@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hawkingbird

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Normally I hate boob windows and all that, but for a mermaid it makes sense! Think typical mermaid fantasy and they are either wearing a shell-bra or nothing at all. I think Riot has done a pretty good job here of avoiding the shell-bra but still keeping the mermaid feel.

And thanks to Morello and IronStylus for putting up with the flame, just keep doing what you're doing and give us more awesome stuff like Nami.

Also how have you been pronouncing her name? Nah-me like in Tsunami, or Nam-ee? I've been using Nah-mee coz that is (iirc) the correct Japanese pronunciation.

YamiBelgarath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Best.Red.Posts.Ever.

also, this thread is now over.

MagikShot

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
All of the male characters (that we're happy with...) have strong musculature and other traditionally powerful, male features.
Ezreal and Master Yi? lol

jk

Anduraga

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Oh rly?

Teemo needs more skins.

Also...errr nvm. You know.
Lies, where is the new Viktor skin? The Glorious Evolution must continue!

Unwilling Fire

11-18-2012

Wait wait wait. I think I got it wrong. The problem is that Nami is underdressed? Oh god. She's beautiful and fresh and a wonderful representation of a mermaid. I just think there never really was an attempt to make female champions with diverse body types (even girls with smaller breasts are hard to see here). But please, don't change her, she is lovely!

innervation

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You have got to be kidding me...
Don't let it get to you man...two words (from Zileas no less). Fake. Outrage. After everything you guys have done, any forum response that makes you say "you've got to be kidding me" either is, or is filled with fake outrage.

TheFlyingSpoon

11-18-2012

Just bring in Schdadle the duck. That will make the masses happy.

Zertryx

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwilling Fire View Post
Wait wait wait. I think I got it wrong. The problem is that Nami is underdressed? Oh god. She's beautiful and fresh and a wonderful representation of a mermaid. But please, don't change her, she is lovely!
This, if you actually look at pictures of mermaids they are infact fully undressed up top or had seashell bras, Nami on the other hand has way more covered up then any mermaid i have ever seen

Imperfectable

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
And what about more non-human females? Alistar is male. Cho is male. Corki/Heim/Rumble/Teemo/Ziggs are male. Fid is (arguably) male. Galio is male. Hecarim is male. Karthus (if he counts) is male. Khazix is male. Koggy is male. Malph is male. Maokai is male. Mordekaiser is male. Nasus is male. Naut is male. Noc is male. Rammus is male(?). Renekton is male. Rengar is male. Shaco is male. Twitch is male. Volibear is male. Warwick is male. Wukong is male. Xerath is male. (that was leaving out anything quasi-human and hybrid human+x)

In contrast, for females we have Anivia, Orianna, Lulu, and Trist.
Shaco isn't non-human (or at least not supposed to be identifiably so), he's just one of the aforementioned "derpy" designs, along with Sion (who is undead, but an undead human and thus shouldn't really look as non-human as he does). They both mostly just come down to being really old designs that aren't quite up to the current standards for quality.

Catches Axes

11-18-2012

Mughi... gets it.

Few people don't want attractive women represented in the game. Every character is an idealization of something. Many are sexualized in some way and for quite a few, sexualization is a primary visual motif (Varus, Miss Fortune). They could turn around and do an actual seductress character tomorrow, and her hips and boobs wouldn't be the problem that they are on Elise and Nami, because they'd fit the character.

The misconception that keeps popping up is that it is somehow contemptible or wrongheaded to expect that LoL's female champions will reflect the real variety of life. The more pernicious version is the idea that the hourglass shape (huge hips - slim waist - huge breasts) is not just an idealized female but THE idealized female.

Nami doesn't need a gigantic bust and she doesn't need borderline-atrophied arms, but these things are ok on her as a mermaid (the bust is pretty unusual for a mermaid, though) - but the hips? Why? She's supposed to be a fish from the waist down. Why does she need those curves?

But truthfully, I don't think Nami is a particularly severe offender. She's not far from what I expect to see in a mermaid, her bust is a bit big, her hips are a lot big, but it's not far from the normal mermaid depiction. Elise is by far the worst recent offender. Her figure could radiate deadly control. Instead, she's pure seductress. It actually fails her character; she is a weaker character because of her body shape.