Why do we not have a champ where they release their full potential on ult

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Claw of Time

11-14-2012

I suck at designing stuff

How about a passive that gives 20/40/60 AD when you go below 50% health

Would be cool if it was a energy champ that sacrifice all his energy for power (energy bar turns into a rage meter so that he can spam for a short duration) and every attack gains fury

He has to yell something epic out when you ult QWE
Like a scream!

When he ults "Witness my true power!"

Zerglinator

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw of Time View Post
Glad A Riot post on this

I just want a champion who basically holds back all his power and when he does release it for his ult, he goes full op mode.
NO DRAGON TRANSFORMATION OR A BROKEN SWORD

i want his QWE to become steriods
So, okay, let me see if I can get this right...

Let's take Garen as our example. When he activates Q, he gets a speed boost. When he activates W, he gets a defensive boost. When he activates E, he does damage around him. So are we saying that this champion, for his ult, would activate it and have his Q give 2x the speed, his W gives 2x the defense, and his E gives 2x the damage around him?

Sol Badguy

11-14-2012

I'd really like to see a 'power-up' ult that's like Dragon Install. For a BOOM ult, maybe Shen Woo's Neo Max.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbXru...feature=relmfu Dragon Install reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z1Gay8JaVE Neomax

Edxu

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Can you elaborate a little more on what you mean by QWE be steroids? Also, it's nice to know the particular flavor you have in mind for this fantasy. Nice to know you don't mean Riven or Shyvanna. Any more details would be cool for people to hear

reminder: I'm not a champion designer. I'm here cause I was also thinking about this and I want to help crystalize the ideas and discussion
Perhaps an ability similar to Rumble's, where when he Overheats, he gains incredibly good AAs, at the cost of being unable to cast spells.

Ex. X champion's Ultimate is Unleashed Fury.

Unleashed fury can be cast once to start channeling. When X champion is finished channeling, he has a 4 second window to use his regular abilities with no cooldown or cost, and the abilities have increased damage and effects.

When Unleashed Fury's duration is over, X champion is unable to cast spells for 30/20/10 seconds.

That would really force you to evaluate how much damage you can do in 4 seconds, causing the champion to have an extremely high skillcap.

Stexe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

11-14-2012

The problem about someone who goes from underpowered to overpowered when they use their ultimate is multi-fold.

Before the Champion gets their ultimate they are subpar and will most likely lose their lane. Sure, just play defensive and bunker down until you get it -- that's fine.

Now, when you finally do get your ultimate, how long of a cooldown is it? If it needs to be long to really make you transform into some amazingly powerful person, then what stops the enemy from simply running away and stalling until your ultimate has expired and is on cooldown?

Likewise, when your ultimate is on cooldown, what is your primary tactic going to be since you're underpowered when your ultimate is not active? It will be to stall and delay.

This creates a vicious feedback loop of you stalling until you get your ultimate up and the enemy stalling when you activate it. Yes, this kind of already happens with some other things in the game like Baron, Riven, and Shyvana.

Baron is an entire team buff, which is hard for the enemy to really "stall" -- but it happens. Riven is pretty strong and her ultimate has a short cooldown, thus either side can't really stall or bait it. Shyvana isn't insanely powerful with her ultimate up, like you're suggesting, but people will tend to avoid her when she ults.

So ultimately what does this underpowered to overpowered character solve? It might be fun in theory, but I seriously doubt it would work well in practicality.

HerbaNoctis

11-14-2012

Quote:
Soo... all mana, has a minimum requirement, and all other ability cooldowns must be up, and it also uses them all? This sounds interesting to me (not a designer) but I have no idea of where to begin to balance it. Maybe it could do the affect of all your other abilities at once + something special since it's also on ult CD. after that... yo'ure auto attacking for a bit, so I hope you're a bruiser!
That's basically DotA-esque style balancing, and there's a reason we don't have things like that. Burst mages already exist in LoL and giving them a super easy combo by letting them just press 1 button is silly. It's also why Malz is kinda bad because he's centered around his ult. When it's down, he's awful in a teamfight. But since there has to be some sort of counterplay to everything, Malz is rendered nigh-useless by a QSS. Malzahar is actually the perfect example of why you don't give someone a huge all or nothing burst in LoL because we actually have counterplay to everything. Not only is Malzahar countered by a QSS but he's also made to be immobile for the duration of his ult.

Sweagen

11-14-2012

Riven

Lunaria

11-14-2012

as far as champions going all super saiyan we have riven and shyvana so it does exist.
Maybe singed and mundo belong in that category of ult as well?

aZnPYTHONaZn

11-14-2012

Quote:
Can you elaborate a little more on what you mean by QWE be steroids? Also, it's nice to know the particular flavor you have in mind for this fantasy. Nice to know you don't mean Riven or Shyvanna. Any more details would be cool for people to hear

reminder: I'm not a champion designer. I'm here cause I was also thinking about this and I want to help crystalize the ideas and discussion
Using [insertnamehere] 's ultimate would stab a HUGE ass needle into biceps. Growing big as full stacked cho and QWE become stronger due to unequaled amount of actual steroids ?

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

11-14-2012
8 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattarias View Post
I've always thought this would be perfect for a remade Kayle. She uses her ult and her form just shatters, she transforms into a awe-insiring, horrifying, six-winged old-testament style angel of fire and light, unstoppable, with the full fury of the heavens behind her. It'd be perfect.

Just a thought.
If that were the case, I would want her sister to have a twisted mirror of it. Her wings turn upside down and bat like, she grows horns and a tail, etc. I know we're talking about flavor here, but flavor makes things taste good