Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Nami - feedback and questions thread

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Soulwolf

11-27-2012

generally nami makes for a very fine support.

i just see two things that really trouble me.

her W can either be very strong or super ineffective. why can it not jump between allies or enemies straight away?
it makes the use of this skill very inconsistent.

also is the knock up of her ultimate supposed to be so delayed? it seemed very glitchy

TheBuhdazzla

11-27-2012

After spending more time with Nami and the excitement of a new support wearing off, I have to wonder: what niche does Nami fill with her kit? What is she bringing to the table that wasn't already there?

Just going down her kit:

Q that stuns. We effectively have this on Janna already, who is a traditional support. We then also have pretty effectively the same thing on Alistar, Blitzucrankuh, (who I do realize are permabans), as well as Anivia (who I think with Chalice now having a support build path is only going to become more popular). I guess you have the nuance of it being a more difficult skillshot (in the sense that it's a top-down instead of bottom-up version of Rupture), but I don't see what's being created here that was missing in the bot lane in mass.

W that heals/damage. This is fairly unique (in terms of no one brings something exactly like it) but has minimal impact. It still feels weak for the mana cost, the heal is too low to really be worth a whole lot in combat for the most part (but does have presence at rank 5), but the mana cost is too high to use it to sustain out of combat. It's still not necessarily reliable to use and in order to be maximized, requires you to come uncomfortably close into range (so that you can get a double bounce to deal damage in the lane phase), which not only is counter-intuitive to her general longer-range kit, but is incredibly risky considering she doesn't really have a way to get herself out well afterwards, unless the enemy has already blown all CC.

Her E is unique-ish and I think it's arguably the only thing I still like about her kit. It's like a gimpy red buff, which I think was a good call, and is diverse in its function which is cool. In a lot of ways, it's like Janna's E, but it feels more powerful because you can actually use it to trade. The difference though is that Janna who has move speed as well as a shield to help poke (or help her ADC poke), Nami only gets this E. Odds are, Nami is going to be hit back on her trades and that creates a problem considering she can't heal off that damage like most supports can't (or shield off that damage like most supports can). It is still an awesome ability to toss onto your ADC and I think it's a great skill that offers choice, much like Lulu or Sona (both of which I consider some of the best designed supports in the game because they offer real play choices).

Her ult, at this point, feels like a weaker Crescendo. The big-time knock up is a cool mechanic, and the size of the spell compensates for the fact other champions can perform this action. It still feels lack luster (especially compared against Crescendo), and i think would benefit from having an attack speed debuff or something attached to it. I need a reason to want Tidal Wave over Crescendo and currently there isn't one.

All accounted for, I am not really seeing a reason why to pick Nami over Lulu or Sona. While Sona has less CC than Nami, she has much stronger poke, better sustain, better mobility, a better ult, and can effectively beef up her carry just as much if not more. Lulu also has much stronger poke, better CC (hello Whimsy), a stronger Ult (sorry, but a heal ignite can't reduce the value of? That's only stronger in Season 3 since Supports can pick up some AP now), better mobility, and a shield.

While Nami gets a slight bit of a sustain advantage over Lulu, Lulu gets stronger poke, mobility, and CC. And it's all more reliable.

To me, Nami feels like a misfire now. She feels very bland and boring, and I don't feel like she offers anything that works super well with anyone in particular.

Especially considering the potential for melee ADC botlanes in Season 3 -- Nami's kit does not support that at ALL.

I know it's late to do a full kit tweaking, but she needs it.

SDT 3rdwrldmrshl

11-28-2012

Her W mana cost seems fine to me. It would seem that other people who think otherwise don't use it to its full potential. Her W can be extremely useful and is very powerful. You can use it to hit a fleeing enemy while your ally is just ahead of you or vice versa (heal an ally while an enemy is chasing them). And in order to counter the mana hungry problems you may face, just buy a chalice as your second or third item and you wont have any problems unless you have large fights, but those dont usually happen till mid and late game so there is no problem. Building her is key to creating a mana sustain and allowing her abilities to be used as effectively as possible. and with all the new items, building with a s2 mind set just wont work right anymore.

SDT 3rdwrldmrshl

11-28-2012

Quote:
Garzek:
After spending more time with Nami and the excitement of a new support wearing off, I have to wonder: what niche does Nami fill with her kit? What is she bringing to the table that wasn't already there?

Just going down her kit:

Q that stuns. We effectively have this on Janna already, who is a traditional support. We then also have pretty effectively the same thing on Alistar, Blitzucrankuh, (who I do realize are permabans), as well as Anivia (who I think with Chalice now having a support build path is only going to become more popular). I guess you have the nuance of it being a more difficult skillshot (in the sense that it's a top-down instead of bottom-up version of Rupture), but I don't see what's being created here that was missing in the bot lane in mass.

