Item Preview – The Storm

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xMsyk

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Hey guys. If you haven’t already, check out my [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=31152189"]initial post[/url2] about the itemization changes you’ll be seeing during the preseason. Today I thought I’d reveal a new item we can’t wait for you to get your hands on.

Ranged Carries traditionally have had the role of completely and utterly dominating a single target through high-capacity damage. However, many of our AD carries also have a substantial amount of Area of Effect damage that they currently are unable to specialize into. This leads them to an interesting paradox – I am a carry with strong Area of Effect damage, but I must itemize single target damage to stay relevant.

What if we could give you an alternative?

First of all, let’s examine what this item actually does:

[aws3]news/November_2012/2012_11_14_Item_Preview_The_Storm/Temp_Art.jpg[/aws3]

Hurricane allows your ranged basic attacks to fire secondary bolts at nearby targets. These bolts cannot critically strike but can trigger your other on-hit effects, such as Varus’ Blighted Quiver in the above example. This allows characters like Varus or Miss Fortune, already strong Area of Effect damage dealers, to specialize into Area of Effect damage if they’d like to do so.
Xypherous, weren't you banned from the Itemization departement around 2 years ago from now because of the "Locket incident"?

I'm both excited and terrified by how broken and yet awesome the new items are going to be.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

How much this costs and what the other ranged carry items do (and how badly they've been nerfed) will be the critical factor in determining if item is picked up or not.

Really though, I can only see this being strong on Ashe (Turbo kite), Graves (perma AS boost), and Kog'maw.

The reset of the points are situational, IMO, but that's me.

Chromaggus

11-14-2012

This item scares the **** out of me

on paper this seems REALLY, broken

IonDragonX

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaara72 View Post
How does the storm work with sivir's W?
Probably doesn't. The skills that replace the next auto-attack with something special apparently don't get added to the 2 extra shots. Pick a Card from TF, Sivir's Ricochet and Draven's Spinning Axe will not be replicated on the 2 extra. 99% sure.

ViashinoWizard

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySkyHigh777 View Post
5) Will this item increase the procs on Graves' passive in any way? Or only for his quickdraw?
True Grit gains stacks based on time, not on procs. It shouldn't be affected by attack speed or Hurricane.

FineyLeee

11-14-2012

New Varus build:

boots3 > Malady > Sorcshoes > Storm > Rabadon's > Nashor's > situational

Mourgus

11-14-2012

If Kayle always counts as ranged for the other changes, does this mean Kayle will be a melee champion capable of using this item? If so, will her AoE apply to all 3 targets or just the one?
What about spellcasters who benefit from auto attacks?
Will this allow Lux to detonate multiple passives with a single auto-attack?
For Orianna, does this work in the same way as Vayne's Silver Bolts, or will it apply to all 3 targets?
Are we going to be seeing 3 blades flying around when Sivir uses this item?
Sona's Powerchord?
(As already asked) TF's Pick a Card?(if it does work, will a single target be capable of being hit by 3 red cards?
So many questions, so little time ;-;

CynicalGiant

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FineyLeee View Post
New Varus build:

boots3 > Malady > Sorcshoes > Storm > Rabadon's > Morello's > situational
Wouldn't you want a hybrid build? Besides, his Q hurts a **** ton if you have blight stacks on you.

FlySkyHigh777

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViashinoWizard View Post
True Grit gains stacks based on time, not on procs. It shouldn't be affected by attack speed or Hurricane.
Oh good. I don't play graves, I thought it was based off of his attacks.

Dig Imaptpie

11-14-2012

How about our little friend Kog'Maw with this? I hope I'll be spitting on both lane targets a lot with Nunu by my side with this :P

EDIT: Question: Does the percentage health damage go through from W?