Why is any elo under 1700 elo considered "low elo"?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheUndeadFish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Think of it this way. You know how 700 players play. I'm at 1500~. If a 2300 player sees me play I look like how I see a 700 player, which is absolutely awful. Its all relative.

Now I considered myself proficient at street fighter when I was growing up I would win against all my friends, I could beat almost anyone with ryu that I came across. However after HS I watched evo tournaments after youtube started existing. I watched just a couple games of them playing and I realised that if I was to go against them I could play 1000 games, and there was maybe a 2% chance that I might get lucky enough to beat them 1 out of those 1000 games. They would see me playing and it would be comparable to me playing a brand new player button mashing that doesn't even know what QCF is.

To those players I am low elo, even if I'm within top 25% of players I'm still low elo. Everyone compares themselves to the best players. If you don't then you have no desire to get better. The first step to not being in the "lower" category is realizing that you are there.

jak36

11-14-2012

doesnt 1200 just mean 50% win/loss ratio? not trying to justify elitism or anything, i just feel elo should b clearly defined

ZeroKuno

11-14-2012

Since people can make smurf accounts anything over 1200 is really up for debate.
1200~1800 is the range where you have no idea what your real player pool is unless they have accumulated around 600 ranked games total in Wins/Loss.
The only way to really say what ELO you belong to is when you have a lot of games in and hover in the area of the given ELO.
I still don't know what my ELO is as I don't play that much ranked. I know what it is from my normal ELO though.

FranKK456

11-14-2012

like so many people said by now it's matter of perspective
when i see 800/700's guys they looks like noobs to me.
but if a 1700/1800 (+) guy watches me playing he just 'll puke

Absowute

11-14-2012

its weird you think 1300 is good, then when you get better at this game you will see how horrible people at 1600 are, then at 1700. Some people at 1700 have no maps just mechanics and nothing else

Deikan

11-14-2012

Cuz everyone starts at 1200 and from 1700 to 1200 there is only 500 elo difference. If 1700 is really high elo what would 2500 or even 2800 be?

Ko Hakoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerocaliber View Post
Actually OP, those statistics were from Season 1. This year, 1300 is about 66% or 2/3 of the playerbase. If you are below 1300, you are actually lower than the majority of players. Infact, gold is the top 15% which is significantly higher than it was last year (top 3%).

http://i.imgur.com/LVlQE.png

Edit: Lol, downvote for truth.

From Riot:
If you look at that chart and those numbers you will see that you are mistaken.

The chart is of all 1200+ players... That means it completely ignores the ~50% of the population below 1200 as they are not listed on the ladder.

The stats from riot also echo this, because Bronze is the remaining 50% of the ranked population.

Edit: Read through the rest of the thread and I see people made this point already.

Mhm916

11-14-2012

Because a majority of LoL players aren't good'. Being a top 10% of a bunch of bad players does not make you good by any means. In order to be considered good, you'd have to be a top 10~20% of the set of people who aren't "bad". The LoL database is HUGE. The amount of bad players heavily outweighs the amounts of good players.

Eat Orange Be K

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by –ucktales View Post
so by you rlogic. if one would play placement games to get gold off the bat then quit ranked for the rest of the season to get gold. they are good? gtfo you dont deserve any rank if you dont play ranked consistantly over the season. noone deserves to be below a ranked player that never plays
Elo Decay, broseph

Jgrhymes

11-14-2012

Elo wasn't created for team games and works a bit differently so this comparison may not be totally relevant, but in chess, basically anything above 1700-1800ish would be considered near expert level and a VERY small percentage of players go above 2k.

Median elo would be about 700 and a good beginner would be at about 1k.