and, as Riot argued, less fun.

The Q is also risky, because these types of clones are generally ineffective. LeBlanc's and Wukong's clones generally don't fool anyone. Shaco's is the only one that works any percentage of the time. Also, what happens to the clone if no one hits it? Can you control the clone? what's its default behavior?

I love the ultimate, though. It's a really cool idea, I think. Can enemies pass through the mirrors? or are they a wall?
that is in fact the point, and why Ral'lar is so hard to play. it is also why its abilities deal a good chunk more than they probably should normally. I have long wanted a deception based character though currently shaco is the only one. i love playing him ap box Shaco and baiting people into boxes and playing my health close to the line to draw them in. this new character has no escape however, and long cool downs so you are forced to time the shields, cause clone pandemonium, and get up close for a massive awesome fear. the ult, with all that in mind, either traps you or an ally in with them, or keeps them away from you. it is also the most direct damage but the damage can be lowered without a teammate supporting your efforts making cooperation a must. To get its q to work you must fool your opponent however it is spam-able and in a fight when things get confusing, easy to miss click and hit. the clone disappears after 6 sec as if it has been struck and mana is refunded, but deals no retaliation (call it the air attacking if u like). the clone is just like Shaco's in that it is controlled by re clicking the ability with the same default. though i should add the clone more or less spawns on top of Ral'lar and ignores unit collision for 1 sec, after which, it defaults to shoving the player to the right.

the ult is like Jarvans, you can not pass through it. this means that dropping it must be done with care and people can jump out of it. in other words, its best used with Galio taunting or the like. it may also mess your team up if u drop it wrong and you cant cancel it early so your stuck once you use it.

im interested to hear more opinions and misgivings however so plz keep them comming

Alucard Vanguard

11-17-2012

Going to edit this message as i read. First the base damage on the Q is rather high, the highest base spell damage ive seen for a regular ability is about 300 for a skillshot. That needs a nerf. For the W an aoe CC of more than 2 seconds is way too much. Kennen's ult or cassy's ult only last 2 seconds i believe for their AoE stuns so a regular ability aoe stun/fear should not be more than 1.5 seconds. You are allowed to buff that damage up to about 180-200 flat for the W as well. The ult I love sounds like a more punishable version of j4 ult but maybe have 2 high damage, 750 damage if they all hit inside the circle might be a little much. E is fine besides it scales WAY too much, 320 damage at 5 and scaling 100% with AP, that could potentially in the 800s for a damage reduction spell that is a bit high, reduce the scaling about bout 30% in my opinion.
I like the concept but the amounts of damage be difficult to balance the way you have it now.

dragonarrow7

11-17-2012

i have been going back and forth on the balance but i think the ult should be high because its the only target ability and a normal hit is probably only about 3 images. i recently bumped the returns up because late game heavy hitters like anivia hit around 600 - 700 a shot and the returns on this champ are supposed to be better than normal because they have to be triggered as well as having a decent bit of cd. someone said bump up fear but i had it at 2 sec to start.

i have preferred to drop my base as apposed to my ap returns, would rather see them have to choose tank or mage. i advise u look at my dmg calculations, they will show you about how hard things are hitting atm. the point of the ult however is that it does a ridiculous chunk, like nunu ult, but only if all the images hit. even calculating in 35% reduction on the max damage will make it only deal 1137.5