Loading Border Should Be Based on Queue

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ELOGAHMAS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkhon View Post
That reward however, shouldn't make you "better" than anyone else. Lets say I have my silver border, and I get paired with 4 Bronze borders (pretty sure there might be one Bronze player NA). Does that mean I am "better" than them? No, it could mean a ton of different things, like, I played 10 ranked games, didn't go 0-10 so I get a silver border. What about those who were gold at one point during the season, but then they dropped due to ELO decay or something, and then the rewards came out and they just couldn't find time to play ranked. Does your gold border make you "better" than them? What about if you have your Gold border and you go 0-5 in your lane, but I have a silver and I go 5-0? Did you carry me?

I honestly, don't think that the borders should be shown. This is because when you have your border and you go into games, people are instantly going to judge your playskill based on your border. It's the NATURAL thing to do. When I go into a game with someone who has a lower border than me, I am going to assume they are pretty bad. If they have a better border than me, then I'm going to expect them to be able to carry pretty hard. It's natural. The borders just give people a reason to flame. They might not have had one before...
Never said "better." But if we all followed your logic then champions in Boxing or other sports should not come out to the ring with their belts. When watching College football teams they shouldnt show where they rank.

Some people do what it takes and or have the ability to do more than others and deserve the rewards and praise for it. I personally dont have the time, and probably not the skill to be diamond. So I respect those that do and praise them for earning it. They should show it and be proud.

Mass

11-15-2012

Maybe if you use the icon it shows the banner also?

Seringol

11-15-2012

I would like S2 forum icons down to silver as well.

Albireo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Quote:
You all asked for them to be shown in normals as well and after much deliberation I changed it to the current incarnation. Clearly not everyone is happy with that, so I'll keep gathering data and reading what you guys have to say, and make further changes if and when they're warranted.
It's the same as Shadow isle skins, is just selfish people who want to show off at cost of the community.

Just get it out of normals, normals should be out of all context from ranked play. Their have their own win ratio, own hidden elo, a supposed more relaxed play. There is no need to be a reminder that solo q exist at all.

Really the icon border was better because it was just to your friends, not for random people in internet to think they know how you play (based in solo q) before the match even start.

Tera Sticks

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
Let me first say that the current implementation of the loading screen borders is an experiment, and I'm willing to change how they work if and when I'm convinced that it would be better for the health of the game. What does "health of the game" mean in this case? A couple things:

1. You guys want to show off your accomplishments with your best foot forward. I hear that and it definitely weighs into the decision. Some of you also feel like we didn't give you enough warning on how the borders would work, which is a fair point. We should have locked down how they would work earlier and let you know in the original announcement.

2. I want there to be less toxicity in the game. There are reports of players using the borders as an excuse to belittle other players. The question here is: would those players have been toxic anyway and it's just taking a slightly different form? Or is it creating toxicity where there wouldn't have been any? I'll be looking over the data in the coming days to start to make that distinction.

Some people are saying that this is an example of Riot shunning competitive 5s or indicating that Ranked Teams aren't as important as the Ranked Solo queue. That's simply not the case. I'm one of the biggest advocates for Ranked Teams in the entire company. Since I've been at Riot we've seen huge increases in the popularity of Ranked Teams, and we're only just getting started. The Season 3 Path to Pro that the eSports team put together is a great example of this. Did you know that you can eventually qualify for the Season 3 Championship Series just by making it to the top 32 of the Ranked 5s ladder during the preseason? I don't think a lot of people realize yet just how big of a deal that is. This means you play League of Legends professionally, receive a salary, play in a season with weekly scheduled matches, and compete for millions of dollars.

However, as much as I like Ranked Teams, it's a fact that doing well in those queues is as much about who you know as it is about your own individual skill. And generally I'm totally okay with that. I'm fine with people showing off their Platinum and Diamond badges on the forums even if they might not have been able to achieve that in solo queue (yes, even Morello). But when it comes to the loading screen, I'm much more concerned about the accuracy of what's being portrayed, because it's natural to read a lot into it in terms of raw player skill. Is it really better for everyone if we have Diamond borders showing up next to Silver borders in normal games? I think it would be confusing ("Why am I matched with these Diamond players if I'm Silver?" or "I don't play ranked, does this mean I'm a Silver player or a Diamond player?") and I think it could cause even more elitism than we're already seeing.

