Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why is any elo under 1700 elo considered "low elo"?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stevev45

11-14-2012

Quote:
chaser676:
What is the 50% mark? 1100?

If silver is top 40th to 50th percentile, then lowest tier of silver is the 50% mark. so 1150.

Barioth

11-14-2012

under 1700 there are good people, but the vast majority of players are bad
Keep in mind what is elo, it's the measure of a players skill over time, not in 1 or 2 games. So anyone under 1700, 1900 usually do bad or average bad. Of course one game or the other they might be good but overall they are bad.
Also, league of legends is a very popular game, even if "only" 25% of the player base is around 1400, that actualy means TONS of players. When you reach 2% of the playerbase, that's when you start to get good.

qtm10

11-14-2012

Because players that are much better, i.e. 2.4k, will percieve them as bad relatively to themselves. Some of them don't realize that 1.7k players are in fact better than like 97% of all ranked players, and an even higher percentage of all LoL players.

Stevev45

11-14-2012

Quote:
Barioth:
Keep in mind what is elo, it's the measure of a players skill over tie, not in 1 or 2 games. So anyone under 1700, 1900 usually do bad or average bad. Of course one game or the other they might be good but overall they are bad.
Also, league of legends is a very popular game, even if "only" 25% of the player base is around 1400, that actualy means TONS of players. When you reach 2% of the playerbase, that's when you start to get good.

Watching people struggle with quantifying qualitative terms for the first time is funny.

Talisid

11-14-2012

Quote:
Jackilla:
There is only so much the devs can do in terms of a tutorial. Everyone learns differently. They can't cater to how such a large playerbase learns. The way most players learn things is through an experienced friend, or just from playing alot, and having helpful teammates give tips and criticisms (hence, the "helpful" honor). The only way to effectively teach newcomers in a large scale is to have a mentor system, like how other games with high learning curves usually work with. Don't feel like looking up examples, but I know mentor systems exist out there.

Exactly.

Consider this situation - the enemy jungler, Maokai, and the enemy mid, Katarina, are invading your jungler, Skarner. You are playing Morgana.

In this situation, do you go help your jungler? Well, that depends. It depends on levels and farm. It depends on how recently you went to buy compared to the enemy team. It depends on how much mana Skarner, Morg and Mao have and how much health they have left. It even depends on the location in the jungle and weather or not bot or top lane is moving in as well, It also depends on if the enemy top or bot lane are MIA or if you have vision of them with wards. It depends on if Skarner's flash and/or ult are up or not. It depends on if your ult is up. It depends on if Blue or Red buff are up (or will be up soon).

There's SO MANY factors that have to be weighed in every decision. How do you put that in a tutorial? A miss-step here could mean you and Skarner both die and the enemy team gets a free dragon. There is so much in LoL that just comes down to experience and knowing what you and the enemy team are capable of.

Blaine Tog

11-14-2012

I made it to 1243 last season in solo queue and I'm proud of that. I know I'm far from being a professional-level player, but I buckled down, tried my best, and made it to above the 50% mark, which was my goal. I don't know if I can reasonably hope to make it to Gold for season 3, but I'm going to give it my best shot. For me, that's all that really matters. I don't have anyone to impress but myself.

SoWrules

11-14-2012

Quote:
Jackilla:
There is only so much the devs can do in terms of a tutorial. Everyone learns differently. They can't cater to how such a large playerbase learns. The way most players learn things is through an experienced friend, or just from playing alot, and having helpful teammates give tips and criticisms (hence, the "helpful" honor). The only way to effectively teach newcomers in a large scale is to have a mentor system, like how other games with high learning curves usually work with. Don't feel like looking up examples, but I know mentor systems exist out there.

The problem is that isn't what the tutorial would have to cover. he said basic principles.

There is no diversity in the basic tactics and principles of league.

