@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FailTsukkomi

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
Nami is far less trashy than Elise and many others.

This is my reply to the thread on Reddit where it's cropped up:

Hi there. I am the original poster of that thread. AMA. -_-

No, but seriously, I addressed the thread to IronStylus because he has been the main Rioter outspoken about variety in champ design. I didn't intend to "call him out" - I just didn't know who else to direct my frustrations towards.

My main point - which maybe I could have been better about overtly stating - is that League uses the "female seductress" trope too much and that there is a lack of variety. Almost every female champ with the exception of Diana in recent memory has to be some sort of seductive beast - even when it doesn't fit in with their character design. Dark-mage seductress, plant seductress, spider seductress, and on and on. It gets annoying. Why can't we just have a dark mage, a plant champ and a spider?
I understand champs like MF, Ahri and Eve looking like they are about to pull some hoe ****. I do not understand why the sheriff of a major city needs to wear a steampunk minidress and a tophat while having a stripper cop outfit as an alternate skin when being a sheriff is a position of authority. I don't understand why we have to take champs like Riven and Fiora - who in game look great and non-**** - and give them alternate skins that look like sorority girl Halloween costumes. I don't understand why we have to make nurse Akali look like a hooker when Kennen MD and Surgeon Shen look authoritative and cool - my mom's a nurse for heaven's sake and that's a hard job requiring a lot of intelligence.

Yes, I know *** sells but I do not think that's a good enough reason.
I want variety - in both MALE and FEMALE champs. I don't want sexualization for the sake of dollars.

So she's still trashy to you.

Do what the other poster said and grab a time machine. Whisk yourself back to the Victorian era, I'm sure you'd be happier there.

Seriously, Nami is freaking adorable. Her voice, her lines, her design. But nah. She shows cleavage, so that makes her trashy. Women can't show skin. That's trashy. Ew.

I don't understand how everyone insists that EVERYTHING about a character's design needs to somehow "add' to their character. That's... stupid. Does Blitzcrank's weird "door" in the middle of his body "add" to his character? No, he doesn't use it for anything. Does Yorick's bulging muscles add to his character? Nope. He SUMMONS stuff to fight for him on the majority of his abilities, so why have muscles? What does Draven's mustache "add" to his character?

You know why they have those things? Cause the artist *felt like it.*

Bam.

Mindblowing I know.

Sexy Mailman

11-17-2012

*** sells to teenage idiots. duh

Avalon Bright

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatebikeshorts View Post
Having logic design-wise in a fantasy game is not a weakness. If anything it gives rise to even more creative things. Go to deviant art and look up some biologically realistic pokemon designs; not only are they good but the provide an excellent example of a balance between fantasy and biology.
You're complaining about the creativity when Riot actually goes against hundreds of years of typical mermaid appearance to come up with a design that's actually pretty damn unique?

Christ I would feel horrible being in the artist's place right now. Her first work out here, the first female champ in months that isn't some grimdark emo/villainess, and the response? ERMAGERD SHE'S GOT ****.

****ing puritans.

swan2swan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I like Nami- Hell I'm going to play the **** out of her because everythign about her design, except the cleavage is wonderful. I'm more against the showiness of her design because it adds nothing to the actual character. With Ahri and Cassiopeia, those champions have REASONS to be kind of sexy, Zyra to an extent as well. But Nami isn't a seductress, she's not trying to be provacative. If anything the cleavage is a superfluous aspect of the design because it doesn't reflect the core idea of "Regal Mermaid"- tell me, how many nobles have you seen that show off the goods like that? Moreover, this particular design isn't hydrodynamic in the slightest, so not only does it not make sense it isnt' even practical.
But wouldn't any clothing that Zyra wore just get wet underwater? Mermaids are generally scantily-clad for a reason; the less clothing, the faster the swimming .Though the hydrodynamic faults...I can give you those, except that I'm pretty sure the split is just additional fins. Ventral fins.

I'm sure that this can make its way into some fic or another...how does she use those ventral fins...?

And personally, I don't think she IS that provocative. I think she's just pretty.

Avalon Bright

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailTsukkomi View Post
So she's still trashy to you.