Going back to the point about the borders being an experiment. Originally, they were only going to be shown in Ranked games. You all asked for them to be shown in normals as well and after much deliberation I changed it to the current incarnation. Clearly not everyone is happy with that, so I'll keep gathering data and reading what you guys have to say, and make further changes if and when they're warranted.
The current implementation was made for the right reasons. I support you, Yegg. People will continue to complain no matter how it works. I wouldn't recommend changing anything based on forum posts. You have a much larger customer base out there to think about.

pmd

11-15-2012

3v3 ranked should at least be represented in 3v3 solo/blind pick. People are more likely to listen to you due to the banner, and it would be nice if I had a better shot at leading my team to victory ^.^

IrrationalNoob

11-15-2012

Quote:
Let me first say that the current implementation of the loading screen borders is an experiment, and I'm willing to change how they work if and when I'm convinced that it would be better for the health of the game. What does "health of the game" mean in this case? A couple things:

1. You guys want to show off your accomplishments with your best foot forward. I hear that and it definitely weighs into the decision. Some of you also feel like we didn't give you enough warning on how the borders would work, which is a fair point. We should have locked down how they would work earlier and let you know in the original announcement.

2. I want there to be less toxicity in the game. There are reports of players using the borders as an excuse to belittle other players. The question here is: would those players have been toxic anyway and it's just taking a slightly different form? Or is it creating toxicity where there wouldn't have been any? I'll be looking over the data in the coming days to start to make that distinction.

Some people are saying that this is an example of Riot shunning competitive 5s or indicating that Ranked Teams aren't as important as the Ranked Solo queue. That's simply not the case. I'm one of the biggest advocates for Ranked Teams in the entire company. Since I've been at Riot we've seen huge increases in the popularity of Ranked Teams, and we're only just getting started. The Season 3 Path to Pro that the eSports team put together is a great example of this. Did you know that you can eventually qualify for the Season 3 Championship Series just by making it to the top 32 of the Ranked 5s ladder during the preseason? I don't think a lot of people realize yet just how big of a deal that is. This means you play League of Legends professionally, receive a salary, play in a season with weekly scheduled matches, and compete for millions of dollars.

However, as much as I like Ranked Teams, it's a fact that doing well in those queues is as much about who you know as it is about your own individual skill. And generally I'm totally okay with that. I'm fine with people showing off their Platinum and Diamond badges on the forums even if they might not have been able to achieve that in solo queue (yes, even Morello). But when it comes to the loading screen, I'm much more concerned about the accuracy of what's being portrayed, because it's natural to read a lot into it in terms of raw player skill. Is it really better for everyone if we have Diamond borders showing up next to Silver borders in normal games? I think it would be confusing ("Why am I matched with these Diamond players if I'm Silver?" or "I don't play ranked, does this mean I'm a Silver player or a Diamond player?") and I think it could cause even more elitism than we're already seeing.

Going back to the point about the borders being an experiment. Originally, they were only going to be shown in Ranked games. You all asked for them to be shown in normals as well and after much deliberation I changed it to the current incarnation. Clearly not everyone is happy with that, so I'll keep gathering data and reading what you guys have to say, and make further changes if and when they're warranted.

In regards to the toxicity....what is any different about them going to a 3rd party site to lookup their match history and they see no karthus games on the player that picked karthus and dodging?

We can all agree that match history and even elo do not always relate to performance during a game because even a gold player can beat a plat player, occasionally.

Additionally I think this type of hate will slow down in several weeks. I mean in a queue with 3 golds, 1 plat and one bronze all in ranked solo queue together means the plat is on a downswing and the bronze is on an upswing. I would rather take advice from the bronze player in all honesty.

I think in non group queue normals they can kind of be detrimental because normal is not suppossed to care about your rating. Kinda defeats the purpose. Then again, LoLKing does this far worse. Dunno.

Also please do not remove them. They were part of the advertised reward for season rewards and while there was a lot of things that were not clear about them, there would be a large backlash for straight removal.

h0peless

11-15-2012

3v3 matters. lol

LONGnSTRONG4

11-15-2012

I didn't want to read through the fourteen pages of posts to see if it was here, but has anyone suggested the border upgrading if you manage to reach the next tier during the current season? If you hit 1500 at any point during this season you would immediately be granted a gold border which is what we are all working towards anyways (cooler borders, that is) and then people wouldn't know when you earned it.

TOP10 ELO

11-15-2012

Quote:

hey enough horsecrap, the 5v5 soloQ borders, are going into the 3v3 normals fix it, or everyone gets the borders or none can't, i'm fukin serious, just because u are good on soloQ does it means u have to get a x border on 3v3? And the ones who get plat on 3v3 get **** and those 5v5 noobs gets better borders there