W that heals/damage. This is fairly unique (in terms of no one brings something exactly like it) but has minimal impact. It still feels weak for the mana cost, the heal is too low to really be worth a whole lot in combat for the most part (but does have presence at rank 5), but the mana cost is too high to use it to sustain out of combat. It's still not necessarily reliable to use and in order to be maximized, requires you to come uncomfortably close into range (so that you can get a double bounce to deal damage in the lane phase), which not only is counter-intuitive to her general longer-range kit, but is incredibly risky considering she doesn't really have a way to get herself out well afterwards, unless the enemy has already blown all CC.

Her E is unique-ish and I think it's arguably the only thing I still like about her kit. It's like a gimpy red buff, which I think was a good call, and is diverse in its function which is cool. In a lot of ways, it's like Janna's E, but it feels more powerful because you can actually use it to trade. The difference though is that Janna who has move speed as well as a shield to help poke (or help her ADC poke), Nami only gets this E. Odds are, Nami is going to be hit back on her trades and that creates a problem considering she can't heal off that damage like most supports can't (or shield off that damage like most supports can). It is still an awesome ability to toss onto your ADC and I think it's a great skill that offers choice, much like Lulu or Sona (both of which I consider some of the best designed supports in the game because they offer real play choices).

Her ult, at this point, feels like a weaker Crescendo. The big-time knock up is a cool mechanic, and the size of the spell compensates for the fact other champions can perform this action. It still feels lack luster (especially compared against Crescendo), and i think would benefit from having an attack speed debuff or something attached to it. I need a reason to want Tidal Wave over Crescendo and currently there isn't one.

All accounted for, I am not really seeing a reason why to pick Nami over Lulu or Sona. While Sona has less CC than Nami, she has much stronger poke, better sustain, better mobility, a better ult, and can effectively beef up her carry just as much if not more. Lulu also has much stronger poke, better CC (hello Whimsy), a stronger Ult (sorry, but a heal ignite can't reduce the value of? That's only stronger in Season 3 since Supports can pick up some AP now), better mobility, and a shield.

While Nami gets a slight bit of a sustain advantage over Lulu, Lulu gets stronger poke, mobility, and CC. And it's all more reliable.

To me, Nami feels like a misfire now. She feels very bland and boring, and I don't feel like she offers anything that works super well with anyone in particular.

Especially considering the potential for melee ADC botlanes in Season 3 -- Nami's kit does not support that at ALL.

I know it's late to do a full kit tweaking, but she needs it.

You're just over the hype and excitement and want something completely new. Nami isn't something completely new, just a new twist on old techniques. I don't think they were trying to make her something that league doesn't have (although at the same time, in some ways, they were).

TheBuhdazzla

11-28-2012

Quote:
3rdwrldmrshl:
You're just over the hype and excitement and want something completely new. Nami isn't something completely new, just a new twist on old techniques. I don't think they were trying to make her something that league doesn't have (although at the same time, in some ways, they were).

I'm not just over the hype and the excitement, I think reskinning old champions is a silly design standpoint to have. What's the point to introducing a new champion if she has no place in the game or a reason to pick her?

Why would I pick Nami? I haven't found an answer to this. Why would I pick Nami when I could take other champions? Her Q, if you manage to land it, opens up strong harass, so that works probably the best with Kog'maw, but in general isn't going to be too impactful early game and remains easy to dodge. At most, you can trade mana to deny CS, which I suppose is valuable but most supports can do that.

Her W I still can't find a point to at all. I am definitely not going to pick Nami for the W. I might pick Nami fro the combination of Q and E, but I don't think there's a single reason to pick Nami for the W.

There's also no way I am picking Nami for her ult.

So what I am left with is wanting Nami for the fact she's one of two "true" supports capable of stunning without coming into harm's way, and one of three total (I do count Anivia as a viable support pick).

Her W is worse than Sona and Soraka's healing, so if I am wanting to sustain, I am not picking Nami. If I want to harass, Lulu, ANY of the AP MId convert picks, and Sona are stronger in this category.

The E is the only thing that she brings to the table that is downright scary and makes Nami worth picking. It's also the most "boring" thing in her kit. It's a great ability for basically every single AD Carry, and especially shines with champions like Kog'maw, who can have super long range, stacks attack speed, and benefits from getting slowing pressure on his targets, who are basically going to try to run for their lives after he activates his W.

