Upgrading Graphic Card

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tales of Tony

11-13-2012

Question: If i upgrade my graphic card will my motherboard crash if those two doesn't work?
Question: How to check for a graphic card that works with my motherboard?

system details:
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
NVIDIA nForce 10/100 MBps Ethernet
AMD Athlon (tm) 7550 Dual-Core processor (2)

ShadowDark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

You should be more concerned about how much wattage a new GPU would require, and how much your current power supply provides. Insufficient power is much more likely than an incompatible card.

TheFieldMarshal

11-14-2012

If you JUST play league of leends, i'd recommend a cheaper DDR3 card because your setup is ancident that uses DDR2 ram and the architechture of the athlon 7xxx series is very old compared to todays dual core. I'd recommend something like an HD 6450 1GB DDR3 128 bit, it's a low powered card and cheap.

If you wanna play other games you need an entirely new PC.

Casus125

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieldMarshal View Post
If you JUST play league of leends, i'd recommend a cheaper DDR3 card because your setup is ancident that uses DDR2 ram and the architechture of the athlon 7xxx series is very old compared to todays dual core. I'd recommend something like an HD 6450 1GB DDR3 128 bit, it's a low powered card and cheap.

QFT'd

Tales of Tony

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieldMarshal View Post

I've played since season 1 and i only really experienced fps drop ever since Riot changed to the new faster pace motion. I used to play up to 50 fps but after the change i play from around 5 fps in team fights to 30 fps in just laning.
Could you post up a link if the card?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...odTypeId=12454 is a descriptive full data of my computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDark View Post
You should be more concerned about how much wattage a new GPU would require, and how much your current power supply provides. Insufficient power is much more likely than an incompatible card.
Could you describe current power supply?

TheFieldMarshal

11-14-2012

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130808

This card should be sufficient. It's max TDP is 65w's and your CPU I believe is 95w's. Which means a total system power of around 180-195 on a 250w PSU you should be fine. It's actually a GDDR5 card. The other cards I was looking at(610/520HD 5450/6450) were all 64 bit cards

roswends

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Just a thought to look out for. Motherboards will generally say "1x 16x PCI Express Slot."
However graphic cards nowadays use generally pci 2.0/2.1/3.0 Express Slots, so make sure both are the same for what you are getting.

Tales of Tony

11-22-2012

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814129268

Would this be compatible?

Falleth

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by roswends View Post
Just a thought to look out for. Motherboards will generally say "1x 16x PCI Express Slot."
However graphic cards nowadays use generally pci 2.0/2.1/3.0 Express Slots, so make sure both are the same for what you are getting.
Actually you can use pcie 1 slot even for new cards - it will bottleneck them, sure, along with the CPU, but it will work.

How do I know? I'm using HD7850 with 6 years old PC.

TheFieldMarshal

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshiKill3r View Post
Extremely overpriced and requires too much power. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161427

This card is a STEAL, 60 bucks and it's low powered and performs above the HD 5770(slightly).

EDIT: It's also more powerful than the other one I linked.