@ Why it may be that Nome told us, there is never gonna be ranked.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

0115D8CF

11-15-2012

I'm curious how hard it would be for Riot to add ranked dominion. Like, would it be a huge investment and require constant attention after being implemented? I assume that it would be a pretty easy thing to do and would make those who want it happy, possibly attract more players, and possibly solve or expose some of the problems that were brought up in other threads. I don't see how adding in ranked could possibly be not worth doing, though I'm no game designer or even a serious player (though I would definitely get into ranked dom if it existed).

Camsaiga

11-15-2012

My input here....

Ranked as a whole would help the population and also help it from bleeding current players.I will use Jabebot here....once that was taken away I saw a dramatic decline in people playing Dominion and the final death of draft mode. Jabe was at least some small means to give players a sense of progression, reward and competition.

Given that I feel it is obvious that if Dominion was to have ranked it would only help the current player base as well as bring in past players as well as new. As of now you get nothing at all for being a pro dominion player, no fame, no glory, no rewards, nothing.

As for promotion and changing public opnion....well Riot dropped the ball here and while Riot is a favorite of mine as a gaming company and heck the only gaming company where I feel like I know they employees...they are failing and showing disrespected to their fans.

Take a look at some other big games, World of Wacraft and Guild Wars 2. Not a MOBA I know but they do have multiple game modes (maps for LoL) between Open World PvP, Arenas, Raiding, Crafting....and all of these modes are supported by the staff to ensure that each player type feels wanted and rewarded for their way of playing.

In LoL I feel there is way to much focus solely on SR and pandering to fans and SR pro teams. I get why, by far most popular, what brings in the money, what is in the E-Sport scene and so on but this is also the biggest video game in the world....there should be enough resources to spread to the other maps and more a respect for the fans of the alternate game modes.

Recently they made a big deal about Sam, a high elo guy who plays 3v3. He became their featured streamer and was promoted. This of course as a means to help garner attention for the new Twisted Treeline.

Why is that Dominion after all this time does not have featured streamers? We have amazing players, heck these players even beat the E-Sport fame guys people idolize in this game on Dominion a long time ago. So why does Riot not feature them?

I hear Nome talking about changing perception...well if you promote high skilled Dom players....the others can see that Shaco is not OP, they can see what skill and team work is on Dominion. I leveled this new account and played on Dominion and the way new players run Dominion and the way vets do is night and day.

Why not have rioters do more play with Rioter events using Dominion? It would again show attention and importance to this map.

Many pro teams are not on Riot salary or will be....why not have them recruit for dominion based teams and allow them to stream under their name? I mean like TSM Domination, and have them streaming on TSM website.

Why not promote the Dominate Dominion tourneys and give some more public attention to them?

I feel like there is plenty Riot can do to help market dominion and also using their fans here to achieve that but in the end I feel as if they do not care. We used to have Rickless positing here, was nice but in the end meant nothing and nothing happened. Now we have Nome as our token riot guy and I worry that again we will try and try to help Riot with ideas and our time and only be string along with nothing happening until we get a fancy new Riot face in here and the process begins again.

TDLR: Jabebot gave hope, ddeath of jabe killed fanbase. Ranked would help, do it, Riot has many easy options to support and promote Dominion but in the end it feels like they dont care and we get shiny Reds who look nice but fail to actually accomplish much. QQ ignored fanbase boo.

Phourc

11-15-2012

They did promote DD one weekend during a tournament, got a ton of views too xP

Regardless, I'd love to see more of that sort of thing in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camsaiga View Post
TDLR: Jabebot gave hope, ddeath of jabe killed fanbase. Ranked would help, do it, Riot has many easy options to support and promote Dominion but in the end it feels like they dont care and we get shiny Reds who look nice but fail to actually accomplish much. QQ ignored fanbase boo.
It's a lot of things killing the fanbase - death of jabebot contributed to a *perception* that riot doesn't care. I would say it's that perception that's the current problem, and Nome fiddling with the items (even getting a huge negative reaction) IS doing a lot to combat it.

bierfaust

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
I'm inclined to agree with Nome that player perception needs to change before ranked is viable. But I've been saying that since Dom was released haven't I?

What I think right now, is that Riot has shown how little they care about Dominion by keeping ranked enabled in TT after it was completely reworked and is still in beta. Balance in that map is a complete mess right now, they're still making changes to the map layout and the items and yet still feel they need to reward players for cheesing their way to diamond with broken champs. But Dominion "still isn't ready"? What a joke.
Unfortunately player perception will never change without ranked. So it's a catch 22.

Can't add ranked because of perception, but need to add ranked to change that perception.