Her ult gives her some degree of team fight presence -- but is it enough? I'd take Sona, Nunu, Anivia, Fiddlesticks, Zyra, Alistar, Janna, (a well played) Taric, Lulu, and Leona in favor of Nami for their ults in a team fight. I left Soraka off the list because Wish is not necessarily weak but can be undercut by the wealth of healing reduction in the game, Lux I left off because I don't think final flash does quite enough damage on support lux to put out the kind of team fight pressure that is needed, albeit in season 3 she becomes slightly more viable due to stronger AP choices for supports.

I don't think it's ridiculous to think that when we only get 2 supports a year, they should be better than "meh" releases. There's no "choice" on Nami. There's no thinking.

Here's an "easy" fix that I think instantly makes Nami more worth taking:

-Either increase the cast speed (decreasing the cast time) on Nami's Q so that it's slightly easier to land (not because I can't land it, but because it is incredibly loudly telegraphed and takes forever to land), or increase the stun duration (higher risk demands higher reward than a stun that's outclassed by Taric's non-skillshot).

-Change her W into a "healing wave" type of spell. Make it bounce between allies (or enemies), but not both. Make me choose whether I want to use it to harass or to heal, but I shouldn't have to put myself into an extremely high risk situation to get any usefulness of a spell that already has minimum reward.

cocacolalips

11-28-2012

The Art :

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zopEAzDno_s/ULWmIROuywI/AAAAAAAAKjU/YAXAs3IefOk/s1600/5IGrM.jpg

Her head seems a bit off, and should be more centered in relation to her torso.

Isn't just me?

Otherwise, I like it. She does look much less peaceful than on her concept art tho !

Llywelyn

11-28-2012

I have to agree with Garzek...

I kept thinking that her Ult is a weaker version of Crescendo and both the Q and R shots are easily dodgeable unless you happen to get the enemies into a tight area...

While I am still learning this game, I find that landing the Q is near impossible on players... much easier on bots...

The W can be OK, but the mechanic of only being able to heal/hurt ally/enemy/ally or enemy/ally/enemy makes the heal utility severly limited until you get to team fights, then its fairly lackluster in how much it heals unless you start building AP items early which I have not the money to do with my build. Perhaps I need to add an AP item earlier, but I still feel the need to put the Team needs ahead of mine until the end of the game.

I will probably buy her as I like the idea and the play style.

Zaenos

11-28-2012

Honestly, I like Nami, or rather, I really want to. But there are a couple big things that stand out to me as needing improvement.

1. I'm not terribly fond of her new splash art as compared to the concept art that was being used. Her appearance in the concept art had a softness to it that actually really appealed to me. Tougher action poses are fine on some champs (I'm loving the new Brand art, for example), but it just doesn't seem right on her.

2. Her voice is in a similar problem. The actual voice itself seems great, but the intonation of it just doesn't feel right, as do some of the things she says.

3. She can't farm worth a nickel. Seriously, like, at all. Granted, she's supposed to be a support, but this drives me insane when playing her. Sometimes your carry leaves lane; sometimes you are alone for a little while; sometimes you need to catch up a little late game. But Nami gets her life bread through assists alone, and she has no other option. She is completely and utterly dependent on others to do anything, and is the only champion who this is true for. Even Soraka has Starcall, and Sona Hymn of Valor.
(On a somewhat related note, trying to win an all-bot custom game with her is probably the most frustrating thing I've ever done in LoL).

Muel

11-28-2012

Agree with some previous posts that the slash art could do with some retouching

1) The colour/style/tone is kind of inconsistent with the art of other champions. Perhaps a different colouring technique is used in her splash? She doesn't have that hand-drawn manga-anime touch to it. She looks more like a computer graphic generated character from a film. Maybe there are more reflections of light on her body, she has a plastic/gel texture.

2) The way she holds her staff looks unnatural. The bubbles suggest that she is swinging the staff forward, but the position of her arms and the muscles do not look like she has swung the staff forward. Given the length of her staff, the bubbles produced should form a much deeper arc. Right now, those bubbles suggest a much shorter staff or that she keeps the staff extremely close to her body when swinging it. In short, unnatural.

I really like the overall concept, skill set, and the feel of this character. Hopefully, something can be done to make her splash art more appealing.

H2ojames

11-28-2012

Don't listen to any of them riot!!

As far as abilities the only things bothering me are, she needs a buff on healing/damaging(not a lot just a little bit more), and I think her W should bounce regardless if a target has been hit.

For her Art omfg I do not know why ANYONE is complaining. I love the art so so so much. She's a mermaid underwater not a human.

I honestly can not wait for her she needs to be released first thing tomorrow thanks