Loading Border Should Be Based on Queue

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Multi

11-15-2012

I would prefer an option to turn it on or off. I only got silver since I didn't play after my ELO decayed to 1400 after the S2 reward announcements, but I was gold before. Even if I was Gold, or Plat, I'd still prefer to have it turned off just because I don't want my teammates to have any preconceived notions on how I might perform, good or bad.

I think almost everyone subconsciously makes an assumption about a player based on their ELO, even before this border thing. It's kinda like the whole stonewall thing a while back, since he only played normals before.

Agam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-15-2012

@Yegg

I think the borders should be removed. Not only is it bringingup harrassment as you can read in earlier post or other threads, but how do people that play normals feel when they see 3 gold members on the opposing team and they have none? I'm silver myself and I feel bad for the opposing team when I see another silver and a gold on my team and they have none. When the opposing team loses, I just feel bad because it wasn't a fair match-up.

carpeamentum

11-15-2012

Hmm... Sell alternate border "skins" for some small amount of RP, allow you to set your loading border somewhere.

Thinking Holiday lights border, frosty border, fire border, ivy border, onyx (textured) border...

Dreampod

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionstormn View Post
I think removing borders would destroy the value of the rewards in season 2. The border is the only thing that separates solo queue from the other other queues. Without it, the reward value associated with solo queue specifically would be undermined. I think if anything there should be more chances to show borders, even add a way to see enemy borders at the end of the game. If you take away the value, it is meaningless.
I agree but I think that is a good thing. Why should solo queue get more visible rewards than 5's and 3's when the TEAM game is what LoL is really about. Solo queue is a masturbatory ragefest that many of us avoid on purpose.

Multi

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agam View Post
@Yegg

I think the borders should be removed. Not only is it bringingup harrassment as you can read in earlier post or other threads, but how do people that play normals feel when they see 3 gold members on the opposing team and they have none? I'm silver myself and I feel bad for the opposing team when I see another silver and a gold on my team and they have none. When the opposing team loses, I just feel bad because it wasn't a fair match-up.
You can't see the enemy borders.

carpeamentum

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agam View Post
@Yegg

Pretty sure the opposing team does not get to see your borders at all.

ZeroKuno

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
2. I want there to be less toxicity in the game. There are reports of players using the borders as an excuse to belittle other players. The question here is: would those players have been toxic anyway and it's just taking a slightly different form? Or is it creating toxicity where there wouldn't have been any? I'll be looking over the data in the coming days to start to make that distinction.
I think that is something I noticed why you guys were doing the borders the way they were.
I like the borders on it and it looks cool. I actually like the Plat border more than Diamond so I am totally happy with it.

Alumenlux

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
I'll keep gathering data and reading what you guys have to say, and make further changes if and when they're warranted.
The general consensus is this:

- There should be an option to turn off the borders. Silver players don't want it there and higher players don't want to be expected to perform. (Possibly have an ability to distinguish between those who are borderless and those with turned off borders)

- 3v3 players want their 3v3 borders in 3v3 normals, and people want their the highest out of solo q/ranked 5s borders to show up in normals.

Seems pretty reasonable.

Agam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Remind View Post
The solution is simple. Make borders an accurate representation of someone's skill. As soon as someone hits a new tier give them a border. If someone is actually good, their border won't misrepresent them.

Also allow opponents to see borders. Then matchmaking is transparent so teammates can't just blame weaker teammates since everyone would see that the teams are balanced.
I like this idea. You can give banners and icons for how people did last year, but give borders based on the highest tier a player has reached in the current season.

Agam

Recruiter

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplatinum View Post
You can't see the enemy borders.
Then there must be a glitch on my account because I remember playing a game with me and another silver on my team versus 2 silvers on the enemy team.