Aggressiveness

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rovos

11-15-2012

Hey guys you've probably seen me here posting topics while I become.. well hopefully a more skilled player.

Just in case: I main support and play passable tank/mid and have the basic mechanics down for jungling.

A problem I've been having is I want to learn some of the other roles. My tanking is alright and mid is easy enough. However I definitely feel a certain lack of aggression that is probably needed for that style of play. For example when I play support I don't on a chair in the bushes I'll play Soraka and other supports aggressively and jump in and out infusing the enemy or siege minion to help out the lane and buy him some breathing room. I know exactly how far I can go and push before it's too much. However when I play an assassin or a damage carry I feel a little lost. I don't know when or how to be aggressive.. the times I have been aggressive I've gone too far and such on a dive. I play a little too passive and I'll farm well enough but a better will pick me apart. Melee damage carries especially have me scratching my head. Maybe it comes with time but I feel pressure because really the game is riding on damage roles to dish out damage so if I'm not I'm liable to be reported or cursed out but I feel it's fair because if I'm not doing much job then the game has a higher chance of losing.

Any tips or advice?

Crazy Crann

11-15-2012

There are far too many factors that play in to determining how aggressive you should be in any given match or at any given moment in a match. Things like map awareness (can you see where your other enemies are/is it safe to extend?), cooldowns (is their ulti on CD? What about their big damage skills?), whether or not their champion is capable of shutting yours down (am I playing an AD champion against, say, Fiora?), whether they have summoner spells like heal/flash that can help them win a trade and/or whether those spells are up, etc.

Basically, the best advice I can give here is to pace yourself - especially if you're playing ADC. As an ADC your job in the early game will basically be to farm up gold by last-hitting minions so you can buy better items so you can snowball into the late game and stomp on everyone's face. But you can't do that if you're constantly swinging at the enemy.

Deoreus

11-16-2012

Like Crazy said, there are a lot of factors.

I would say get some experience by playing a forgiving ADC. I'd recommend Corki who can W out of a bad situation. Don't use it to be aggressive, Try to harass or start a fight, but keep your W in reserve for the disengage. Once you get a feel for how aggressive you can be in general, you can start to apply that to more ADC's. Just be sure to warn your support that you're going to be doing that so they don't go all in.

Ramachese

11-16-2012

My rule of thumb is that if there is any doubt when I should be aggresive - don't be. When I follow this little rules I do much better. When I play overly aggressive I do....well....horrible.