Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Loading Border Should Be Based on Queue

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Imsexyyoureugly

Recruiter

11-15-2012

^

Combuztion

11-15-2012

Quote:
Imsexyyoureugly:
Toxic player is toxic, it's not that the border of diamond will change the way the player plays.

The truth is, YOU are making others to look down on 3s and 5s because they don't have the same reward as solo queue. You fundamentally from the bottom of your heart thinks the solo queue is the standard of raw player skill which is not true and here is why; a player is skillful enough to get diamond had options of finding people to play in 3s or 5s but does it make his skill went down? No! If you thought the 3s or 5s reward is easier to achieve then solo, why didn't you make it harder? Instead of taking the rewards away from certain group who thought they achieve the same tier but left with broken rewards.

If you think rank border creates confusion, you should not reward it in the first place. And what you concern doesn't hold the truth; I have against diamond players multiple times and queue with them by solo queue in normal but rarely pair with silver; however, I am still not rewarded as a real diamond player, why? The only time I will see some no border players is when I queue with low elo friends.

My solo queue for TWO accounts were already plat when original announcement took its place; therefore, I made a diamond team to get diamond in one shot then found out that I won't get the reward after the hard work I did for 1 month and was only 1 week before season ends. This is not right. You made people make the wrong choice of playing other queues but also makes people thinking the solo queue is the standard of the "raw" skill by giving it more reward than other queues.

Pretty much this.

Rubyraine

11-15-2012

A lot of people seem to undermine 3s in general. I agree that joining a team after it has achieved diamond is not well deserved, no argument there, but actually getting a 3s team to diamond and putting in the work can be difficult.

once you get to a certain elo in 3s you will be facing very strong teams with very skilled players. Speaking from experience once my team got to a certain elo I was going against teams consisting of all 2.3k+ players and the games were very difficult.

I dont really care what happens with borders but seeing people undermine players who worked hard for diamond 3s is kind of disheartening. Especially if those players didnt get to diamond 3s and experience how difficult it can actually be.

Oh and i definitely agree getting diamond in solo q is probably much harder. Doesnt mean diamond 3s is a walk in the park (unless you join a team after and get 5 wins).

Silphire

11-16-2012

Quote:
Yegg:
Let me first say that the current implementation of the loading screen borders is an experiment, and I'm willing to change how they work if and when I'm convinced that it would be better for the health of the game. What does "health of the game" mean in this case? A couple things:

1. You guys want to show off your accomplishments with your best foot forward. I hear that and it definitely weighs into the decision. Some of you also feel like we didn't give you enough warning on how the borders would work, which is a fair point. We should have locked down how they would work earlier and let you know in the original announcement.

2. I want there to be less toxicity in the game. There are reports of players using the borders as an excuse to belittle other players. The question here is: would those players have been toxic anyway and it's just taking a slightly different form? Or is it creating toxicity where there wouldn't have been any? I'll be looking over the data in the coming days to start to make that distinction.

Some people are saying that this is an example of Riot shunning competitive 5s or indicating that Ranked Teams aren't as important as the Ranked Solo queue. That's simply not the case. I'm one of the biggest advocates for Ranked Teams in the entire company. Since I've been at Riot we've seen huge increases in the popularity of Ranked Teams, and we're only just getting started. The Season 3 Path to Pro (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2755402) that the eSports team put together is a great example of this. Did you know that you can eventually qualify for the Season 3 Championship Series just by making it to the top 32 of the Ranked 5s ladder during the preseason? I don't think a lot of people realize yet just how big of a deal that is. This means you play League of Legends professionally, receive a salary, play in a season with weekly scheduled matches, and compete for millions of dollars.

However, as much as I like Ranked Teams, it's a fact that doing well in those queues is as much about who you know as it is about your own individual skill. And generally I'm totally okay with that. I'm fine with people showing off their Platinum and Diamond badges on the forums even if they might not have been able to achieve that in solo queue (yes, even Morello). But when it comes to the loading screen, I'm much more concerned about the accuracy of what's being portrayed, because it's natural to read a lot into it in terms of raw player skill. Is it really better for everyone if we have Diamond borders showing up next to Silver borders in normal games? I think it would be confusing ("Why am I matched with these Diamond players if I'm Silver?" or "I don't play ranked, does this mean I'm a Silver player or a Diamond player?&quot and I think it could cause even more elitism than we're already seeing.

Going back to the point about the borders being an experiment. Originally, they were only going to be shown in Ranked games. You all asked for them to be shown in normals as well and after much deliberation I changed it to the current incarnation. Clearly not everyone is happy with that, so I'll keep gathering data and reading what you guys have to say, and make further changes if and when they're warranted.

My current thoughts.

1. Season 2 was "supposedly" set to end on October 23rd and the rewards did not specify that they would be queue specific until a week before the season ended on November 13th. Within a week from Nov. 6 - 13th, none of us knew when the season was ending. We received an update from Volibar stating that the patch is not ready and then we were all left in the dark. Had all of us been informed in the original post like you mentioned in September, I am sure we would have been spent our time accordingly.

