@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cryswar

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogonk View Post
See, that's all you've got man. You can mock me, you can mock OP. You can toss off stupid little irrelevancies like "GIRLS HAVE BOOBS, DEAL WITH IT". But you can't actually address the issues, because you don't understand them. Odds are you're not even capable of understanding them, and you've made it quite clear you're not interested in being any less ignorant of the world.

You are delighted by your own stupidity, and you just come up with schoolyard insults for anyone who actually knows what they're talking about.
I don't care to weigh in on either side of this debate, but I do find it amusing that you're being significantly more caustic and inflammatory than the people you're insulting.

Just a lovely little spot of blatant hypocrisy on your point weakens an otherwise decent point.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joshthor

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogonk View Post
Tell you what. Bro.

Come up with one actual argument against the idea that sexualization of women in media has negative consequences. One argument that demonstrates that you even understand what is being discussed. And I'll take it all back.

But we both know you can't do that.
well i will tell you this. I hang out with mostly women, ive shown about 7 this game. i had them all play bot games. 4 of them chose ahri because she is pretty. 1 chose teemo cause he was cute. one chose diana because she had the same color hair, and 1 chose annie because she couldnt decide and i picked her an easy champ to learn.

so. on the oversexualization thing - i dont think girls really care. this game has very small characters whos ass nor boobs are right in front of you the whole game. so why is it an issue in this game?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogonk View Post
Because if you disagree that the hypersexualization of women in media exists, you are ignorant.

If you disagree that it's a bad thing, you are ignorant.

This has been studied exhaustively. It's not the conclusion of some kids on an internet forum, it's the result of decades of research and analysis in the social sciences. If you were to go around to college campuses and ask academics in the social sciences "Are women oversexualized in media and does it have negative consequences?", I highly doubt you could find even one professor in 100 who would say no.

That's why I keep laughing at how stupid you guys are. This isn't up for ****ing debate. You're just ignorant.

When you say something that's not completely idiotic or totally irrelevant to the actual point, I'll address it. In 19 pages that hasn't happened once.
Tell me.

Are you a professor of Psychology in Social Issues? Are you a professor of any sort?

No? Okay then, are you a university student who took sufficient amount of courses and read enough papers regarding gender issues? Also no?


What makes you think that you, or the OP, know any more than the rest of us?

In case you haven't noticed, gender issues such as this isn't black and white. Theorists and psychologists spents YEARS gathering their datas on phenomenons.

The "media is hyper-sexualized" and all your other claims have some scientific basis. There is no where near enough research and data to state them as facts as you think.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bloodwallow

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogonk View Post
Tell you what. Bro.

Come up with one actual argument against the idea that sexualization of women in media has negative consequences. One argument that demonstrates that you even understand what is being discussed. And I'll take it all back.

But we both know you can't do that.
"You don't know what I'm talking about. I'm so smart. I read about it in a peer reviewed journal. That makes me both studious and considerate of female issues. Please like me post feminist movement."

LoL predictable behavior is predictable.

If we were going to have a discussion... I would of course do that. bro. because I enjoy intellectual stimulation. but this is not a conversation. You are barking about something no1 cares about on an internet forum then spouting vituperative ad hominem comments because you think you are superior to the people you are talking to.

You aren't.

I have an IQ of 146 which means that there is a 99.8% chance that you are less intelligent than me. But I don't need to look at an IQ bell curve to figure that out. Anyone more than 1 or 2 standard deviations above the mean would realize that complaining about the boob size of animated women on the internet is the same as straining when you are constipated: it's incredibly unproductive, and no1 around you wants to hear it!

Thanks for the attempt at ridicule though! It's always funny to see the little brains try. I bet you are a blast at parties.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zertryx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogonk View Post
Tell you what. Bro.

Come up with one actual argument against the idea that sexualization of women in media has negative consequences. One argument that demonstrates that you even understand what is being discussed. And I'll take it all back.

But we both know you can't do that.

the thing is every female i play league with doesn't complain about the sexualized characters at all .... they actually love them and think they are cute, sexy, hot (and no they don't wanna be like them they just enjoy their look)

Same with men, why is it every guy that plays a fighting game or video game always pick the Macho man with Huge buff mussels and looks as if he took several steroids before being placed in the game?

It's due to the fact that its a game, they wanna play "cool, awesome, good looking" characters.

you know why i don't play corki despite him being a really good adc? because i can't stand the way he looks or his kit, I don't play himer either, i dislike playing urgot because he's god awful looking and character model looks lame, I have a hard time playing darius because too me he looks so boring.

