Anyone get Dragon Tamer Lulu?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StopTryingKid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Was about to buy it till I saw the skin price.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fisherman Fizz

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Well I only have 1.1k RP on me so because of that higher price I can't. =/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Diddy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-14-2012

From what I've seen, only a few people on here think it's worth it, and others argue that it's overpriced compared to the quality of the khazix skin that is the same price. Arcade Sona and Blackthorn Morg are 975 RP and they seem just as good if not better.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-14-2012
4 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Gummy View Post
Sorry if I made that unclear. The phrase "Ripped off" is perhaps carrying itself more strongly than I had hoped. The nature of the message was slightly whimsical, but the point remains.

I don't feel bad about my purchase. I would buy it again in fact.

I do not think the sum of its parts are worth the price it is listed at, but because I subjectively appreciate these parts so much myself I allowed myself to indulge.

Perhaps I am mistaken, maybe as I continue to play with it I will notice the subtle nuances that make you at Riot feel the skin is worth it's current price point, but at the moment I feel as I have paid 1350 for what is a 975 skin.

Once again, I'm not angry with Riot. I wouldn't like to see 1350 suddenly become the new price point (As was mentioned) but if that were to happen I would simply stop buying skins. Sorry for our misunderstanding.
No problem - thanks. I just want to understand the sentiment better and I think I do now.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vince

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
No problem - thanks. I just want to understand the sentiment better and I think I do now.
Hi Morello. I bought it.

hue


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nzo

Senior Member

11-14-2012

6300 IP all over again...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enerith

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiyeruda View Post
No. That's what the initial outburst was.

The problem is that 1350 RP pricing was assumed to be something akin to "pseudo-legendary." Dragon Trainer Lulu by herself is barely 975 RP quality and dragon Pix does not make up the 375 RP difference, given how unpolished the skin feels.

I assume it's not incorrect to assume that a 1350 RP skin has most of the following qualities:
- New model
- Some new sound effects
- Some new animations
- New spell/particle effects
- Possibly new voice
- Some new lines
- Likely limited to champions with multiple models/transformations (Nidalee, Kha'zix, etc.)

Kha'zix had all of these. Dragon Trainer Lulu has:
- New model
- Subtle new particle effects
- New dragon pix with animations

New model is a 975 RP quality. New spell/particle effects are a 975 RP quality. I honestly do not believe that Dragon Pix is worth the extra 375 RP. If you made it 1350 RP quality (eg. give Pix a voice, make Whimsy more noticeable on allies, give Lulu a few newer lines, possibly in relation to dragons, etc.), the skin would feel more satisfying.


This is just flat out wrong...the skin has

-New Model
-New Pix Model
-New Pix Animations
-New(awesome and certainly not subtle) particles
-New model on enemy cast whismy (Models are a lot of work)

This makes it more work than a normal 975 skin, but not as much as the current standard for 1820. I am super confused the the huge outrage this community has had towards the pricing of this skin, what's wrong with a new tier of pricing? It's the same as it always has been before, if you don't want to pay that much, then buy a cheaper skin, or none at all. I, personally am not going to buy this skin, because I don't have a lot of extra cash at the moment, but I certainly don't begrudge Riot for pricing it the way they did. You people just don't seem to understand that skins such as this require significantly more work than others, more work=more paid man-hours=Riot has to price the skin at a higher tier to maintain an acceptable profitability margin.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wurmtoken

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Alright - this is helpful. Basically, your thought is that a long-standing silence has made this a sore issue, and that sore issue leads to the feeling of unfair pricing on objects if that price is unexpected or higher. In this case, it would be less related to Dragon Tamer Lulu, and more with our historical messaging about pricing?

I know Hippalus has talked about a lot of these issues, maybe just not this specific one. I don't understand pricing details much myself, but I can see if I can get him to come talk about this one.

Additionally, I know there's some people saying "this isn't worth that price" - I understand that feedback. What I didn't understand was "it's worth it, but I feel ripped off."
For some its a matter of "champion loyalty." When someone becomes a big fan of a champion buying the skin isn't so much a "good price for skin I like" thing as much as it is a "must buy/use skin to show champ loyalty" thing. They feel like buying the skin wasn't really a choice so if they don't deem the price was worth the product they see the price as inflated to take advantage of their collector urge. It's not entirely logical but emotions rarely are.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chazxz

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Alright - this is helpful. Basically, your thought is that a long-standing silence has made this a sore issue, and that sore issue leads to the feeling of unfair pricing on objects if that price is unexpected or higher. In this case, it would be less related to Dragon Tamer Lulu, and more with our historical messaging about pricing?

I know Hippalus has talked about a lot of these issues, maybe just not this specific one. I don't understand pricing details much myself, but I can see if I can get him to come talk about this one.

Additionally, I know there's some people saying "this isn't worth that price" - I understand that feedback. What I didn't understand was "it's worth it, but I feel ripped off."
There is a pattern in the pricing system. Way back when not every champ was released at 6300, only a few were given such a steep price. The reason given for this was a higher quality in champion design. The issue so many people have with this new skin thing is champions started being released at 6300 frequently and people were worried it was going to become the only release price after a while, so to cool things off riot released a couple of 4800 champs, then they moved up to only releasing 6300's forever and always. I recall a few reds talking about how the higher pricing point would only be for very high quality and entertaining champions, that notion quickly died. After some outcry from the forums riot started reducing old champion prices, this calmed everybody down long enough for them to mildly forget about it. When people stopped complaining riot stopped reducing. Then people started complaining again, since then we've had about 2 price reductions, and I'm fairly certain one of them was an rp only reduction. What worries me is Riot will start releasing higher quality skins frequently and eventually every skin will reach the 1350 skin price because they're all just so much better. Riot might reduce some prices to ease the pain. But that won't last, eventually a majority of skins will be 1350. I for one won't be purchasing any more rp if I start to see this kind of thing happen to skins, but that's just me I don't speak for every player.

TLDR: Riot has a pattern of easing players into paying more for things while trying to lower the outcry by "reducing" old prices, for a little while at least.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amiithystine

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzo View Post
6300 IP all over again...

I disagree. I've found that since the champions being released since the standardization of the 6300 Price point have all been very mechanically worth the 6300IP price point. Not the features on Zed right now. He is very much 6300 champion, and I have no issues spending that quantity of points.

The specific issue here with DTLL is that many feel her mechanics are not 1350 RP worthy, and this trend is not something they want to see.