Loading Border Should Be Based on Queue

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Captain America

11-15-2012

Easy fix. Drop the stupid borders and make a new border around the summoner names with a diamond, gold, silver backsplash etc.

-America Out

Imsexyyoureugly

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post

2. I want there to be less toxicity in the game. There are reports of players using the borders as an excuse to belittle other players. The question here is: would those players have been toxic anyway and it's just taking a slightly different form? Or is it creating toxicity where there wouldn't have been any? I'll be looking over the data in the coming days to start to make that distinction.

Some people are saying that this is an example of Riot shunning competitive 5s or indicating that Ranked Teams aren't as important as the Ranked Solo queue. That's simply not the case. I'm one of the biggest advocates for Ranked Teams in the entire company. Since I've been at Riot we've seen huge increases in the popularity of Ranked Teams, and we're only just getting started. The Season 3 Path to Pro that the eSports team put together is a great example of this. Did you know that you can eventually qualify for the Season 3 Championship Series just by making it to the top 32 of the Ranked 5s ladder during the preseason? I don't think a lot of people realize yet just how big of a deal that is. This means you play League of Legends professionally, receive a salary, play in a season with weekly scheduled matches, and compete for millions of dollars.

However, as much as I like Ranked Teams, it's a fact that doing well in those queues is as much about who you know as it is about your own individual skill. And generally I'm totally okay with that. I'm fine with people showing off their Platinum and Diamond badges on the forums even if they might not have been able to achieve that in solo queue (yes, even Morello). But when it comes to the loading screen, I'm much more concerned about the accuracy of what's being portrayed, because it's natural to read a lot into it in terms of raw player skill. Is it really better for everyone if we have Diamond borders showing up next to Silver borders in normal games? I think it would be confusing ("Why am I matched with these Diamond players if I'm Silver?" or "I don't play ranked, does this mean I'm a Silver player or a Diamond player?") and I think it could cause even more elitism than we're already seeing.

Going back to the point about the borders being an experiment. Originally, they were only going to be shown in Ranked games. You all asked for them to be shown in normals as well and after much deliberation I changed it to the current incarnation. Clearly not everyone is happy with that, so I'll keep gathering data and reading what you guys have to say, and make further changes if and when they're warranted.
Toxic player is toxic, it's not that the border of diamond will change the way the player plays.

The truth is, YOU are making others to look down on 3s and 5s because they don't have the same reward as solo queue. You fundamentally from the bottom of your heart thinks the solo queue is the standard of raw player skill which is not true and here is why; a player is skillful enough to get diamond had options of finding people to play in 3s or 5s but does it make his skill went down? No! If you thought the 3s or 5s reward is easier to achieve then solo, why didn't you make it harder? Instead of taking the rewards away from certain group who thought they achieve the same tier but left with broken rewards.

If you think rank border creates confusion, you should not reward it in the first place. And what you concern doesn't hold the truth; I have against diamond players multiple times and queue with them by solo queue in normal but rarely pair with silver; however, I am still not rewarded as a real diamond player, why? The only time I will see some no border players is when I queue with low elo friends.

My solo queue for TWO accounts were already plat when original announcement took its place; therefore, I made a diamond team to get diamond in one shot then found out that I won't get the reward after the hard work I did for 1 month and was only 1 week before season ends. This is not right. You made people make the wrong choice of playing other queues but also makes people thinking the solo queue is the standard of the "raw" skill by giving it more reward than other queues.

Sarai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

I completely disagree. I think the border should show for the queue you made it in. There is a large difference between queues. Someone who is a platinum 3s player may well not be a platinum 5s player. Someone who can work well with friends and be a diamond team 5s player may not have what it takes to do so in a solo queue environment.

Taial

11-15-2012

I'm happy my silver border shows up in intermediate bot games it matches my silver Kayle skin

Brand of pain

11-15-2012

Because you had a TEAM perhaps? If I had a team of 2+ People with me in "SOLO QUE" Then sure, it'd be just, but unfortunately you can't pick your team mates in solo que.

WagBoss

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Customs and normals that are pre-made 5s really need to show your Rank 5v5 border.

Shingro

11-15-2012

I love the borders, it makes me feel really secure as a support when I know my adc ally has some chops. and it lets me know if I need to keep an extra close shielding eye on that person if they don't have one. It's also made me play a bunch more solo ranked because I'd love to have a better one next season =)

civ

11-15-2012

posted in the wrong thread, disregard this post =/

Smite God

11-15-2012

i agree

Saysay

11-15-2012

I made a post about this yesterday.

I was harassed as soon as our match began by my entire team for not having a border. I had chosen Graves as our third pick and our last pick, when we needed a support chose Katarina. No biggie I suppose, but once in lane Kat was cs'ing right along with me and I didn't say anything, HOWEVER, 2-3 people on my team started asking me if I knew how to CS etc. Nobody even cared that Kat had 50% of my CS because she had a border and I didn't. Would they ALL have made comments otherwise? No, maybe 1 or 2 nasty people a game but not 3-4, just because of a border. I am sitting at 12-5 atm this (pre)season and the more I win the more I realize I am almost always going to be the only one without a border. At the start of almost every game I come under some sort of scrutiny because of my picks after my teammates see I am borderless, although it isn't always nasty. Like when I pick Zilean as a support or Yi as my jungler. Those are champions I am comfortable with.

Yesterday I flat carried 2 gold borders and 2 silver borders with my jungle Yi. Felt good! That being said, the borders need to go.. I don't want to go up to any higher elo without a border. My suggestion would be to either
1) get rid of borders completely
2) show border of highest elo achieved (updating for this season also)
3) lower my elo to 900 so I don't have to deal with this

edit: These seasons last for one year. If I manage to shoot up even higher or just float around my current rating then this is what I get to look forward to all season.