Simply put. this is what the tutorial currently covers.Killing minions gives you gold
Towers hit you if you're close
Killing jungle mobs gives more exp
Killing the nexus ends the game
killing inhibitors gives super minions
Brush makes you invisible to the enemy
You buy items at the shop
You cannot buy items away from your shop
The summoner pool heals you and protects you

While this is all fine and dandy. it should cover not only those things, but also.
The spawn times of all buffs and objectives
Press tab to see the scoreboard
The mute button is beside each summoner's name
Explanation of item choices. such as magic pen,and armor pen and such.
Explanation of skill ratios. They could easily put the actual numbers they scale on if you click your champion's icon and press skills
Explanation of how objectives work
WARDS. EXPLANATION OF WARDS.
How turrets work. Truthfully i only recently learned that turrets do more damage the more they hit you. which surprised me and made SO MUCH SENSE. This wouldn't have happened had they explained them in the first place. (although the new alert things in the start of every match are very helpful)

I didn't include runes and masteries because those actually are complicated. There could be a light explanation but after that, its up to the player to dictate his runes and mastery placement.

SoWrules

11-14-2012

Quote:
Talisid:
Exactly.

Consider this situation - the enemy jungler, Maokai, and the enemy mid, Katarina, are invading your jungler, Skarner. You are playing Morgana.

In this situation, do you go help your jungler? Well, that depends. It depends on levels and farm. It depends on how recently you went to buy compared to the enemy team. It depends on how much mana Skarner, Morg and Mao have and how much health they have left. It even depends on the location in the jungle and weather or not bot or top lane is moving in as well, It also depends on if the enemy top or bot lane are MIA or if you have vision of them with wards. It depends on if Skarner's flash and/or ult are up or not. It depends on if your ult is up. It depends on if Blue or Red buff are up (or will be up soon).

There's SO MANY factors that have to be weighed in every decision. How do you put that in a tutorial? A miss-step here could mean you and Skarner both die and the enemy team gets a free dragon. There is so much in LoL that just comes down to experience and knowing what you and the enemy team are capable of.

The problem with this, is that is not something that is covered by a tutorial. This is a result of player judgement. This is when you use the basic principles and skills that you have learned, and make a decision based on the situation. Tutorials will never, in any game, cover specific situations such as this, because they can't. Its too subjective.
But look, in your hypothetical situation, not only did you know about wards, and ultimates, not to mention you also knew about buff timers, you understood mana and health levels, your actual champion levels, and buying items. All this is supposed to be covered in a tutorial.(and some of it is).
A player learns throughout his playing period. He learns by actually playing the game, the tutorial is merely an introduction to the player, to cover the basic aspects so that they are able to enter the game knowing enough to actually progress. Currently the tutorial does not cover that enough. and that is what needs to be fixed. In clarification, a tutorial cannot baby a player. it can only guide them towards their own self-advancement.

Let it be known, that i am in no way meaning to pick an argument. I am merely stating my view on this suggestion and its following responses to give a clear answer to others who may ask the same thing.

Sylkhr

11-14-2012

Quote:
Ghost775:
Only elo doesn't work like a leaderboard. Multiple people can have the same elo, and if a majority of the community work up to the same point 1700 wouldn't be the top 10%

No, this is incorrect.

If a majority of the community worked their way up to 1700, then someone had to lose elo for them to get there. The percentiles would be exactly the same. Elo is a closed system. In order for one person to gain elo, someone else has to lose an equal amount.

If everyone starts at 1200, and 50 of these people get to 1700, they gained a total of 25000 elo. SOMEONE had to lose 25000 elo for them to gain it, therefore, it is still the top 10%.

Genspirit

11-14-2012

Quote:
Barioth:
Keep in mind what is elo, it's the measure of a players skill over tie, not in 1 or 2 games. So anyone under 1700, 1900 usually do bad or average bad. Of course one game or the other they might be good but overall they are bad.

its not really a measure of skill its a measure of your ability to carry a game individual skill != abilitiy to carry

someone could be a terrible individual player and have a really high elo simply because he is smart about plays and good at getting his team together meanwhile another players is comparitvely low in elo but always wins his lane however has poor judgement or just doesnt guide the team at all