@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Weeks1

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Nami is arguably not as sexualized as some other champs. Just...why the boob window?

It's like Power Girl. Taking her design at face value, there's not much sexualization to it...except for the boob window. It makes no sense and is only there for the appeal to the male audience.

It's not that she doesn't look attractive or that her design is horrible, it just *seems* like a feature that is ever present in their designs, that is not appealing to everyone, and is there solely for the male gazing potential.

I don't care if a champ's design looks unpractical, it's just that this trend with female champs rubs me the wrong way, and sends the message that people like me are not welcome to play this game -- despite it otherwise being very fun and visually pleasing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ihatebikeshorts

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailTsukkomi View Post
Because the artist felt like that outfit was cool, or cute. There doesn't need to be a hidden, deeper meaning to it because it's not sexualized, so there wasn't any special meaning to it to begin with.

Elise, I can give you is confusing - you'd think she's a seductress at first rather than some evil high priestess. But that's because she *is* sexualized, so you expect some kind of reason for her to be sexualized, but then there really is no reason.

Nami *isn't* sexualized, so... you're basically asking the same question as "Why does blitzcrank have a door on his chest." "Well because the artist felt like it."
You're telling an artist how an design works? yeah ok. Tell me, when you look at Casseopeia's splash art, where does your eye go? What kind of color balance is there with Yorik's splash? Weight distribution with Darius? It ALL has a point. If you can't see that then you need to look harder.

THAT'S what I mean- That these superflous details only make conveying who the character is that much harder because it gets bogged down in meaningless information.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Forlier

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
snip
Hi there.
I am not going to question your sexuality.
I am not going to tell some 13 year old joke regarding your tastes.
I respect your opinion on the oversexualization of the female shape and even agree.
I appreciate the fact that this community has good members like you and I would very like to play with you sometime.
So please do not see what I am about to say an insult:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

You are right, females in LoL tend to be oversexualized. But never, NEVER insult someone like IronStylus or any other artist working for Riot by saying they are doing a poor job in thematic characterization.
All the champions oversexualized have an underlying theme in them. Miss Fortune uses her charms and wits to distract the ones she hunt, desesperate brute men who treat women like objects, and as such are dazzled when she comes to scene.
Katarina is noy oversexualized, she is just what a "femme fattale" should be: sexy, but dangerous and more than meets the eye.
Ashe uses her clothes in such a way for lore reasons: she lives in the coldest reasons of Runeterra, so her services in the capital force her to use lighter clothes, for she is not used to the Institute's weather (it is said champions have to stay in rooms for at least 3 days per week.
Zyra stole the body of a wizard and combined it with her roots. Her boobs are covered because she has to live with others in The Institute, and that are just good manners. Yes, Riot lost an oppurtunity to make her small breasted, but that's just one scenario. Lots of other champions are small breasted, if their theme has nothing to do with their looks: Leona, Diana, Lux, (arguably) Karma, etc.

Even Elise and Nami are perfectly justified. Elise can't be "monstruous". She is supposed to be a religious leader, a preacher, a priestess. She has to have a good looking human form. Everything in her promises power, rewards you cannot imagine. Her suggestiveness is used in that way. Promising her disciples something greater, bigger than themselves. She uses her body and language to attract others. Her looks only serve go captivate more. The ultimate predator.

And for god's sake dude, Nami is a MERMAID. A bloody mermaid. In the popular lore, she IS the symbol of sexual desire. Even if she is different as an individual, her species uses their looks to attract people to their dooms. She is a seductress. That is her biological condition. Of course she will have big boobs. It's also a way to get the people to easily familiarize with her. When we think of mermaids, we think about big-breasted women. Don't try to deny it, you would be lying. Even gay people think about big-breasted women when talking about mermaids. It's commom folclore, typical image. Remember, Riot takes commom tropes and averts them (the big breasted mermaid which by all rights should be a seductress is actually a support, focusing in helping people), they don't typically create new ones.


I am a little dissapointed that someone who can argue and present their opinions so well can so badly missunderstand the point in Riot's design.

P.S: want an example of a recent champion which isn't sexualized? Diana. Forgot her?
Also, just in case you mention her, Sejuani is not focused on her looks. Her splash art is made in such a way that reveals power, might, and not caring about weaknesses. It does not focus on her lack of clothes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HøwardMoon

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Summing up the whole thread, champ has boobs, OP doesn't like boobs, everyone else loves boobs. Case closed.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ihatebikeshorts

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forlier View Post

You are right, females in LoL tend to be oversexualized. But never, NEVER insult someone like IronStylus or any other artist working for Riot by saying they are doing a poor job in thematic characterization.
"You should never critique an artist's work ever"
As an artist, I welcome critique, I welcome the person who can make me feel all sorts of wrong for doing what I thought was right artistically because without someone telling me I was wrong I cannot grow as an artist.
That being said it's not really the Parrot's fault to begin with.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Avalon Bright

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks1 View Post
It makes no sense and is only there for the appeal to the male audience.
Nope nope nope.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FailTsukkomi

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatebikeshorts View Post
You're telling an artist how an design works? yeah ok. Tell me, when you look at Casseopeia's splash art, where does your eye go? What kind of color balance is there with Yorik's splash? Weight distribution with Darius? It ALL has a point. If you can't see that then you need to look harder.

THAT'S what I mean- That these superflous details only make conveying who the character is that much harder because it gets bogged down in meaningless information.
I didn't say that adding superfluous details was okay. Yes, you can bog down a character with too many details.

However, the only reason anyone's even paying attention to Nami's cleavage on her fairly small breasts is because *everyone's looking to ***** about it.* It's so minor compared to the rest of her design. Yes, where do your eyes go when you first see her? If you aren't looking to ***** about every single female champion released ever, as half of GD seems to be, it should be to her neckpiece and headdress.

The boobs are really not important, but everyone keeps blowing them out of proportion. It's like if I made a million topics complaining about Yorick's muscles and how he doesn't actually fight and summons ghouls instead. Everyone'd tell me to shut the **** up because it's really inconsequential and something you'd only see if you were LOOKING for it. Of course, Nami's case is less extreme, but her boobs and cleavage would be maybe the third or forth thing your eyes should be drawn to because they really don't stand out. It's not like MF where they're bulging out like giant watermelons.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jimyd

Senior Member

11-17-2012

TBH, Nami would be better with Cassopieas chest design(bra like chest area).

Her current one just is just silly, it looks like she is wearing a fake mermaid or fish costume with those chest frills.

I would much rather her to have a transition right around the belly-button into mermaid form than the current super V-neck victorian fish frills.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slashyperson

Junior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forlier View Post
When we think of mermaids, we think about big-breasted women. Don't try to deny it, you would be lying. Even gay people think about big-breasted women when talking about mermaids.
I don't think of big breasts on mermaids I think of tight firm asses thank you very much.

Also you should be careful when speaking on behalf of an entire sexual orientation in the very possible case that you are wrong and putting words into someones mouth.

Third, since when does sexy involve big breasts? I can think of plenty of women with below average breast sizes that are incredibly sexy.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkwahn

Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks1 View Post

I don't care if a champ's design looks unpractical, it's just that this trend with female champs rubs me the wrong way, and sends the message that people like me are not welcome to play this game -- despite it otherwise being very fun and visually pleasing.

If a "boob window" if enough for you to feel like the game is unwelcoming to you, then you probably shouldnt play.