Item Shop and Game HUD Updates

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyl3xPro

Junior Member

11-15-2012

Well, I like it, but it's an exact copy of Dota 2, which is a horrible game but still, it's looks exactly like dota2's shop, except for the colors. but it's still nice.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XENO19

Junior Member

11-15-2012

So there seems to be two complaints going around, 1. that this store is copping DoTA2 and 2. people asking for custom recommended items.

1. If something in another game works better than the current system, what's wrong with using a similar idea to improve LoL?

2. Custom recommended items are already implemented, search it on Google. (although it is kinda weird and hard to use, I haven't got it to work) and Riot keep saying that they are going to put custom recommended items in the client soon anyway. (the current system requires you to change a file).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drunut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-15-2012

I feel like this makes the shop far more complicated for new players.

One of the things I liked when going into LoL a few years ago was the shop. It was streamlined and didn't throw a million things at me like this new HUD seems to do. In Dota and HoN, the shop was always daunting when I went into it. So many items strewn about and I just didn't know what to do about these things they were throwing at me. The biggest thing that drew me to LoL, in fact, was the item shop and how simply it was designed.

While it's not optimal for me to complain, since my advice would be 'Why do we need to change it' and I don't have any other solution, but I just feel like the new HUD seems to make it more daunting for new players to learn. No matter how troublesome it might have been, being given a nice line of items to buy (in an order) let people ramp into the game far better than giving them a segmented list.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XENO19

Junior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunut View Post
I feel like this makes the shop far more complicated for new players.

One of the things I liked when going into LoL a few years ago was the shop. It was streamlined and didn't throw a million things at me like this new HUD seems to do. In Dota and HoN, the shop was always daunting when I went into it. So many items strewn about and I just didn't know what to do about these things they were throwing at me. The biggest thing that drew me to LoL, in fact, was the item shop and how well it was laid out.

While it's not optimal for me to complain, since my advice would be 'Why do we need to change it' and I don't have any other solution, but I just feel like the new HUD seems to make it more daunting for new players to learn. No matter how troublesome it might have been, being given a nice line of items to buy (in an order) let people ramp into the game far better than giving them a giant list of various items.
The store is going to default to the recommended items the first time you open it, so it has what looks like its going to be about 10 items all categorised on what situation you will want them in.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGiantYordle

Senior Member

11-15-2012

For... once I'm just going to say... Good job, guys While I'm not a fan of the summoner spell change, This change is actually quite a good one across the board, though I do have one minor thing to say about it:

The item 'count' and 'hotkey' font size... shrink it a tad? It's a bit... bulky looking, as basically the bottom 1/3 of the item is taken up by it, especially for the potions etc. The hotkey number more than the item count.

Actually, better idea now that I look again... can we have an option to -turn off- the 'hot key' reminder? I sort of like how my items look, and personally don't need a reminder which of 1-6 I put my item order in, so I'd kinda like the option to just turn it off, while newer players would likely enjoy the option of having it there until they get comfortable with it... kind of like Tips (though there have been alot of new tips, every game I join, that I'd -love- to turn the heck off)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SaoJeva

Junior Member

11-15-2012

Excellent work on the HuD and navigation of the shop guys! But i wonder.. Is it possible to set champion-specific favourite items for quick access later on? I would love to have instant access to items i like to use, even if its pre-game, picking favourite items like picking runes and masteries. Just a thought.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drunut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by XENO19 View Post
The store is going to default to the recommended items the first time you open it, so it has what looks like its going to be about 10 items all categorised on what situation you will want them in.
But new players wouldn't really get that. They don't know the situations at all.

The rest of my distaste at the update is dependent upon specific design features (beyond what we see here), so I'll hold myself until release (or a better look at it) but my face while reading through this thread has yet to stop being a mix between disappointment and distress, mixed with a sinking feeling in my chest.

Maybe it just doesn't seem like LoL. Feels too foreign, but then again, I am always hesitant of change to things that aren't broken.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGiantYordle

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrivaled Boss View Post
For... once I'm just going to say... Good job, guys While I'm not a fan of the summoner spell change, This change is actually quite a good one across the board, though I do have one minor thing to say about it:

The item 'count' and 'hotkey' font size... shrink it a tad? It's a bit... bulky looking, as basically the bottom 1/3 of the item is taken up by it, especially for the potions etc. The hotkey number more than the item count.

Actually, better idea now that I look again... can we have an option to -turn off- the 'hot key' reminder? I sort of like how my items look, and personally don't need a reminder which of 1-6 I put my item order in, so I'd kinda like the option to just turn it off, while newer players would likely enjoy the option of having it there until they get comfortable with it... kind of like Tips (though there have been alot of new tips, every game I join, that I'd -love- to turn the heck off)
Idly curious... why the hell was that downvoted? I say I like the change, offer an idea for it to be able to be toggled on and off (the item hotkey reminder), and get downvoted for it? Really?

TIP: It's people that do things like that that tend to get treated like morons in games. (See I should write the start-of-game tips )


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Illyriomysterio

Senior Member

11-15-2012

None too fond of the HUD, honestly. The look isn't...rustic enough? I don't know, I just liked the earthy and simple quality of the original one.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BRAlNFART

Member

11-15-2012

Looks clean! Good job riot!