2. Won't this benefit the community by rooting out the players that use this as an excuse to belittle others? Players already and have been using 3rd party sites to see our information and/or call us out when we make a bad play regardless. I hope there was not a significant increase due to the boarders but isn't this the reason why the honor system and tribunal was created in the first place? I believe it also has to do with the Pre-Season. Since the placement matches are significantly more crucial, people are more antsy.

People are saying Riot is shunning competitive 5s because of how it was treated in Season 2. There were no incentives except to polish your teamwork, hope good teams queued, obtain a certain rating to qualify for tourneys, or just for fun. Queue times took forever and most teams just played customs to scrim. Popularity increased due to the end of season rewards.

The portrayal of the boarders can be depicted in many ways but with the help from Riot and the community, players can correctly interpret why they are matched up with diamond players being silver themselves. Just a suggestion. I firmly believe that having the ability to display the highest accomplishments across the board will uplift players to set foot towards Season 3 Path to Pro.

It seems what the majority of people are not happy about is the miscommunication. We could only assume how the rewards worked and there was simply not enough time after given more specific details. Just to reiterate, I like the boarders and I generally agree for them to display the highest tier obtained in a specific queue and map.

I want to thank you Yegg for taking the time to reach out to the community and work with us to achieve a common goal. Really appreciate it.

abzilla

11-16-2012

Just add an option to turn them off. The people who enjoy them get to keep em, and the people who feel they're a hinderance can take them off. Bam.

My Blades Bounce

11-16-2012

I told our Yi to use AS runes instead of AD. He then said "Did you see my border? Notice how I'm gold and you're silver, yeah? Shut up."

Imsexyyoureugly

Recruiter

11-16-2012

Quote:
My Blades Bounce:
I told our Yi to use AS runes instead of AD. He then said "Did you see my border? Notice how I'm gold and you're silver, yeah? Shut up."

Toxic player is always toxic, they can lolking you anyways.

Lesbian

11-16-2012

Quote:
Yegg:
Let me first say that the current implementation of the loading screen borders is an experiment, and I'm willing to change how they work if and when I'm convinced that it would be better for the health of the game. What does "health of the game" mean in this case? A couple things:

1. You guys want to show off your accomplishments with your best foot forward. I hear that and it definitely weighs into the decision. Some of you also feel like we didn't give you enough warning on how the borders would work, which is a fair point. We should have locked down how they would work earlier and let you know in the original announcement.

2. I want there to be less toxicity in the game. There are reports of players using the borders as an excuse to belittle other players. The question here is: would those players have been toxic anyway and it's just taking a slightly different form? Or is it creating toxicity where there wouldn't have been any? I'll be looking over the data in the coming days to start to make that distinction.

Some people are saying that this is an example of Riot shunning competitive 5s or indicating that Ranked Teams aren't as important as the Ranked Solo queue. That's simply not the case. I'm one of the biggest advocates for Ranked Teams in the entire company. Since I've been at Riot we've seen huge increases in the popularity of Ranked Teams, and we're only just getting started. The Season 3 Path to Pro (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2755402) that the eSports team put together is a great example of this. Did you know that you can eventually qualify for the Season 3 Championship Series just by making it to the top 32 of the Ranked 5s ladder during the preseason? I don't think a lot of people realize yet just how big of a deal that is. This means you play League of Legends professionally, receive a salary, play in a season with weekly scheduled matches, and compete for millions of dollars.

However, as much as I like Ranked Teams, it's a fact that doing well in those queues is as much about who you know as it is about your own individual skill. And generally I'm totally okay with that. I'm fine with people showing off their Platinum and Diamond badges on the forums even if they might not have been able to achieve that in solo queue (yes, even Morello). But when it comes to the loading screen, I'm much more concerned about the accuracy of what's being portrayed, because it's natural to read a lot into it in terms of raw player skill. Is it really better for everyone if we have Diamond borders showing up next to Silver borders in normal games? I think it would be confusing ("Why am I matched with these Diamond players if I'm Silver?" or "I don't play ranked, does this mean I'm a Silver player or a Diamond player?&quot and I think it could cause even more elitism than we're already seeing.

Going back to the point about the borders being an experiment. Originally, they were only going to be shown in Ranked games. You all asked for them to be shown in normals as well and after much deliberation I changed it to the current incarnation. Clearly not everyone is happy with that, so I'll keep gathering data and reading what you guys have to say, and make further changes if and when they're warranted.

Actually toxic players already being toxic isn't the only thing. It also creates more pressure if you know that your team may possibly have lower quality players (in terms of rating). This may make people play worse because in their mind, the game is "already lost" and they wouldn't try as hard as they normally do.

Arceanaux

11-16-2012

plz riot

Arceanaux

11-16-2012

another bump