Item Preview The Storm

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fat of the Land

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

I strongly dislike the concept of this item for two reasons.

1. Its interactions are far too convoluted. As I understood it the goal of the item changes was to improve the clarity and purpose of each item to empower player choice. If this is still true this item is diametrically opposed to that. Applying some on hit effects but not others, the ranged versus melee stipulation, the absence of criticals. None of this exemplifies intuitive clarity.

2. There is a huge potential for abuse cases, but due to how narrow and specific the uses and interactions of the item are, the abuse cases could only apply in very specific circumstances. So either these interactions will be removed, contributing to the issue outlined above, or the spells and items in question could be weakened and thus become less useful outside their use in tandem. And wasn't this exact issue your justification for removing Force of Nature and Madreds Bloodrazor? Moreover the potential for abuse could theoretically inhibit future champion designs that include spells which scale exponentially with this item, such as Kog'Maws W or Teemos poison.

Could you not simply use Tiamat for all splash auto attack purposes? For example rather than the splash damage being a % of total AD it could be a % of total damage dealt including attack modifiers and on-hit damage, yet without applying those on-hit effects to splash targets.

DoozleDorf

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbull View Post
Are there plans to make it so melee champions cannot even buy ranged only items and vice versa?

I feel concerned that these items give trolls "funnier" options to troll with. I do understand, however, that no matter what we do trolls gunna troll.
In the Tiamat thread, he said he has people working on this, so I would guess they will apply the same on hurricane as well....

SquishyArchon

11-14-2012

Sorry if it's been asked before: So since Shen's passive gets reduced for each auto attack he makes would he recharge 3x faster with each strike with this item? (Assuming both bolts hit.)

EDIT: Oh nvm, forgot the part about it being ranged, haha my bad.

Rippyman

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaytalis View Post
Ezreal: tons of damage
More like NONES of damage! Ha!

I'm sorry

Rippyman

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyArchon View Post
Sorry if it's been asked before: So since Shen's passive gets reduced for each auto attack he makes would he recharge 3x faster with each strike with this item? (Assuming both bolts hit.)
effect is for ranged attacks only. Although I'm guessing if it wasn't the answer would be yes.

Super Explosion

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Oh yes, Lux should detonate her passive on multiple enemies that have it - but Hurricane would be awful on her. XD
That's what you think!

Shurelia is known for her AD Luxing, and she's almost guaranteed to bust out Hurricane Lux all over a few games.

Fast-farming AD Lux.

Alecksee

11-14-2012

It is incredibly lame that this item does not work with Kayle's Righteous Fury. There is nothing in any of the working on Kayle's tooltip or the item tooltip to lead me to believe that it wouldn't work and deal essentially triple AOE damage. Additionally it will not be entirely obvious to players that it is not working since Kayle is already doing AOE damage (just not as much as they would expect).

Riot has said in the past that their core design philosophy was an intuitive game that is easy to pick up and learn. Item's like this seem to add a huge burden of knowledge for your player base. A player just starting to learn this game is already quickly going to become overwhelmed by the fact that there are over a 100 champions. I think Riot employees need to take a step back and realize that not all players have been playing for 3 years and already understand all these different types of champion/item interactions. Perhaps it could be because all your designers, testers and balancer's are all high level players that you can quickly lose focus of the fact that 95% of the LoL community is much less sophisticated in their knowledge of this game.

Colfunderscorero

11-14-2012

Quote:
2. Hextech Shrapnel is based off your total attack damage, so it applies 10% of his total attack damage.
Feel free to correct me, but while Corki's passive doesn't work on crits anymore doesn't it still work with Trinity force/sheen? So while I know that if you proc sheen with Hurricane only the initial target takes the bonus damage, but that person also takes more damage from corki's passive. Do the other targets take the same damage from his passive, or is it changed to only 10% of his total AD?
Again I may be wrong and they might have made his passive no longer scale with trinity/sheen, but I don't think so

IonDragonX

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippyman View Post
answered so many times....bolts don't pierce, but fire as if AA was normal.
But they will gain the AD and the range while still having the passive. Good enough.

Tryphikik

11-14-2012

Quote:
Yes - this is probably true. Which is why we're doing these item additions in pre-season. If we've found that any particular item warps the game around it - we'll either retune the item or remove the item for the sake of a healthier game.

However, this is exactly the time to try crazy and risky stuff that gets people excited about itemization and specializing their builds. We owe it to you guys to try to put in awesome stuff that'll make your play experience more fun and if it doesn't work - we also owe it to you guys to apologize and pull it and try to come up with equally fun stuff.

In short, your feedback will tell us which of these items are healthy and which of these items are evil.
You can bold pre-season and justify doing risky things towards the game balance all day... but this isn't the pre-season for the average player, solo-queue ratings don't reset before the end of season 3 again... this is season 3 for us. It also could ruin normal games which are completely unrelated to the season. So really if you do a bunch of stupid **** that breaks the game, the fact that it is "pre-season" is ONLY relevant to pro players and nobody else.

I just hope you guys have tested this stuff extensively and aren't just throwing it out there because hey it's pre-season who gives a ****. Either way, in my opinion this item will either be unviable or make ad carries grossly overpowered and there isn't much room for a middle ground. They are already exceptional late game without the need for "aoe" on basic attacks, so if the item is worth buying it's just gonna be brutal for an entire teams front line.