Triforce on Vayne?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

doomed2death

01-26-2013

I just bought Vayne and I'm liking her well enough (I don't really play adc much) but I was wondering about Trinity Force.

With its 2 second cooldown and Tumble's 2 second cooldown and the inherent synergy between the two, on top of the attack speed for W, Trinity Force seems a decent item on Vayne.

I just want to experiment some. Pros/cons? Yes? No?

Vrykonik

01-26-2013

Trinity force like that would have good burst for lane and maybe make her less bad early on... But it would hurt your late game as it doesn't have the raw damage of a normal AD build.

barbeerian

01-26-2013

No, Triforce isn't good on Vayne, especially since they increased the cost in season 3. Basically, it's too expensive for the stats it's giving Vayne (there's wasted stats on it that Vayne can't use, and for the price there are other items which give more of the stats you want). Your first item should still be a Bloodthirster for the raw damage and lifesteal, after that go for a Static Shiv or Phantom Dancer. These give you more AS, Crit%, (PD is basically slightly better raw stats than Shiv, while Shiv has the lightning AoE damage which can crit). Triforce is ~4200g vs ~2800g for a PD, and ~2500g for a Shiv. The slow proc is unreliable, and really not worth the extra 1400-1700g you're paying for inferior damage stats.

Re: Above, even in lane it really wouldn't add to your burst that much because it's going to take so long to complete. Bloodthirster + Zeal costs the same as a Triforce, and gives more damage every hit. Let's assume equal ADC's farming the same, someone will have the 3k for Bloodthrister before they have the 4.2k for Triforce, so they'll be doing more damage earlier than the triforce build. At which point you can push the person with a Phage + Zeal (or Sheen + Zeal) around, causing them to maybe lose more farm and play defensively while you push your advantage.

iSelfFlagulate

01-26-2013

I don't feel triforce is a good purchase on vayne either. i prefer to go dorans, boots, zerkerboots, zeal, dorans, phantom dancer, then infinity edge, and so and and so on. Even though attack damage was buffed (prices lowered), and attack speed nerfed (prices increased), i still prefer attack speed with maxing w on my vayne.... puts out so much damage to even tankier characters early on. Plus, doran's new passive works better with higher atack speed, so 2 dorans + zeal and zerker boots can help sustain as well as giving you that little bit of extra survivability early on

Lexinus

01-26-2013

Since vayne has those stacks on target that deal true damage every 3rd hit, AD and Attack speed are going to be your friends. And of course life steal. But if you build Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer, Blood Thirster, and Maybe Black Cleaver? Then you're gonna be punching fist-sized wholes through people.

SeCKS Egai

01-26-2013

It's not worth it.

Since tumble was hit with nerfs multiple times, its mostly a positioning tool, whether to avoid a skill shot, setup your condem, or to help chase a target down.

You really end up needing the BT for damage and high life steal.

A PD is amazing as the attack speed, movement speed and crit chance are great - more importantly it's got ignore movement collision now, making up for the lost 5% movement speed bonus from its previous incarnation.

But really - sheen can be pretty gimmicky. Vayne is less about burst and more about sustained damage - hitting hard, hitting fast, hitting repeatedly. Trying to tumble just for the sake of activating the proc can be bad for positioning. After you hit a high enough attack speed, tumbling unnecessarily will end up costing you damage.

The other thing to realize is that Vayne really doesn't have a slot to spare - 3 slots are already accounted for (zerk/BT/PD or static depending on pref) and you still need to fit more damage and defense in what's left.