@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Llann

11-17-2012

100 pages of 'OH NOES TEH MERMAID IS SEXY!'

People are... um... passionate about this issue. =D

Drewqt

11-17-2012

A mermaid with boobs. HOW UNREASONABLE. Next thing you know Riot will make a ninja with a hood.

parentheses

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewqt View Post
A mermaid with boobs. HOW UNREASONABLE. Next thing you know Riot will make a ninja with a hood.
Or a ninja with strips covering her breasts and ample sideboob. Or a ninja with a skimpy nurse outfit.

Oh...wait...

White Rose13

11-17-2012

I'm so glad I'm not a woman. Time to go back to wearing dresses to hide your ankles or you'll be stoned for being a harlot ladies. -_-"

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Frankly, I have to agree with the original post. This is mostly a symptom of the kind of fantasy League draws from for inspiration and not really a failing on League itself in particular, but it does grow rather tiresome to see every female released to sport the "ideal" human form in some capacity or another. Why is Annie the only prodigal child of Valoran? How likely is it that when making a human (or humanesque) child, that the design team nudges them towards being a yordle instead of being a kid?

I know it's a long shot, but plenty of monster designs could easily be female or male without any physical indication of such. Puck, from Dota, has been an It, a Male, and Female in various lore reiteration and player speculation, and that didn't change Puck's character model at all (ie: they didn't give the faerie dragon giant breasts or a manly chest when her gender kept changing back and forth). The reason this is a long shot is because of Riot's aversion to monster designs, which makes the likelihood of a true monster being identified as a female rather small. Kha'Zix could have been female, who can really tell when you're giant insect predator? Kog'maw is similarly gender neutral in design, Nocturne is a manifestation of a nightmare which means he doesn't have to be "male", and even Fizz could have female as he's clearly his own race of people who aren't mammalian, meaning they could lack the very thing everyone has issues with.

It wouldn't be as big of an issue though if the majority of these champions weren't putting their assets on display. This is more prominently true when you look at the human-form designs of Zyra and Elise. Their manner of dress is intentionally bare and revealing, but what reason (other than maybe Zyra) do they have to dress in this manner? Elise, especially, pushes the boundaries of what could be considered acceptable coverage, and I can't think of any reason that someone who is considered a prophet would have to dress in this manner to get people to follow her.

But I think the biggest truth that points to this being an issue is when they DO release a female who is more modest in design (Leona, Diana), Riot always makes a point to remind everyone of this fact. "We heard your blah blah so here is Female Champion X, who wears blah to cover her blah more obviously and purposefully blah blah blah". Riot shouldn't have to justify why this female champion is wearing armor or clothes that are more suited to combat or their station, but they do because they know their typical female design choices adhere to the "more TnA" female design bible. The fact they feel obligated to remind players that not all of their designs follow the design of 98% of their female champion pool speaks more volumes about how aware they are of the issue than any number of threads we make could possibly make.

I just say, use a design that makes sense for the character from all angles, not just the visually appealing one. Have a champion wearing attire and acting in a manner benefiting their lore. Cassiopeia is still "sexy" to some degree because that was her role while she was still 100% human, so her design doesn't bother me at all. Elise has no need to be 80% revealed, but she is and that's why I have a problem with her (not to mention that it really doesn't make much sense for her to gain followers when you can clearly see she isn't human anyway unless there's mind control going on). Nami is a mermaid, and I don't know her lore, but she is adhering to how mermaids are commonly portraid in most fantasy settings so I'm reserving judgment on her. It's still disappointing, though, that she looks like most of the rest of the female cast design.

Apex Angel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

1. Go to google
2. Search for Mermaids
3. Click on images
4. Compare found images to Nami

If you still think that Nami is overly sexualized, then write your congressmen because there is obviously an epidemic in the world.

AstroNautiIus

11-17-2012

Has it ever occurred to anyone that females have breasts? I don't think making breastless females would solve anything. Seems like people are offended by females to begin with.

blobbert

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
You're rehired.
with a promotion no doubt

Tyreek Danger

11-17-2012

yolo

Jiz Khalifa

11-17-2012

Worst thread NA, someone please delete for the sake of humanity.