Situational awareness, wat do

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JadothBloodreign

11-12-2012

I'm really bad at it.

Back when I used to do normals I'd always put up wards and everything, but even with wards I'd still get ganked by stuff. I've died many, many times to flying things, or walking right into enemies, or walking into things I shouldn't be walking into.

I know there are people out there who can land skillshots on people while being able to notice not-so-sneaky me off to the side attempting a flank attack. I've seen people dodge close-range, fast-moving skillshots that come from a direction opposite where they're moving/attacking.

Is there a trick to being aware of what's going on around you? Usually I'm not aware of an incoming skillshot or a gank until after they hit me.

ryzeonline

11-13-2012

This is a fantastic question Jadoth!

I wish more summoners would be interested in situational awareness! Rock on, man.

I'm sure you'll receive all kinds of ideas, and all I can give you are a few of mine, I learned from experience.

In my experience, situational awareness is easy and normal, but most people are:

-too focused on kills
-too focused on their gold
-too focused on the negativity of others
-too focused on what their lane-mate is doing
-too focused on gold + cs
-too focused on their skype chat
-too focused on the rejection they received earlier that day
etc...

...to actually be aware of anything 'bigger', like mias and whats happening in other lanes.

Dropping those distractions, worked wonders for my own personal map awareness, to the point where I feel a strange "sense" of what's going on in the map, and I call "backs" almost magically, just knowing the opponents will show up shortly.

I highly recommend becoming unattached to kills, sensitive to other lanes, used to the timing of aggression + minion waves, so you know when it's "safe to look away from your lane", etc.

Hope that helps,
Keep ryzin'!

Hotdogs

11-13-2012

move on the mini map when you aren't laning or fighting (right click on mini map to move)
use attack move (press a then left click)
use the center camera button generously

DrRobotnik

11-13-2012

Try picking up a champ with a global ult. The first champ I got good with was ashe. Learning the timing and actively looking for opportunities to shoot it at other lanes greatly helped my map awareness.

Alphabetical

11-13-2012

play support and it will help you learn, cheers.

JadothBloodreign

11-13-2012

I main support (I've just been having too much fun with Jarvan lately...)

I have tried detatching the camera and using it to look around, though the times I do that are usually the times I walk into something hostile. And if I'm looking at the minimap, I can't see what's happening onscreen. I need to keep an eye on my character so that I can see how much health I have left.

Is there anything like a "sequence" of places to look? Maybe check other places on your screen/map every few seconds?

Leninon

11-13-2012

Hello JadothBloodreign

If your boxing with champs, try [rounds/bounces] (dip into engagement and disengagement) to get a breather and yoga eye stretches around the map ( dont fatigue yourself nor kill yourself irl over tiny micromanage--[self defeating]). Make a self assessment as to your [condition] and [effort];i hope its not too taxing.

Look for what [interest]s you and go [support] their [push]. If its too great a [risk], [moral gamble] or take steps show your [activism] too.

Try other champs as they get different [passion]s for map locations.

hav fun

Leninon

ps- ward guide u requested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJZn68X-EaQ

JadothBloodreign

11-13-2012

I'm.. not sure what you're trying to say O.o; I do know where to ward, they just don't help me at all.

I have also found that I'm unable to play an ADC because I can't last hit. It takes me a long time to figure out if a minion is going to die if I hit it, and by that time, I've either been killed by something (I can't see my own health if I'm trying to shoot at things) or the minion's dead. Is there a way to improve last hitting or do you just take random crapshoots and hope you kill things?

Maleric

11-14-2012

Your health should be visible above your character for your own awareness.

As to last hitting, that's just something you have to practice. Go into a custom match and just practice it. You have to get a feel for your champions damage to minions so you can know how much health the minion has to have left before you can last-hit it. This is just part of knowing the champion you're playing.

As to having too many places to look, I find looking for "context clues" to be my solution to this. I watch my teammates overview in the top left that shows their health and what not, and I make quick glances to my minimap to see who's where.

As an example, say I'm in lane, last hitting, nothing much going on. I glance to my minimap to see where everyone's at, most notably the junglers. If I see my jungler coming to my lane, I know he wants to gank, and I can start baiting. I don't need to move my camera to him, nor do anything else but glance at my minimap for that.

Furthermore, let's say I glance up to the overviews of my allies and see someone's health decreasing. That tells me they're in a fight, and with a quick glance of my minimap I can see if they're running back to tower, chasing, or getting ganked. That will in turn tell me whether they're winning, or losing that fight without having to move my camera there.

A quick glance occasionally to my minimap will also tell me how a person is doing in their lane. If they're constantly at their tower and with a look at the ally overview in the top left I see their health and mana low, I know they're not doing well.

Without moving my camera or spending much time staring at either the team overview in the top left, or the minimap I can quickly deduce what's going on in the game just by noting a few key features of each. That being said, I prefer my camera to stay unlocked so I can have the perfect view position (which to me isn't always central to my champion), and I make liberal use of my spacebar to recenter when necessary.

JadothBloodreign

11-14-2012

I've practiced last hitting before. I can do it just fine when I don't have other things to keep track of. It's hard to translate, say, "55 damage" into a splotch of red color in a tiny health bar. Or the minions will run in and kill it before I can.

I'm very thankful that the health bars do float over your character's head, otherwise I'd have to keep my eyes on the health/mana display at the bottom of the screen. Normally I'm watching the hovering health bar, if it starts dropping I'll try to move to the nearest turret or ally. Do you have to look back and forth a lot? There's the overview, your character, the stuff you're last hitting, the minimap... That's a lot of stuff.

Also, I did not know that the spacebar centers the camera, I'm going to have to try that.