Budget Gaming PC Guide Ver. I

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShadowDark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
What I actually came in here to say is that anyone planning on a system build could possibly lower the cost of even what you have with enough advanced planning. People have this idea that they must buy all their parts at one time, and this just isn't true!

Places like Tiger.com, Newegg.com, Amazon.com, and just about every other .com that sells parts loves to have sales. If you play your cards right you can easily score serious savings on parts. The key to doing this is timing, and spreading your purchases out over the course of maybe a couple of months. The retailers of parts aren't, obviously, going to throw everything you need on sale at one time. They are going to cycle through the sales on components.

The idea behind this is if you put a power supply and case on sale, then anyone that buys it will just impulse buy the rest of the system or a few more components. Once that sale is done they move it to other components, so and and so forth. Now if you play the game correctly, and purchase in phases over a period of time, you can shave even more money off the build cost. Purchase the PSU when it is on sale, snag the motherboard when it is on sale, case comes around, snag it, do this until you have all your parts.
That's what I did with my current system, and I managed to save nearly $300. It took around four months to get everything I wanted on sale. If you have the time and patience, I'd definitely recommend buying over a longer period of time, at least if you're trying to maximize what your money gets you.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheFieldMarshal

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
This is where you and I think alike, "What can this little machine do?!" *Squeeze*

Though I won't lie, my current system is more or less a monster. I have considered selling it and doing an ITX build, maybe with the BitFenix Prodigy case. Anyways...

What I actually came in here to say is that anyone planning on a system build could possibly lower the cost of even what you have with enough advanced planning. People have this idea that they must buy all their parts at one time, and this just isn't true!

Places like Tiger.com, Newegg.com, Amazon.com, and just about every other .com that sells parts loves to have sales. If you play your cards right you can easily score serious savings on parts. The key to doing this is timing, and spreading your purchases out over the course of maybe a couple of months. The retailers of parts aren't, obviously, going to throw everything you need on sale at one time. They are going to cycle through the sales on components.

The idea behind this is if you put a power supply and case on sale, then anyone that buys it will just impulse buy the rest of the system or a few more components. Once that sale is done they move it to other components, so and and so forth. Now if you play the game correctly, and purchase in phases over a period of time, you can shave even more money off the build cost. Purchase the PSU when it is on sale, snag the motherboard when it is on sale, case comes around, snag it, do this until you have all your parts.
I will add that to the website. I do that too, buy pieces over 2-3 months. I bought a 400w 80+ bronze certified PSU from antec(The gamer series) for 11 bucks. Got a cooler Master Elite 431 case for 20, ASrock H61 board for 30, and 8GB of ram for 22. If you build slowly you can save even more money. My personal gamer is a powerhouse too, I7-2600k @ 4.5GHz 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, 2x 120GB Vertex 4 SSD's, and a GTX 480.