Jax laning against Olaf

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sneaky Thing

11-15-2012

I play top, jungle, ADC, and support a lot. Not a whole lot of mid. I will say that I prefer top, and had the opportunity to do so recently. Unfortunately, I picked second, and was counter-picked by the enemy team.

Jax is my preferred top, and the enemy chose Olaf. I've always had trouble with Olaf, as many people do as Jax, because of his anti-CC, slow, and strong sustain on top of the consistent true damage. I played defensively and managed to keep from losing my lane, but went on to lose the game anyway.

My question is how can a Jax outplay an Olaf? Are there any tactics for out-poking his Undertow and Reckless Swing at levels 2 and 3? How can I aggressively zone Olaf as Jax?

DJQuanQuan

11-15-2012

As jax there isn't much you can do to keep up with early game trades, if they play a smart Olaf and lvl reckless swing early its impossible to come out ahead. I typically play it close to the chest and take creeps when they are available. Once you get to lvl 6 Olaf will not longer be able to stay ahead on trades. Just hit a creep twice, jump to Olaf and on the ulti hit charge your w to max the damage. Even if Olaf wants to stick around and try to come out ahead on the trade, start up your counterstrike and by the time he is stunned you should be able to get a second ulti hit on him.

Outside of that, do not position poorly and ask for help from your jungle if they can.

Cheers

Maleric

11-15-2012

Have someone counter pick olaf and you go jungle.

Sneaky Thing

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuanQuan View Post
As jax there isn't much you can do to keep up with early game trades, if they play a smart Olaf and lvl reckless swing early its impossible to come out ahead. I typically play it close to the chest and take creeps when they are available. Once you get to lvl 6 Olaf will not longer be able to stay ahead on trades. Just hit a creep twice, jump to Olaf and on the ulti hit charge your w to max the damage. Even if Olaf wants to stick around and try to come out ahead on the trade, start up your counterstrike and by the time he is stunned you should be able to get a second ulti hit on him.

Outside of that, do not position poorly and ask for help from your jungle if they can.

Cheers
I actually do well in early trades in top lane as Jax. Since most top picks are Melee AD or Jayce, I can get Counter Strike early and get pretty much give unreturned poke.

I pick up a Vampiric Scepter first and can zone most people out, but the slow and true damage from olaf just wrecked me.

DJQuanQuan

11-15-2012

Gotya, try out boots and 3 pots first, that extra mobility will help keep you out of reckless swing range and dodge those Axe tosses easier