Item Shop and Game HUD Updates

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmallAznGurl

11-15-2012

This is a prime example as to why this game is falling and so rapidly, down hill. You guys aren't focusing on the key points to make a game balanced, you're off wasting time/money on creating 'New and Improved' looks for the game. Instead you should invest more time on balanced and fun heroes to make.

Obeyasr15

11-15-2012

IMO it looks like a mix between smite with the organization of the items and has a starcraft feel.

Jaehee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Is riot playing the "Let's see how much we can copy dota before they find out" game?

Gämbit

11-15-2012

I'm sorry but I don't like it. It's starting to turn into World of Warcraft where they're making it look and feel so unnecessarily complicated. There are ways to make small, subtle changes yes but this? This isn't an overhaul. It's something completely new. When people flock to your game it's because you're doing something right. It doesn't mean you have to go ape**** crazy and start changing everything. I'm personally starting to doubt the game completely because of garbage like this.

Sp4rKz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

wow! Very good hhaha I wont need my custom HuD anymore. This one looks great. Good job riot!

Spit Bucket

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wriggle View Post
There's three pieces of gold, like a stack falling over. Looks fine to me.

But the designers weren't as good back then. Did you even see what the interface looked like before the current one?

IT WAS ROUND <- a picture
i starting playing this game in beta ^^and that was not the interface, and there's a reason that got changed quickly.

but right now the interface is perfect, and its been the same for awhile, i dont mind a shop change but all these new borders and such just look bad.

Wriggle

Adjudicator

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallAznGurl View Post
This is a prime example as to why this game is falling and so rapidly, down hill. You guys aren't focusing on the key points to make a game balanced, you're off wasting time/money on creating 'New and Improved' looks for the game. Instead you should invest more time on balanced and fun heroes to make.
TRUE: FACT:

a MULTIMILLION (billion?) DOLLAR game development company, once they get a working interface, needs to fire all their UI people and pour BILLIONS into champion design

Hey Riot Reinboom, why don't you tell everybody about all those champions you've balanced?

Shadzar

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Reinboom View Post
Not initially and that's a feature that's still under investigation. Our priority was first getting a more manageable and faster to use interface.

I did make sure to setup an API similar to the current item shop's recommended item override API, for the sake of our power users out there.
How long before that happens? the existence of the Custom RI API, pretty much made the item shop the quickest it could possibly be, and anything removing it would be backwards design. this is from a solely searching-the-thing aspect, as you or someone already noted the filters wont have all available keywords, and the search will be based on thing that people wont really all know what special "common terms" to search for, unless there is a list provided of those terms, for example SLOW being a term or AURA, for someone wanting that ability from an item.

The current shop search function is definitely constrained within the categories, and the new one does APPEAR to provide more functionality of search, but still not quite as intuitive as the API that currently exists.

It is very hard to tell at current with only an image here and in the news with what appears and should be the LIST VIEW. More images of the different views and what would be seen when selecting an item and HOW to get from one item to another through upgrading would be helping to really discuss more and identify what is going on with the new shop.

also redundant filters seem redundant:

Quote:
MOVEMENT
-BOOTS
-OTHER
while there is currently only about a dozen items that grant movement, and this can change; ALL boots provide movement, which can also change but if all boots still provide movement, when have them separate when more filter options like SLOW, LIFE STEAL, AP% or something else could take up that space for the filter and provide quicker access to most commonly used things?

a fear I had when reading the items HOTKEY was shown in the images. Abilities HOTKEY below them seem to be of no problem, but in the case of items that you can have multiple of or that contain stacks (Bonetooth Necklace, BT), there is crowded numbers that at-a-glance could provide confusing information in the heat of a fight. Wait did I have only 1 Health Pot on 3, or 3 Health pots on the ! HOTKEY? Not to mention the stacks still dont always show, again Bonetooth Necklace you have to hover over to see its stacks because like a few items it places its stacks above the Abilities to indicate it has active stacks, but the BT indicates its active stacks on the item display. Bonetooth, even without stacks, still provides +2 AD per level, as of now, so is always active even if its stacking abilities is not.

do like the 4 command buttons (including the dreaded lock camera) moved onto the map, but fear it might be more in the way when trying to click on the map or the ground than where it was on the wall since it is higher on the display now. Might cause some accidental camera locking which is never good, or for those that like a locked camera, might cause them to unlock it, also not good.

cant really see much else of the HUD because it is hidden in the darkened alpha channel overlay of the ITEM SHOP as it were, so no idea what the allies displays on the HUD look like.

that is about all i can say about it, personally or predicted functionality wise, except i do like the colors of things on the new item shop, with what is provided as visuals and descriptions of its soon-to-be state.

TSN Rederth

11-15-2012

Can there be something added to the UI for enabling/disabling smartcast. I don't mess with those settings often but I always find out the hard way in lane and have to back off to disable missing CS or something of the rather. I know others have expressed issues like this so just wondering if you are looking into the situation.

KodiakRampage

11-15-2012

I like it, everything looks great, and the new shop is exactly what I wanted.