How do I Malphite?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ElevenOfClubs

11-13-2012

I've played a couple games with Malphite (long enough ago they aren't in my match history), and managed to win.

I'm not quite sure how I did it, other then building AP and ignoring everything to land good (multiperson) ults.

I can't protect a squishy with Malphite. If I dive past the enemy front line, I can zone an AD carry out of a fight, but if the team forgoes an AD carry for a more bruiser-hard dive comp, or an enemy AP carry is the threat I need to worry about, I don't know what to do.

What SHOULD I be doing as Malphite in Dominion?

SuperQuackDuck

11-13-2012

Step 1. Build FH
There is no step 2.

Orphane

11-13-2012

There's 2 ways of being Rock Solid

1) Stand on your carry and hit E when bruisers dive them, then possibly R and Q the bruisers. If they can't get out given what you're doing, your carry was probably positioning poorly and deserved to die.

2) Balls deep R + W + E + Q into their team's squishies (at least 2-3 targets plz) and then hope they **** their pants hard enough from the insane damage you did to them that you survive.

Also you probably want to build an even mix of stats, like FH/Randuin's, Abyssal/Odyn's. You can start double doran's or doran's/null magic mantle.

Westlin

11-13-2012

1. Go into key bindings set taunt to A.
2. Spam A

Redenbacher

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphane View Post
There's 2 ways of being Rock Solid

1) Stand on your carry and hit E when bruisers dive them, then possibly R and Q the bruisers. If they can't get out given what you're doing, your carry was probably positioning poorly and deserved to die.

2) Balls deep R + W + E + Q into their team's squishies (at least 2-3 targets plz) and then hope they **** their pants hard enough from the insane damage you did to them that you survive.

Also you probably want to build an even mix of stats, like FH/Randuin's, Abyssal/Odyn's. You can start double doran's or doran's/null magic mantle.
Basically everything said here. I start a fight typically with method #1, and when the timing is right and the enemy is nice, bunched up and committed... BOOM! Knock up, beat down, massive AS slow, win teamfight. Almost every ADC will poop themselves and blow their escape to get the hell away from you, then die shortly afterward to the second ground slam.

kirillian

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperQuackDuck View Post
Step 1. Build FH
There is no step 2.
Right now...get Blackfire Torch after FH...Just because...

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

My Personal Favorite is going LEEEROOOOY JENKINS!!! balls deep into the enemy team but tha's rather team dependant...i still have fun LEEEEROOOY JENKINS moment though

Mindllapse

11-19-2012

same thing you do with any other tank, go in first before your teammates so that the opponents waste their abilities on you

Pregnaloons

11-20-2012

As far as build goes you have 4 options on Dominion.

Full tank - Boots (AR or MR), FH, Sunfire, FoN, FM, then Odyns or Thornmail depending
Bruiser - Boots (AR or MR), FM, Maw of Mal, Blackfire, Triforce, FH
AD - Berzerker greaves, IE, Sanguine blade, PD, (choice of 2 defensive items listed above)
AP - Sorc boots, Abyssal, RoA, Deathcap, Zhonyas, (Choice of defensive item listed above)

All of them work on Dominion, even AD, yes it really does, you can build tankier as an AD malph than other AD's, because your W gives you an extra 40% AD, so not only can you build extra armour to counter them, but you still have more AD than them. An early tiamat can be sold later and is quite effective on AD malph as well.

Playstyles
Full tank - Hang around your friends top lane and get in the enemies face, disrupt captures with your ult until your friends can arrive. You don't have the damage to kill a fed enemy, but you can slow people down and be a real nuisance. Go top with team.
Bruiser - Play like any other bruiser, you are pretty bloody strong with your AS debuff, and should beat most other AD melee bruisers. Just get in their faces and stay there. Go top with your team.
AD - Be smart about when to go in, your W gives you a bit of armour to tank, but you still can't take that much more damage than a regular ad carry. use your ult to get up to them, and your Q to stay there. Without your ult up though you can be kited all day long by anyone with a slow. Go top with your team to start with, but you can swap bot later once you get a few items.
AP - you can build tankier AP if you like, but pure ap is pretty nice, poke with Q until you get them low enough to do an ult combo on them. Ignite is very useful to make sure you secure your kill. Without your ult you don't have a lot of damage though, so be careful. Get a lichbane if you find your aren't doing much damage. You can go top or bot, either works well, but you may have a hard time bot early against the traditional powerful bot laners like yorick, ad malz, nunu etc.