Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Nami - feedback and questions thread

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

faisal6

11-28-2012

When is nami coming out.

TheBuhdazzla

11-29-2012

Classick idk if you're still looking at this, but I'm honestly wondering what was the thought process behind Nami's kit?

What was the thought process behind Nami's design? Why structure her kit like that? What does she bring to the support role that was missing, or could easily be banned out and need a second option? What niche is she filling?

As weird as it is, the kit feels pretty similar to Tarics, though a little less powerful. Taric has better CC, better sustain, a stronger burst rotation -- though Nami has the slow on her E and the R presence.

In your eyes, why do I pick Nami? Under what situations? Who is she ideal with? What makes Nami worth grabbing over any other support champion?

Edit: As a point of comparison, look at Janna vs. Lulu's kits. They are VERY similar, but they play radically different and sort of fulfill different niches but having overlap. For example, Janna is a shielder with a steroid which is ideal against AD champions that have a heal debuff -- Lulu also has a shield and a damage steroid. Janna has a slow, Lulu has a slow (skillshot vs. targeted, but Lulu's can hit multiple targets and doesn't "slow" Lulu); Lulu has a movement speed buff, Janna has her passive; Lulu has a silence/AA removal, Janna effectively accomplishes the same with her tornado (I recognize they aren't the same and this is a point of difference). Lulu has a large disruption ult, as does Janna.

If you want to pick Janna but don't have access to her, you can (in many situations) pick Lulu to satisfy the kit gaps you need, in spite of the fact these two champions play radically different. How does this exist with Nami? Does this exist with Nami? If it doesn't exist -- why doesn't it? With a kit that feels so "generic," is that a good thing or a bad thing if it doesn't exist?

Healsforhugs

11-29-2012

I finally got around to trying out Nami a few times with the recent...changes..

I don't particularly agree with the nerfs to the slow on her ultimate, since the knock up isn't as big as other knock ups. But I don't want to complain, she still works fine.

The change to her E though, that is actually the biggest thing that I feel really hurt her oddly enough. When I play Nami, I get the feeling that shes a very long range support. I really felt that when she had long range on her E. Being able to give slows and a small speed up from a distance really helped secure kills. I can't see why that would need to be changed because its still dependent on landing a skill shot or an auto attack, its not a guaranteed kill even if I buff them. I believe it should be more in line with Kayle's single target speed increase since its not AOE.

Edit: Not being able to adequately use her passive for chasing makes her passive seem lackluster.
E isn't the most interesting ability as it is, the nerf to her range doesn't help at all.
I still feel like her E needs something more so your AD carry realizes they can slow their opponent.

Uwielbaum Piwo11

11-29-2012

Quote:
Ebb and Flow
Mana cost increased to 70/85/100/115/130 from 60/75/90/105/120

hmm...why raise her mana cost, when she has no mana?....this will be a big BIG problem earli on..

Lozan

11-29-2012

Quote:
Garzek:
I'm not just over the hype and the excitement, I think reskinning old champions is a silly design standpoint to have. What's the point to introducing a new champion if she has no place in the game or a reason to pick her?

Why would I pick Nami? I haven't found an answer to this. Why would I pick Nami when I could take other champions? Her Q, if you manage to land it, opens up strong harass, so that works probably the best with Kog'maw, but in general isn't going to be too impactful early game and remains easy to dodge. At most, you can trade mana to deny CS, which I suppose is valuable but most supports can do that.

Her W I still can't find a point to at all. I am definitely not going to pick Nami for the W. I might pick Nami fro the combination of Q and E, but I don't think there's a single reason to pick Nami for the W.

There's also no way I am picking Nami for her ult.

So what I am left with is wanting Nami for the fact she's one of two "true" supports capable of stunning without coming into harm's way, and one of three total (I do count Anivia as a viable support pick).

Her W is worse than Sona and Soraka's healing, so if I am wanting to sustain, I am not picking Nami. If I want to harass, Lulu, ANY of the AP MId convert picks, and Sona are stronger in this category.

The E is the only thing that she brings to the table that is downright scary and makes Nami worth picking. It's also the most "boring" thing in her kit. It's a great ability for basically every single AD Carry, and especially shines with champions like Kog'maw, who can have super long range, stacks attack speed, and benefits from getting slowing pressure on his targets, who are basically going to try to run for their lives after he activates his W.

Her ult gives her some degree of team fight presence -- but is it enough? I'd take Sona, Nunu, Anivia, Fiddlesticks, Zyra, Alistar, Janna, (a well played) Taric, Lulu, and Leona in favor of Nami for their ults in a team fight. I left Soraka off the list because Wish is not necessarily weak but can be undercut by the wealth of healing reduction in the game, Lux I left off because I don't think final flash does quite enough damage on support lux to put out the kind of team fight pressure that is needed, albeit in season 3 she becomes slightly more viable due to stronger AP choices for supports.

I don't think it's ridiculous to think that when we only get 2 supports a year, they should be better than "meh" releases. There's no "choice" on Nami. There's no thinking.

Here's an "easy" fix that I think instantly makes Nami more worth taking:

-Either increase the cast speed (decreasing the cast time) on Nami's Q so that it's slightly easier to land (not because I can't land it, but because it is incredibly loudly telegraphed and takes forever to land), or increase the stun duration (higher risk demands higher reward than a stun that's outclassed by Taric's non-skillshot).

-Change her W into a "healing wave" type of spell. Make it bounce between allies (or enemies), but not both. Make me choose whether I want to use it to harass or to heal, but I shouldn't have to put myself into an extremely high risk situation to get any usefulness of a spell that already has minimum reward.

I agree with every point here besides the changes to her W. I think her W just needs a buff to number of bounces and, instead of damaging foes, do something like slow them or some Armor/Magic Resist reduction. Something that helps her SUPPORT her team in team fights.

TheBuhdazzla

11-30-2012

Quote:
Lozan:
I agree with every point here besides the changes to her W. I think her W just needs a buff to number of bounces and, instead of damaging foes, do something like slow them or some Armor/Magic Resist reduction. Something that helps her SUPPORT her team in team fights.

While I agree with this change, Nami remains overly simple and without decision making in her kit, unlike many of the other supports.

Shaaggy D

11-30-2012

GREAT CHAMP mid lane

Void2258

11-30-2012

Why are Nami's sharks grey now?

Also can we have them do something more that just be in her joke? Maybe they pop up and bite enemies hit by Ebb & Flow? A shark with a med kit in it's mouth pops up for the healing half?

Jujubee

11-30-2012

Her mana costs are ridiculous and her Q is SUPER clunky.

Arizel

11-30-2012

my cent.

I trust that you guys know exactly what you guys are doing, but when Ahri's ultimate did its knock up, I viewed it as a very nice counter to the mobility AD carry meta considering that all the popular AD carry picks have a movement displacement ability. But with the pre release nerfs to her ratios, her heals, the range of her ultimate, and the useage of her ultimate... well... I'm seeing less and less of a reason to pick her over sona, fiddles, or zyra as my go to supports.

I do realize that in the coming season 3 changes, phantom dancer is getting noifed to the ground and that all champions are getting a base MS buff to kinda equalize the field on mobility creep, but I don't think it really changes just how strong the mobility displacement moves of ADcarries are or the current support line up. if we are just looking at the factors I mentioned.