Teemo gets played by like every girl i know because he is cute and adorable looking, Kog'maw looks cool too and most my female friends find him cute, my one female friend was actually really excited about the spider queen and her look and is obsessed with Ahri.

now imo the REAL issue here is ..... why are all the men over sexualized and buff or have awesome powers .... where is my Nerd dude that looks like twig and has glasses and uses gadgets .... oh right ..... they changed his character model from being nerdy looking to being more bad ass then they gave him a megaman skin, because no one would have wanted to play the nerdy guy. So we are left with prince charming chace, ima dunk you darius, buff me up jarvan, im so awesome garen, ima make a man outta you xin.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvier View Post
like i said in her sneak peak thread, they could make her top half look humanoid and feminine without giving her boobs. like having a ridge/"hill" where the boobs are instead of actual separate breasts.
also if she was so mammalian up top why not give her real hair?
i personally find the literal half human half fish mermaids to be generic and boring. they could have done a lot more with her like they -didnt- with elise
It's called stylization.


Why do any characters have any earrings, head ornaments, and colourfully designed armour? Stylization. Why does Fizz have tentacles for hair? Stylization.

Believe it or not, part of champion design is to also make them aesthetically pleasing.


And what more do you think they could have done with Elise, she literally appeals to both camps. Monstrous? Press the R buttton. Want sexy? Press the R button again.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NeoLG

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Sigh


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jenvas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-16-2012

As a character designer, i would like to play around with all sorts of bodytypes, there is more than one kind of attractivness. but if you look at the models of female champions, it looks like they all have the same base, just look at the faces.
I was very disappointed with elise, just compare her to smites arachne.
Riot can do what ever their want to improve the comunity, but with their designs they sure dont attract very mature players, and dont offer much for female players, like me.
I dont mind sexy champions, women like to be sexy, but not all the time. So its just about the choice.

But thats never gonna happen, Riot sticks to that cheap tactic for selling their female champions, and those who actually buy a champ just cause of the look... well those cant be too bright.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joshthor

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zertryx View Post
the thing is every female i play league with doesn't complain about the sexualized characters at all .... they actually love them and think they are cute, sexy, hot (and no they don't wanna be like them they just enjoy their look)

Same with men, why is it every guy that plays a fighting game or video game always pick the Macho man with Huge buff mussels and looks as if he took several steroids before being placed in the game?

It's due to the fact that its a game, they wanna play "cool, awesome, good looking" characters.

you know why i don't play corki despite him being a really good adc? because i can't stand the way he looks or his kit, I don't play himer either, i dislike playing urgot because he's god awful looking and character model looks lame, I have a hard time playing darius because too me he looks so boring.

Teemo gets played by like every girl i know because he is cute and adorable looking, Kog'maw looks cool too and most my female friends find him cute, my one female friend was actually really excited about the spider queen and her look and is obsessed with Ahri.

now imo the REAL issue here is ..... why are all the men over sexualized and buff or have awesome powers .... where is my Nerd dude that looks like twig and has glasses and uses gadgets .... oh right ..... they changed his character model from being nerdy looking to being more bad ass then they gave him a megaman skin, because no one would have wanted to play the nerdy guy. So we are left with prince charming chace, ima dunk you darius, buff me up jarvan, im so awesome garen, ima make a man outta you xin.
you have an awesome point here - i dont play ccharacters on most games because i think they are sexy. i play characters that i think are cool looking (or adorable). my top played champs are darius, renekton, leona, diana, ahri, brand, alistar, annie and teemo. yes, ahri has huge boobs, but she is the COOLEST looking champ. (expecially foxfire ahri).

on street fighter, i play zanghief exclusively on RPGs my first character is always male, second could be male or female.

the only exception to this rule is mmos - i play almost only females on those games.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zertryx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-16-2012

Mermaids - "A mermaid is a legendary aquatic creature with the upper body of a woman and the tail of a fish. Mermaids appear in the folklore of many cultures worldwide, including the Near East, Europe, and Asia. The first stories appeared in ancient Assyria, in which the goddess Atargatis transforms herself into a mermaid out of shame for accidentally killing her human lover. Mermaids are sometimes depicted as perilous creatures associated with floods, storms, shipwrecks, and drowning. In other folk traditions (or sometimes within the same tradition) they can be benevolent, bestowing boons or falling in love with humans"

Now ... do you think mermaids had clothes since they lived in the ocean? No.

In fact a large amount of paintings of mermaids show them completely topless (no scales on the upper body) and people didn't consider that really sexual, it was just commonly accepted that women had boobs and was a sign of BEAUTY, you all are making boobs out to be some kinda sexual deviant on a pedestal and they really are not.

IN FACT ... Riot actually made her cover up more then most mermaids who have Seashells for bras ....

Paintings of Mermaids
http://puu.sh/1qLUF
http://puu.sh/1qLUV
http://puu.sh/1qLV3

I would link more paintings but you all might have a heart attack with the sight of a boob