Why do we not have a champ where they release their full potential on ult

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Meiu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw of Time View Post
Attachment 557909Have inner gates

Attachment 557908Removes eye patch

Ultimate Attachment 557910

Attachment 557911 hue

Just a ult like Yi+ Riven+Shyvana

tl;dr down vote me for posting anime

^ This Riot

To make it more clear

Attachment 557965

Basically this but something more cooler instead of a jacket.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Anima_%28Summon%29

Some sort of ****ed up creature bound and limited? This might fit what you are looking for.

Kaze Rurouni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

I actually had a concept for a character like this about a year ago and posted it in the character concept section.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...hlight=tsukimi

It's kind of a lengthy post, but it does go into detail about some ideas I had for how it'd work. On a side note, this character could probably have some interesting tie-in with Diana (note that I had this concept before Diana was announced).

3mptylord

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Disclaimer: I am not a designer.

I was just thinking about this. Did that thread asking for an eyepatch girl make you think about it too? What I couldn't figure out (and this is probably because I'm not a designer) is how to make it so that the base characters isn't weak and/or the full power version isn't OP.

Shyvanna might be a close example of this. Her ult enhances all of her abilities, and she also takes her "true form". Maybe it's just another flavor/fantasy of that you are looking for. I was also thinking about a character that might have some physical locks on them, maybe part of their body is bound, and the binding could be damaged by getting attacked or something (sort of like Shyvanna fury, but on damage not on doing damage) + over time ticking. I dunno, really talking about flavor at this point.

Thanks for bringing up the idea.
I honestly thought that Xerath was going to be caged as standard and only open for some aspect of his kit (turned out to be his W). It'd be cool if he had a Kassadin/Force Pulse style passive, where he would slowly draw in energy on spell casts. Every X spell casts, he becomes supercharged (for an amount of time, or his next ability, or something).

What? Who said your ultimate has to be what unlocks you?

There's this champion suggestion on the EU forums, Hoboras the Hand of the Void, who is a shapeshifter who's sort of halfway between Nidalee and Shyvana. In his human, mage-form, he's a delayed-damage caster; he then transforms into this maw of oblivion kind of thing (mouths everywhere), which lasts for a short duration. In this form, he gains access to 3 alternate abilities but he can only cast each once per ultimate. They're all focused on instant/devouring damage. So he has 3 basic abilities and one ultimate which unlocks his 3 actual ultimates for several seconds before he returns to normal.

Draaaaaaavén

11-14-2012

Riven says hi.

rivnen

11-14-2012

I entered this thread expecting kakashi instead of kenpachi =P

Drmigit2

11-14-2012

This sounds like it could be a remake of Xerath. Considering he is in a poor spot right now, perhaps making his ult be instead of an aoe three burst, he can spam his q all he wants and it gets extra damage. He does this by breaking his chains for a moment.

Aeshura

11-14-2012

I think this is a good Idea. although I say make it a support. It's the only way you can add "downtime" without hurting the flow of a teamfight.

Q-Shoots a skillshot cannon, buffs allied armor for 3 seconds/decreases enemy armor.
W- Zone effect that decreases enemy champions attack speed by "X"% for 2-5 seconds
E- Buffs nearby champions increasing movement speed by "X" for 3 seconds
R- (I'm thinking like graves buckshot, when it hits a champion it unfolds) All champions in the AoE are effected by the aforementioned buffs and debuffs, during this time the casters abilities go on coodown during the duration, pressing R again cancels the effect. (I figure putting a cancel in for when the fight moves out of the zone)

Zudok

11-14-2012

Great idea!

Pintash

11-14-2012

I like the Goku style archetype best for this 'transform to unleash your true power' idea.

However, like Griftrix said it'd be really hard to make both relevant in said champs normal state and not OP in unleashed state.

One interesting way you could potentially balance this is by - and I'll use the Goku archetype (think Ezreal type skills) - improving the skill power exponentially with enhancements like: lowered cooldowns, more damage, no resource cost, penetration, moves through multi target (think twitch ult on mystic shots) for example but removing the ability to auto-attack. This then becomes a very high risk/high reward skill.

Another possibility is to counteract the power increase you'd need some sort of drawback to the ability. Like all resistances are lowered by 50, for example.

To put this into perspective. Imagine if Ezreal unleashed his power and lost the ability to auto-attack but all his skill shots became crazy powerful. It would need to be balanced to a point where if you actually hit all the shots its worth it, if you dont you would have been better off sticking to auto-attacks.

The other side of this is - again, like Griftrix said you need the champ to FEEL like theyre unleashed. This IMO is 50% animation. What if Ez could transform into a badass - lets ignore that PFE exists for a second - with tattered clothing, ripped muscles, surrounding aura, glowing eyes, bigger skill particles and a more powerful stance. Even if his skills didnt actually change you (the player) would still feel pretty badass.

While I know this isnt exactly what some people are suggesting I dont think a Night Stalker style champ (useless during the day, OP at night) would work in League.

KalmDown

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Midnight View Post
You realize you are describing about 15% of the champions already in the game right? A champions playstyle should never be solely based on one button. If it's on a short cooldown then you will either be OP or you will defeat the purpose of this thread because super power ultimates CANNOT be on low cooldowns for obvious reasons.

Use some common sense people. It's a basic game design concept. For examples tanks cannot do assassin dps, because it would be OP. And super strong ultimates cannot have small cooldowns. And basing a playstyle off of a ability with a huge cooldown is only something an amateur would do.
A few faults in your argument:

1) Nobody is suggesting that the proposed champion idea should focus solely on it's ultimate ability.

2) I realize that my very general response to your even more general argument that long cooldowns are a detriment to compelling gameplay tends to overlap with a few champions already in the game, and only use this example to point out the fact that it can be done without having an egregiously long cooldown. I was in no way attempting to say that the proposed routes were the only ones possible, nor that these routes should be the ones followed if this fantasy thread were ever to become something more substantial. (This isn't so much a fault in your argument, but a vagueness in my own)

3) You've already defeated the purpose of the thread with your "this type of champion wouldn't work" argument, so you can't use that to defend yourself, nor attack others.

4) Obvious statements are obvious and ultimately irrelevant.

5) Claiming that doing something some way is something that only an amateur would do implies some sort of expertise in the topic being discussed. This being "basic game design," to use your term, does not qualify you to make such an assertion without citing either your source or, at the very least, an explanation of your authority in the subject at hand.