Nobody can deny that the lack of ranked is the single biggest reason why nobody takes dominion seriously.

As has been stated by numerous other people including most of the high elo players, adding ranked will have the same effect on DOM as it does on SR. People will have a reason and a standard to base how they approach the game mode off. If they want to get better they will watch the higher elo people and maybe when some see just how tactical DOM can be, they will change their opinion of it and give it a go.

I mean at the very least adding ranked will make the current dedicated player base happier. And honestly, what is wrong with that? I really see no reason why Riot would want to deny us that happiness.

On a side note, I would love people and Nome to suggest reasons why adding Ranked is bad or has any negatives. None as far as I can see.
And to the response that "it might fracture the already small player base" I call bull**** on that right now. Because according to Nome, only a small % of people play SR Ranked, so therefore why do they deserve it if, apparently, only a small % play it. It would be the same for DOM. And I would gladly wait 5 mins for a proper organised ranked game, instead of the crapfests we get now.

It lets people play casual if they want, and it lets the more serious players get enjoyable games. And if casual players want to get better where will they look? to the high elo Ranked games.

FDru

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierfaust View Post
As has been stated by numerous other people including most of the high elo players, adding ranked will have the same effect on DOM as it does on SR.
AKA a very minor effect that's blown way out of proportion by those who only play it.

Look, this whole "ranked will fix everything" idea is just a bunch of bull**** and you need to get over it. Ranked does nothing for TT except make people wonder WTF Riot is thinking, because the mode has always been considered a joke. Ranked will not change player perception or add validity to Dominion outside of maybe the top 200 who actually give a **** about it.

You may think ranked is the best thing ever, but you don't realize just how small you are. You really, really don't.

bierfaust

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
AKA a very minor effect that's blown way out of proportion by those who only play it.

Look, this whole "ranked will fix everything" idea is just a bunch of bull**** and you need to get over it. Ranked does nothing for TT except make people wonder WTF Riot is thinking, because the mode has always been considered a joke. Ranked will not change player perception or add validity to Dominion outside of maybe the top 200 who actually give a **** about it.

You may think ranked is the best thing ever, but you don't realize just how small you are. You really, really don't.
That may be the case but does that make people that don't play Ranked TT unhappy?
No, it doesn't. But it makes those that take it seriously happy. So who loses out? nobody, but now one group is significantly happier than they would have been otherwise.

Adding Ranked may not instantly fix things, it may not even fix anything at all. But will make a group of people a lot happier than they currently are. So what exactly is wrong with that, they would need 1 more virtual server to run the Ranked games. That costs them exactly nothing, and maybe an extra hour a week to run the maintenance on the server.

TT and DOM may be considered a joke by those that have no interest in it, but there is nothing you can do to change that. Simply because they are not the standard 5v5 that was born by DOTA will be the primary reason people aren't interested. And you cannot change that.

It's the same with FPS games. Deathmatch/Team deathmatch are always hugely more popular than the other modes such as CTF, King of the Hill, or (insert your perfered mode). Because some people just prefer the standard mode.
But does that make the other modes any less valid? No it doesn't. And this is proved by there always being multiple modes available to the player base even if the amount of people that play it are small. e.g. Halo 4, slayer/team slayer = 50000 players at once, where as king of the hill or CTF had like 3000-5000. Yet the modes are still available for those that want them.

So I really can't see an argument against Ranked unless you can prove that it is too costly or prevents Riot from furthering the game as a whole.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Nome, can you plz confirm/deny my logical conclusions?

A Slime Appears

11-16-2012

I do think ranked is part of the solution, but not the only solution. Adding ranked isn't going to make people think dom is any less of a joke, because that doesn't change the fact Kass and Jayce, etc exist. Yes, that does provide us with the ability to ban them out, which works perfectly for people who are playing now and realize that, but for people who used to play and quit, or played only a few games before quitting, I don't know if they'll make that connection, and even if they do, if it would help. The ability to ban them out is just a band aid. If you want those people that left because of OPs or similar issues you have to actually fix it instead of using a stopgap like ranked. What happens when your next team captain is a derp and doesn't ban out Kass? Oh ****, you are facing him in ranked anyway.

Would we see a boost in numbers after ranked happens? Sure.

Would it stay that way unless balance is fixed? I don't think so.

Then we'd have to make a mad dash after balance changes to try and recapture the people we are re-hemorrhaging.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2852006

People that doubted me and wanted red people confirming what I said in first post is true, K thx.

FireZtarDS

02-10-2014

First of all, more people have to play Draft Pick Dominion. Currently, you need to wait between 30 minutes and an hour(or sometimes more) in queue to play Draft Pick on Dominion. I doubt Riot is going add ranked any time soon because of this