Item Shop and Game HUD Updates

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gl0um

11-15-2012

Played a lit Dota 2, this menu seems more clear. I don't think it's not noob friendly.

Btw Attack --> Armor pen should definitly be added, especially with the season 3 changes no ?

Trevallion

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgreSamanosuke View Post
Well, you heard it here first folks. If something is a good idea, but has been done by someone else first, you aren't allowed to do it. Oh wait, this is the games industry, where this is normal practice. Because why the hell would you see someone do something better, then ignore it? (Unless you're Square-Enix.)

LoL and DOTA2 are still fundamentally different games. Gameflow and mechanics share similiarities, but that's about as far as it goes. If you're so in love with DOTA2, wtf are you doing here? For every one good thing DOTA2 has that LoL has "taken" there are 10 other awful ideas I'm glad they didn't take, or removed from old DOTA.

The only thing that DOTA2 has wholesale better than LoL is the map. It's far more interesting to look at, at the cost of a worse HUD and character designs that are still clearly Warcraft 3 characters.
I accidentally downvoted this comment while trying to upvote it, so since the forums don't allow takebacks I'm gonna quote it because I liked it so much.

I've tried playing and watching streams of DotA 2 and I just couldn't get into it after playing LoL as my first moba. In particular, I don't like how fights in DotA 2 are over in seconds. It seems like the game focuses a lot more on macro strategy than micro. I might be totally wrong because I haven't played it very much, but it seems like you're more likely to win fights in DotA by bringing more guns than by making better tactical decisions when you're outnumbered. I think being able to win a fight through better decision making makes LoL more fun to watch and to play.

Also from watching DotA streams, everything on the screen sort of blends in together. It still looks very WC3ish. I'm not just boo hooing about bad graphics, I'm saying it was really tough to follow the match because nothing is really distinguished for the viewer. Without playing the game I had a hard time figuring out what was happening. I feel like LoL puts a lot of effort into visual design specifically so you can tell what is going on, even if you aren't familiar with the mechanics.

But that's not to say I don't like some things about DotA 2. The hidden shop and creep denial are cool mechanics that add a neat strategic element to the game. I am not sure they would work well in LoL. Jungling by leashing camps to your creep wave so the monsters would kill your wave before it arrives in lane seemed really tedious, but the idea of denying your opponent gold is pretty cool.

Funkihunter

11-15-2012

Question: As Shen I look at the left hand "team health" bar on the far left of the screen and then at the far right to the minimap. Is there anyway to put the "team health" bar above the minimap (move it to the right hand side of the screen?).

Dimmu Mikeir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Reinboom View Post
Those tools will not work.

Recommended items has changed pretty significantly.
I've attached an example of what it will look like (though, with slightly more iteration).
cant help but notice the DFG description on your link attachment. It reads "Activate to increase all magic damage done to an enemy champion"

did i miss the preview for this item change or did you just reveal something interesting?

Super Explosion

11-15-2012

Quote:
I'll investigate adding something that purchases and stays on your current search.
Shift-Enter?

Or potentially something rebindable in the options.

"Purchase Ward" might be an interesting hotkey, as well.

Repeat-letter purchasing may be useful!

Search Consumables, enter letter purchase mode via hotkey, tap "h" three times for three potions.

May not be worth implementing in a game that doesn't use many consumables, though.

Kexit

Recruiter

11-15-2012

its looks like lol goin' dota =\ but well, will see what we get.

LiaMne

11-15-2012

Let the players save their own buy list for each champion on hard disk! Easy, simple, usefull!

PodunkTheMighty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Quote:
Usability from a new user perspective was actually a significant concern of ours. We've done extensive tests to confirm or deny ideas as we worked through them.
Overall the new item shop has been a major boon for new players in these tests.
It looks good in this regard to me! I like that you can narrow the field to multiple categories, such as mana+CDR or AD+Mres. Very helpful if you're playing a new character or haven't been playing long and don't know all the items.

EvilAznBoi

11-15-2012

UI is now HoNlike, and Shop is now Dota2 like.IMO I prefer it since I do play both games.

Hellven

11-15-2012

I understand what your trying to do, you're trying to give the UI a bit more of a esports look, but to be honest its kinda ugly in a generic sort of way. What it lacks is stylised art. Sorry if that sounds harsh but thats my honest opinion.