Thank you Maokai

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Viking McNord

11-20-2012

Skarner's quotes are extra sad too.
"This world is so strange"
"I miss my kind"
"The Crystal Scar is weeping"
Just to name a few.

Brian Wildblade

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollgernautt View Post
When Maokai was released, I had just started seeing a therapist. I was depressed. I really enjoy tank/support champions, so he was a very pleasant addition to my playable characters. I could not realize at first, but game after game, after hearing his quotes over and over, I finally started connecting with him.

Have anyone ever stop to think about one of his quotes? It goes like: "I would end this burden, but it always returns".

Can you grasp the content of this phrase?

Well, it means Maokai tried to kill himself (I won't refer to him as "it").

Most of us are adults here, ok? We all get it, it's a game. But... when I realized the hell Maokai was going though. Trapped in a life he did not ask for, in a world he could not fully understand, surrounded by people that could not (or did not want to) help. I swear, it brought tears to my eyes. Because I can completely relate to that feeling.

And to finally state something: I believe that is the role of the lore in the game. Making you feel connected to something, making you think about yourself and the ones around you. Riot can only go so far with the lore, we have to meet in the middle. We have to reach and listen to the champions, because many of them have very deep messages behind them.

You may not like some of the stories told, you may call them "weak" or "fail", but remember that they mean something to someone over there. And every now and then, try to listen to what your favorite champion have to say. You might be surprised.

I'd like to thank Riot's artists who work on the champions lore. Especially the one responsible for Maokai's lore. You helped me a lot with the simple words of a sad tree.

And sorry for my english, hue hue hue hue hue.
So you had that too, huh?

Well, most of the characters I play now are quite connected to what happens around me...

Skarner, for example is one of those that MARKED my LoL life:

"This world is so strange..." is basically how I feel whenever my life gives any turns...

Diana is also a VERY deep mention:

"They would NOT listen..." I literally became atheist two or three days before she was released, I played a few games with her and BANG: lore made me connected again.

Irelia reflects most of my personality with a few words though:

"Ionia shall not fall." Regardless of how cliché-ish it is, her resolute tone is exactly how I feel after the team negates a surrender vote.

Anivia is my favorite character to play when I'm sad, though, because she NEVER says anything that might ignite my rage / tears, but instead, I hear the most of her:

"As you wish!" Which is not only comfortable, but quite embracing too... It's strange.

Anyways, to sum up what I mean: EVERYONE will have a certain connection in terms of personality, but it's up to us, lore-fans to find who is our closest.

Now, I can only say one thing, or rather, quote it: "Let's investigate."

Vongeo

11-21-2012

None of the new lores have any pain. Not like Trundle or Mao or Urgot. Does success sell? I am a character without pain who doesn't have any conflict just goals I've achieved.

Noboty

11-23-2012

And suddenly, I want to play Maokai...

Sandry

11-27-2012

As typical as it sounds...After I read Lux's judgement, I really felt I could relate to her. She's so sad, but has this very cheerful facade as to not drive people away. I can relate. I feel ya bro.

Drache Graethe

11-27-2012

It seems to me that what defines nerd subcultures tends to revolve around taking an interest in the depth provided by a given nerdy pursuit; games, books, movies, etc. While the average person hears the stories in LoL and moves on, someone who is actively seeking to become immersed and knowledgeable about the game takes the time to think more critically, even when the game itself isn't necessarily designed or expected to have the depth that they consider.

For example, the original post discussing Maokai talks about the idea of the emotional connection you can have to a character in a game. That's absolutely a 'nerdy' sort of interpretation (which I don't think is a bad thing, quite the opposite). In fact, you find that sort of depth being taken in many OTHER games and nerd cultures as well. While the vast majority of people playing games like Halo enjoy the idea of playing a shoot-em-up fun FPS for a while, people who become attached or emotionally invested in the franchise see the games like Halo Reach and FEEL the emotional connection as (spoilers!) their companions and main character eventually die in various heroic, self sacrificing ways.

Maokai was an awesomely interesting story, the idea that life from non-existence could be a burden. Skarner is another beautiful tale, he's sort of lost in time...his people are mostly gone and he himself is alone now. I think that some of the stories provided in this game are REALLY compelling if you take a moment and consider them, like the OP is doing. Yi? He literally faced horrific war-crimes, and is one of the last of his people and his martial art. He wants to launch headlong into a suicide mission, but feels an obligation to preserve his ancient arts. That is a COOL and EMOTIONALLY GRIPPING story, considering it's less than a page in length in his description. Swain is a villain that is SHROUDED IN MYSTERY and we love it because his character has an implied depth that arrives at almost disturbing imagery of a demi-human beast bent on gaining power and vengeance.

I play LoL because I enjoy MOBA games a great deal and my friends play it. But I derive AMUSEMENT from the game because I enjoy the constant evolution of story and characters, and because the game is constantly evolving and trying to become more complex and intricate over time.

Cool post, OP.

Trollgernautt

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastTestament View Post
what says he doesn't want to kill himself just go back to being a tree?
I think Maokai feels out of place and wants to be a tree
Well, thats exactly my interpretation, the sad fact is that Maokai tried to kill himself before, but the magic forces that brought him to life dont give up that easy. I can picture something like he trying to set itself on fire, but not dying. He cant die, cause the magic wont let him. Thas why he says " I would end this burden, but it ALWAYS returns" he prolly tried to die in many diferent ways, but failed. That's how desperate he is. That's how sad his story is.

kitae

Lead Designer

11-29-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Glad his VO had a positive effect on you

Brian Wildblade

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitae View Post
Glad his VO had a positive effect on you
Do us all a favor, first and foremost, make the champion's lore be more than just random and then give them quotes, do as you did to Maokai and Skarner, the only two people who had a very sorrowful past and are able to overcome it.

Then, instead of giving us the same types of damn lore, just make deeper things, lores that WILL get people attracted to the gameplay of certain champions.

Shaco's and Talon's were the closest to an actual assassin's lore, everyone else just seems to be left out for granted.

Akali's lore is relatively blank, the reasoning behind her fighting is barely even close to how her playstyle is revolved, whereas say... Ezreal's game is totally about having an explorer's passion.

Veigar is the most "meh" mentions ever. Okay, so he got sad because he's a yordle? What the hell does that have to do with the fact that he became a supreme mage? And worse, what was the impact that he had to suffer into his gameplay in order to sync it to his lore? None.

Now, the whole brotherhood thing in league is annoying. ANY CHAMPIONS who have relations with familiars end up being competitively unviable together. Why in the name of god does a Renekton + Nasus matchup work great in teamfights but a Garen + Lux completely fails flat?

Really?

Good to know you're glad that someone got touched with lore.

HerbaNoctis

11-30-2012

I miss my kind. :'(