@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Imperfectable

11-18-2012

Why are such a disproportionate number of the good mid-lane champions female? Is Riot trying to say men are too dumb to do wizardry?!

Hint: The answer is because the champion concepts come from individuals saying, "Hey, wouldn't it be neat if..." and not a Gender Issues Professor standing in front of a massive grid of every champion arranged by gender stereotypes thinking very carefully about how they can best buck society's preconceptions about gender roles in fantasy combat.

That's not to say that a female barbarian isn't a cool concept and isn't worth pursuing (Sejuani?), but by nature when people think "bruiser" or "tank" the natural images that come to mind are things like Conan the Barbarian. Developed in a vacuum, the majority of people are more likely to come up with "AP" type concepts for female characters, because they are easier to fully actualize due to being an extension of our shared conceptual "language" as a culture and as a genre. (The genre in this case being "fantasy".)

Yes, Riot should try to make sure they create characters now and then that buck the stereotype - and they do. No, they shouldn't try to make every character buck the stereotype, or even most of them. Artistically, completely inverting stereotypes just for the sake of doing it is a childish sort of thing that throws out any sense of meaningful art psychology for the sake of making yourself (falsely) feel "progressive" when you are, in fact, simply highlighting and reinforcing the stereotype by inverting it.

There are female tanks (Sejuani and Leona), female bruisers (Fiora and Irelia), male supports (Alistar and Taric), "soft" male mages (Malzahar and Zilean), etc. The only area I would honestly say the number of "off-gender" champions is conspicuously low is the female tanks, mainly because Leona is a dedicated support (ie, non-jungler/top) and Sejuani is completely unused.

ColleenandProlly

11-18-2012

Colleen disagrees, why can't she sound young? How old is she anyway? Does said age have a 1:1 ratio with earth human age? Why do people care so much, have you seen all of the guys in this game? Though Colleen agrees, that if you have something to say you should vocalize it.

Btw, what is the ratio of earth human age to Runeterra human age, and why does Annie have such a big head? Did her mom get hit with the fallout from a ghostrock nuke before she was born?

Prolly:
I would like to apologize, Colleen is more that slightly bouncing off the walls.

Imperfectable

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zertryx View Post
Imagine if Dante from devil may cry was a nerdy skinny kid from a highschool ..... that game would be 100x less fun and would have failed.
... if you haven't seen the new Devil May Cry game developed by Ninja Theory yet, well, I have some bad news for you...

YUSONAMES

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
Except Riot said they are trying to portray different female body types.

I want them to either do what they say they are going to do or flat out state that this is going to continue being a **** and ass show so their fans can be informed.
Im willing to bet my 1.2k dollar computer if they made a fat female champ akin to gragas youd be up in arms in an outrage.

Zertryx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailias View Post
So lets start by cutting that list in half by removing all the children/yordles

You're still left with a group of females who are all thin (despite many wearing rather heavy armor) and still large breasted. I have no idea why people consider Lux flat chested, she's still quite large and pronounced. There is no variation in body size or age.

As for your secondary post, yeah I guess I did forget a few of the guys, but all of the recent ones have been female.

As for the female being the nurturer... in many species this is far from the case.
the bolded part is your problem, you are only looking at a narrow window of the overall product. Age actually is varried, also "large and pronounced"? how can you tell what her size is? lux is also 15, but again the average boob size in America is D cup ... so imo allot of these champions are under developed. to me allot of the boobs look like B and C but then again they are ALSO FAKE drawings and there is no dimensions to say how big or small a champion is.

Also, i dont sit here and look at a champs boobs and be like omg i must complain she has boobs, no i look at the champ overall and think ok she's an archer has a sweet bow i see ice she must deal with ice she has a caped hood and cool pose ...... not once did i ever think ashe had big boobs either, and then one day i saw someone complain about them and i was like ... for real? they are avg looking.

The day people complained about sejuani i decided planet earth was no longer my home and i must be living on another one.

The day men started complaining about boobs on chicks was the day i lost hope in humanity, not to mention every female gamer i know in person who plays these games actually like and LOVE the character designs of champions like Ahri, elise, caitlyn, sona and never once complained or was offended by them. because they dont sit there trying to dissect the image and find the little pieces to complain about when theres a bigger over all picture to enjoy

darkwithless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Yusonames, Riot doesn't even have to do that, they just have to produce the Lady Gragas skin.

zZBlackmatterZz

11-18-2012

Anyone else find it odd that we have such a strong thread about the oversexuality of females yet has anyone looked at the comments and how people speak to each other in tribunal lately? I have yet to be in a game where the guys playing are like...damn these boobs on this champion I am playing are WAY too big. They are like F Off, and Screw you, and Stop Feeding, and KILL, AND PUUUUSSSHHH! GG

Finch Toast

11-18-2012

Quote:
Pretty much how i feel about the male champions, the human guys are all depicted as muscular but i dont find it a reason to complain because 1: i know its a game 2: when i play the games i do i like to play things i dont see in real life.

Imagine if Dante from devil may cry was a nerdy skinny kid from a highschool ..... that game would be 100x less fun and would have failed. Better example .... Imagine if DRAVEN wasn't Draven and instead some average weak guy in his 20's ...... people would flip tables
Lol, Watch out for that tre.. table. I agree and if riot had gone that way there would be a lot more out cry's about champion looks.

Don't worry girls we have Taric to keep us company until they have a chance to create a new female who's not so sexualized.

(I do have to say, though off topic, I do not like the look of Dante in the latest reboot.)

Zertryx

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfectable View Post
... if you haven't seen the new Devil May Cry game developed by Ninja Theory yet, well, I have some bad news for you...
thats my point right there, people already are complaining about the game based on dantes new look alone.

Finch Toast

11-18-2012

Quote:
thats my point right there, people already are complaining about the game based on dantes new look alone.
I've been caught! xD