Do what the other poster said and grab a time machine. Whisk yourself back to the Victorian era, I'm sure you'd be happier there.

Seriously, Nami is freaking adorable. Her voice, her lines, her design. But nah. She shows cleavage, so that makes her trashy. Women can't show skin. That's trashy. Ew.

I don't understand how everyone insists that EVERYTHING about a character's design needs to somehow "add' to their character. That's... stupid. Does Blitzcrank's weird "door" in the middle of his body "add" to his character? No, he doesn't use it for anything. Does Yorick's bulging muscles add to his character? Nope. He SUMMONS stuff to fight for him on the majority of his abilities, so why have muscles? What does Draven's mustache "add" to his character?

You know why they have those things? Cause the artist *felt like it.*

Bam.

Mindblowing I know.
It's sad in the time it took me to +1 this while saying "+0", my vote only changed it to "-1". There is something seriously wrong with a society downvoting posts like this.

ihatebikeshorts

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon Bright View Post
You're complaining about the creativity when Riot actually goes against hundreds of years of typical mermaid appearance to come up with a design that's actually pretty damn unique?

Christ I would feel horrible being in the artist's place right now. Her first work out here, the first female champ in months that isn't some grimdark emo/villainess, and the response? ERMAGERD SHE'S GOT ****.

****ing puritans.
You're calling me a puritan when I actually said cleavage is not a bad thing if it has a purpose. Casseopeia: accentuates her personality and backstory. Zyra: Dryads have always had this sexualized thing going on, so it makes some sense in that regard. Mermaids... not really, no. And if anything, Riots' admitted core theme of "regal mermaid" is gone against by having her breasts exposed as they are: when was the last time you saw royalty showing the goods?

Avalon Bright

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan2swan View Post
But wouldn't any clothing that Zyra wore just get wet underwater? Mermaids are generally scantily-clad for a reason; the less clothing, the faster the swimming .Though the hydrodynamic faults...I can give you those, except that I'm pretty sure the split is just additional fins. Ventral fins.

I'm sure that this can make its way into some fic or another...how does she use those ventral fins...?

And personally, I don't think she IS that provocative. I think she's just pretty.
This. She's not striking a coy pose, she's not bending over to show off the ladies, she's just floating there. Doin' her fishy thing. Not that, y'know. There'd be a problem if she WAS, but seriously. Complaining about a champ as innocent-seeming as Nami is like complaining about a little girl at the beach.

Avalon Bright

11-17-2012

Quote:
You're calling me a puritan when I actually said cleavage is not a bad thing if it has a purpose. Casseopeia: accentuates her personality and backstory. Zyra: Dryads have always had this sexualized thing going on, so it makes some sense in that regard. Mermaids... not really, no. And if anything, Riots' admitted core theme of "regal mermaid" is gone against by having her breasts exposed as they are: when was the last time you saw royalty showing the goods?
The puritans part (hence plural) was pretty much aimed at everyone in this thread that's whining about her in the first place.

And like I just said in my previous post, she's a MERMAID. Mermaids do NOT WEAR CLOTHING. They'd get weighed down, they'd make it difficult to swim, they'd get in the way of their fins (particularly in the case of Nami's unique design with her arm fins, etc), and so on and so forth.

Hey, guess what. Primitive tribe leaders/ancient royalty/etc didn't wear that much either. Holy ****.

ihatebikeshorts

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan2swan View Post

This is a good point, and thank you for not openly insulting me like everyone else. The short answer is that it doesn't have to be clothing. it could be any other aqueous design that's fish-related. Maybe even one that hints at there curves there, but in this particular design, there are so many ways they could have avoided that detail all together. Not all champions need to be sexualized, and when the two female champions to come out this year that werne't sexualized were Lulu and Diana, ther'es a problem.

xSaintx

11-17-2012

So in my experience, people pick careers and jobs based one what they're interested in; not necessarily what their body features dictate. So, if some chick has big boobs, is she only suited for one job? If a chick has big boobs and wants to be an assassin, is that impossible for her to excel at that? This argument "Nami and Elise are not seductresses - they don't need huge racks", just doesn't make sense to me. Just because she has big boobs, that doesn't automatically make her a seductress.