Why is any elo under 1700 elo considered "low elo"?

12345678 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerocaliber

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser676 View Post
Copied from a popular ELO hell thread



I've always been proud of my 1287 elo, even though I played those 20 games a year ago. I see gold as a huge achievement, and I have no delusions that I'm not even close to being as good as a plat level player.
Actually OP, those statistics were from Season 1. This year, 1300 is about 66% or 2/3 of the playerbase. If you are below 1300, you are actually lower than the majority of players. Infact, gold is the top 15% which is significantly higher than it was last year (top 3%).

http://i.imgur.com/LVlQE.png

Edit: Lol, downvote for truth.

From Riot:

Quote:
Diamond - Top 0.05% to 0.1%
Platinum - Top 0.5% to 1%
Gold - Top 5% to 10%
Silver - Top 40% to 50%


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sylkhr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-14-2012

1250 elo is around 50th percentile. This means that you are better than 50% of all other players in LoL (that play ranked). You are also worse than 50% of the players. However, 1700 is more along the lines of 90th or 95th percentile. They are better than 90% of other players.

This is why.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chaser676

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost775 View Post
The thing is, you start at 1200 elo, so gold is now only 300 elo away from start. Anything below 1200 means you actually lost elo by playing, and if you put in even a small amount of effort over an extended period of time you could easily hit 1700-1800, which is where I think most players would probably stop rising if they worked at it.

Beyond 1800 is when you separate those better than the rest, and when you hit 2300-2500 you start to see people who practice and actually put thought into the game instead of following an accepted meta and learning the 'right' way to play a champ.

So that is why I think anything below 1700 is low elo, because anyone should be able to work their way to at least 1700 if they put the effort in.
Bro, you gotta know that's not true. Mathematically, 1700 elo is super hard to get to for the vast majority. Remember, 5 people lose elo every game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ðucktales

Senior Member

11-14-2012

i like how you can say your elo is supposed to be such and such cause you yourself know how to ward and last hit. well guess what? its a TEAM game. when you have a retarded person on your team are you gonna win? the odds are not favorable. get off your plat high horse cause you got lucky with team comps. or you are such a smart guy you dodge any and all games that have that mentally retarded person in pre game chat.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kuniv

Senior Member

11-14-2012

If you ever make it to 1700, you'll know.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joey bad4ss

Member

11-14-2012

So when I was gold I was really a boss then? Sweet


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerocaliber

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylkhr View Post
1250 elo is around 50th percentile. This means that you are better than 50% of all other players in LoL (that play ranked). You are also worse than 50% of the players. However, 1700 is more along the lines of 90th or 95th percentile. They are better than 90% of other players.

This is why.
Nope, its more like the 30th percentile. So 70% of the players are better than you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Minute 31

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylkhr View Post
1250 elo is around 50th percentile. This means that you are better than 50% of all other players in LoL (that play ranked). You are also worse than 50% of the players. However, 1700 is more along the lines of 90th or 95th percentile. They are better than 90% of other players.

This is why.
Only elo doesn't work like a leaderboard. Multiple people can have the same elo, and if a majority of the community work up to the same point 1700 wouldn't be the top 10%


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Talisid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Considering the average level of play in this game currently is very poor, its not too impressive.

That said, there's no reason to be ashamed of being Silver.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Minute 31

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser676 View Post
Bro, you gotta know that's not true. Mathematically, 1700 elo is super hard to get to for the vast majority. Remember, 5 people lose elo every game.
On average, elo loss is lower than elo gained.


12345678 ... 11