Loading Border Should Be Based on Queue

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TOP10 ELO

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
Let me first say that the current implementation of the loading screen borders is an experiment, and I'm willing to change how they work if and when I'm convinced that it would be better for the health of the game. What does "health of the game" mean in this case? A couple things:

1. You guys want to show off your accomplishments with your best foot forward. I hear that and it definitely weighs into the decision. Some of you also feel like we didn't give you enough warning on how the borders would work, which is a fair point. We should have locked down how they would work earlier and let you know in the original announcement.

2. I want there to be less toxicity in the game. There are reports of players using the borders as an excuse to belittle other players. The question here is: would those players have been toxic anyway and it's just taking a slightly different form? Or is it creating toxicity where there wouldn't have been any? I'll be looking over the data in the coming days to start to make that distinction.

Some people are saying that this is an example of Riot shunning competitive 5s or indicating that Ranked Teams aren't as important as the Ranked Solo queue. That's simply not the case. I'm one of the biggest advocates for Ranked Teams in the entire company. Since I've been at Riot we've seen huge increases in the popularity of Ranked Teams, and we're only just getting started. The Season 3 Path to Pro that the eSports team put together is a great example of this. Did you know that you can eventually qualify for the Season 3 Championship Series just by making it to the top 32 of the Ranked 5s ladder during the preseason? I don't think a lot of people realize yet just how big of a deal that is. This means you play League of Legends professionally, receive a salary, play in a season with weekly scheduled matches, and compete for millions of dollars.

However, as much as I like Ranked Teams, it's a fact that doing well in those queues is as much about who you know as it is about your own individual skill. And generally I'm totally okay with that. I'm fine with people showing off their Platinum and Diamond badges on the forums even if they might not have been able to achieve that in solo queue (yes, even Morello). But when it comes to the loading screen, I'm much more concerned about the accuracy of what's being portrayed, because it's natural to read a lot into it in terms of raw player skill. Is it really better for everyone if we have Diamond borders showing up next to Silver borders in normal games? I think it would be confusing ("Why am I matched with these Diamond players if I'm Silver?" or "I don't play ranked, does this mean I'm a Silver player or a Diamond player?") and I think it could cause even more elitism than we're already seeing.

Going back to the point about the borders being an experiment. Originally, they were only going to be shown in Ranked games. You all asked for them to be shown in normals as well and after much deliberation I changed it to the current incarnation. Clearly not everyone is happy with that, so I'll keep gathering data and reading what you guys have to say, and make further changes if and when they're warranted.
hey enough horsecrap, the 5v5 soloQ borders, are going into the 3v3 normals fix it, or everyone gets the borders or none can't, i'm fukin serious, just because u are good on soloQ does it means u have to get a x border on 3v3? And the ones who get plat on 3v3 get **** and those 5v5 noobs gets better borders there

CTkiller

11-15-2012

I think Yegg is doing this right

Not letting people show their 3v3 borders in Normals or solo

Cauldrath

11-15-2012

Just shut them off in Dominion. I think we've seen enough high-level SR teams get stomped by mid-level Dominion teams to show that SR doesn't teach you how to play Dominion.

TheOneMillion

11-15-2012

Quote:
2. I want there to be less toxicity in the game. There are reports of players using the borders as an excuse to belittle other players. The question here is: would those players have been toxic anyway and it's just taking a slightly different form? Or is it creating toxicity where there wouldn't have been any? I'll be looking over the data in the coming days to start to make that distinction.
They may have been toxic anyway, however, allowing people to see that information BEFORE the game is over is just begging for people to call others out or giving them a scapegoat to bash on that person when the team is losing, because their "Skill Level" is displayed to the whole team. At least remove it from normals. It servers no place in an enviornment that is for "casual" play.

Even better would be to not show borders until AFTER the game, though that may be hard to implement since all the artwork is already created.

Michael Stronk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

agreed, normal 3v3s should show ranked 3s, normal 5s should depend maybe on the size of your team asuming you have a rating in teams 5s

Curryiscold

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

24 wins in a row to go from 1200-1700?
it takes like 10 wins in a row to get from 1200-1700...

Para

11-15-2012

I think solo queue taking precedence over all the other queues is important because yes, being able to work together in an organized team is great say 3v3 and in 5v5 ranked teams but being a player who has the skill to adapt to any situation and play any role under the solo queue environment is an invaluable skill that trumps all others that is solo queue.

Michael Stronk

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGnSTRONG4 View Post
I didn't want to read through the fourteen pages of posts to see if it was here, but has anyone suggested the border upgrading if you manage to reach the next tier during the current season? If you hit 1500 at any point during this season you would immediately be granted a gold border which is what we are all working towards anyways (cooler borders, that is) and then people wouldn't know when you earned it.
this

edit but then there should be border demoting

CarlSagansCosmos

11-15-2012

Since You say you're reading I would like to say that it has some effect on my game play, no harassment needed.

It's tough to jump into a game and see your opponent has a gold and you have nothing/typical boarder, they now have a psychological advantage over you before the game even starts.

SNSD Tiffanyx

11-15-2012

Quote:
Let me first say that the current implementation of the loading screen borders is an experiment, and I'm willing to change how they work if and when I'm convinced that it would be better for the health of the game. What does "health of the game" mean in this case? A couple things:

1. You guys want to show off your accomplishments with your best foot forward. I hear that and it definitely weighs into the decision. Some of you also feel like we didn't give you enough warning on how the borders would work, which is a fair point. We should have locked down how they would work earlier and let you know in the original announcement.

Some people are saying that this is an example of Riot shunning competitive 5s or indicating that Ranked Teams aren't as important as the Ranked Solo queue. That's simply not the case. I'm one of the biggest advocates for Ranked Teams in the entire company. Since I've been at Riot we've seen huge increases in the popularity of Ranked Teams, and we're only just getting started. The Season 3 Path to Pro that the eSports team put together is a great example of this. Did you know that you can eventually qualify for the Season 3 Championship Series just by making it to the top 32 of the Ranked 5s ladder during the preseason? I don't think a lot of people realize yet just how big of a deal that is. This means you play League of Legends professionally, receive a salary, play in a season with weekly scheduled matches, and compete for millions of dollars.

However, as much as I like Ranked Teams, it's a fact that doing well in those queues is as much about who you know as it is about your own individual skill. And generally I'm totally okay with that. I'm fine with people showing off their Platinum and Diamond badges on the forums even if they might not have been able to achieve that in solo queue (yes, even Morello). But when it comes to the loading screen, I'm much more concerned about the accuracy of what's being portrayed, because it's natural to read a lot into it in terms of raw player skill. Is it really better for everyone if we have Diamond borders showing up next to Silver borders in normal games? I think it would be confusing ("Why am I matched with these Diamond players if I'm Silver?" or "I don't play ranked, does this mean I'm a Silver player or a Diamond player?") and I think it could cause even more elitism than we're already seeing.

Going back to the point about the borders being an experiment. Originally, they were only going to be shown in Ranked games. You all asked for them to be shown in normals as well and after much deliberation I changed it to the current incarnation. Clearly not everyone is happy with that, so I'll keep gathering data and reading what you guys have to say, and make further changes if and when they're warranted.

There should be bronze borders as well..........

oh wait.......