Item Shop and Game HUD Updates

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

11-18-2012
51 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity R View Post
fairly childish response, I mean he did say if you put two screenshots togther (I already done that you can find it on Page 101) That they look exactly the same.

The arguement here is that It is a direct Copy PASTA, Use the search function in a different location or to help us swallow it, tell us how you came to these "Solutions" because like everyone is saying it looks like you have just played a game of DoTA and said ok we need THAT in our game, and havent been very creative in even CHANGING THE FONT.

Seriously the font is the same between the two games, THAT is what upsets us, Like the Zuckerberg arguement, Noone that creates a CHAIR owes the Creator of the CHAIR Money,

BUTTTT!!!! You need to do something to make it atleast look like this isnt being taken from another game AND IF IT IS!! Give them credit, or say, Simply viewing how successful this is working for our competitor we have agreed to adopt this idea aswell, Or

"The old shop was in much need of a search function DUE to the fact our shop has many items and want to streamline the shopping experience this has long since been overdue."

I Mean again gonna get dislikes but im here to help, To challenge, To ensure us (The Community) get what is needed, and what is needed is not a copy pasta from another game, Sadly.
Ok, I want try to address this issue of perception.

I'm not sure any of us has said that this is all black box work that we've come up with completely independently. We would be pretty poor designers if we didn't look at how other games solve similar problems and how software in other segments tackle the same issues. This is the very definition of progress, we all stand on the shoulders of the really smart people who laid the foundation for what we create today. Learning from the successes and failures of others is critical. Re-inventing the wheel every time is wasteful. DOTA 2 is certainly not the first game to implement search and *definitely* not the first to allow searching in a shopping experience (cough, amazon, ebay, etc.). I think we've synthesized many good things that other talented people have done and adapted it to our item system along with adding some new refinements.

I love seeing the UI that other games come up with, and I would like nothing better than to have other designers "pillage" our ideas and build on them. This does not offend me, in fact I would be flattered. I expect to do the same from games and other applications and build even better experiences for you guys. I want the UI to get out of your way as much as possible and just let you have *fun*! I'm not here to make completely crazy user interfaces that the world has never seen, I'm here to help you play games!

BTW how our search behaves was inspired by the Chrome browser from Google that I use every day, if you want some attribution.

Riyshn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Riot Reinboom (I think) promised to let us know the new format for customizing recommend items when the new shop/UI hit the PBE. Think we could get that now?

JackhelI

Recruiter

11-18-2012

They should make it so you can make your own item lists like the ones that show up on the recommended list

davin

Senior User Researcher

11-18-2012
52 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Yes, it's been hard not to spill the beans on this while looking at all the ideas people have been posting. We actually had a prototype that is very similar, which we did user testing on a year ago and I've been holding my tongue since then!
It's been a long time coming! Those tests were some of the earliest lab sessions I performed here MEMORIES.

sheepareamyth

11-18-2012

The new HUD looks like a DoTA2 Ripoff. I feel like this game is getting less and less original with every update.

The Fizznity

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepareamyth View Post
The new HUD looks like a DoTA2 Ripoff. I feel like this game is getting less and less original with every update.
I know, Rengar, Elise, and all those new items are totally dota ripoffs. I love buying my Runaan's Hurricane item on the varus-alike in Dota -- oh wait, never mind, theres lots of cool unique stuff.

exe3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Quote:
Yes, we burned the old shop code with *fire.* It was painful, but necessary so we could provide more control to the game designers and better extensibility in the future.
Huzzah! It must have been painful though, I remember a while back speaking to you that if the old League code was causing you such issues was there really even a choice in the end of scrapping everything. You weren't overly keen for the idea. lol

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1192525

boourns

UI Designer

11-18-2012
53 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exe3 View Post
Huzzah! It must have been painful though, I remember a while back speaking to you that if the old League code was causing you such issues was there really even a choice in the end of scrapping everything. You weren't overly keen for the idea. lol

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1192525
I was keen, just realistic about the amount of effort involved! It's been a long road to get here and getting a team together to work on this, but we're very close to letting you guys play with the new shop and HUD.

Kalashnikov

11-18-2012

Can you please please add an undo button for buys/sells? I hate when I accidentally misclick and lose lots of gold.

Arance

11-18-2012

Quote:
I love seeing the UI that other games come up with, and I would like nothing better than to have other designers "pillage" our ideas and build on them. This does not offend me, in fact I would be flattered. I expect to do the same from games and other applications and build even better experiences for you guys. I want the UI to get out of your way as much as possible and just let you have *fun*! I'm not here to make completely crazy user interfaces that the world has never seen, I'm here to help you play games!
Agreed, don't see why people think being 'inspired' or even outright taking mechanical concepts like UI design from other games or sources to be a bad thing. UI design is really a science, not an art. Its about identifying the most pertinent information to players and delivering it in the most readable- yet least intrusive- method. Many games that have similar features will reach the same conclusion of how to best present those features just because there's no point in doing it differently for the sake of being different. That line of thinking simply serves as a detriment to the players.