You cant be serious about this ban

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Argotto

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeCookie View Post
Don't be a jerk.

Players frequently write to my team full of excuses for their case, or fearful that they're going to get banned in the future.

They often want to debate the Summoner's Code down point by point.

Is it okay to do this? What about that? What if someone else does X, and I do Y to them in retaliation? Can I get banned for Z?

And our response can always be summed up with one simple phrase:

Don't be a jerk

Sometimes player's ask why isn't the Summoner's Code more specific? Why doesn't it specify each and every action I can or can't do? But they don't notice that we wrote the Code that way on purpose.

We don't want to run a game dictated by strict specific rules. Because every game is unique, and played by different standards.

How much fun would a rule be that says you can never say the F word in your matches?

How much fun would a rule be that says last pick must always be support?

How much fun would a rule say that you can never be Rammus support because he's not considered "optimal" by the community?

Every game should be judged by its own context. And that's why the core rule is always:

Don't be a jerk.

You can say the F word in a friendly context:

You can also say it in a very toxic context:

---The key difference? Don't be a jerk

Sometimes it makes sense for last pick to be something besides support:

Sometimes the situation can be very toxic:

Sometimes it makes sense to go with a real unusual support pick:

Sometimes an unusual pick can be really toxic:

I've seen this case emote spamming case before. And he fails the test. He was being a jerk.

You can see in his matches that other players ask him to stop. They even do so nicely at some points. But this player doesn't care. He doesn't care because he's being a jerk.

Is he using a feature of our game which has many legitimate purposes? Of course!

But is he abusing this legitimate feature to be a jerk? Yes. He is literally spamming the same phrase throughout the entire duration of the game.

Could other players fiddle with their sound settings to disable this? Sure.

Should we expect other players to adjust their player experience because a jerk is harassing them?

No. Never.

I even spent some extra time looking up this player's past harassment history. This is not an isolated 5 games this player has done this. He has repeatedly found ways to annoy and harass other players. That's the main reason he has a tribunal case in the first place.

Lyte has mentioned this in the past, but the Tribunal is really great at finding jerks in our game. But it's not always great at providing the full context of just how much of a jerk they are. But always keep in mind it takes many reports, in many games, by many people to even be considered for the Tribunal. The system may only pull 1 to 5 chat logs for a case, but make no doubt about it, the accused has been reported in many many more games than that.

The process is always being iterated on and improved though. And if the PB&J Team sees a need for the additional context to be shown, I'm confident in their abilities to make that happen.
Very well said. quoting whole post so people read it again. It really is that simple. Don't be a jerk, and you wont have problems.

Spamming your taunt the entire match when you know everyone, including your own team wants you to stop, is pathetic.

SweatyWolverine

02-16-2013

Quote:
Don't be a jerk.

Players frequently write to my team full of excuses for their case, or fearful that they're going to get banned in the future.

They often want to debate the Summoner's Code down point by point.

Is it okay to do this? What about that? What if someone else does X, and I do Y to them in retaliation? Can I get banned for Z?

And our response can always be summed up with one simple phrase:

Don't be a jerk

Sometimes player's ask why isn't the Summoner's Code more specific? Why doesn't it specify each and every action I can or can't do? But they don't notice that we wrote the Code that way on purpose.

We don't want to run a game dictated by strict specific rules. Because every game is unique, and played by different standards.

How much fun would a rule be that says you can never say the F word in your matches?

How much fun would a rule be that says last pick must always be support?

How much fun would a rule say that you can never be Rammus support because he's not considered "optimal" by the community?

Every game should be judged by its own context. And that's why the core rule is always:

Don't be a jerk.

You can say the F word in a friendly context:

You can also say it in a very toxic context:

Sometimes it makes sense for last pick to be something besides support:

Sometimes the situation can be very toxic:

Sometimes it makes sense to go with a real unusual support pick:

Sometimes an unusual pick can be really toxic:

I've seen this case emote spamming case before. And he fails the test. He was being a jerk.

You can see in his matches that other players ask him to stop. They even do so nicely at some points. But this player doesn't care. He doesn't care because he's being a jerk.

Is he using a feature of our game which has many legitimate purposes? Of course!

But is he abusing this legitimate feature to be a jerk? Yes. He is literally spamming the same phrase throughout the entire duration of the game.

Could other players fiddle with their sound settings to disable this? Sure.

Should we expect other players to adjust their player experience because a jerk is harassing them?

No. Never.

I even spent some extra time looking up this player's past harassment history. This is not an isolated 5 games this player has done this. He has repeatedly found ways to annoy and harass other players. That's the main reason he has a tribunal case in the first place.

Lyte has mentioned this in the past, but the Tribunal is really great at finding jerks in our game. But it's not always great at providing the full context of just how much of a jerk they are. But always keep in mind it takes many reports, in many games, by many people to even be considered for the Tribunal. The system may only pull 1 to 5 chat logs for a case, but make no doubt about it, the accused has been reported in many many more games than that.

The process is always being iterated on and improved though. And if the PB&J Team sees a need for the additional context to be shown, I'm confident in their abilities to make that happen.
So your decision for banning people in this game is a completely 100% subjective term you refer to as "being a jerk".

Well I think you "are being a jerk" by posting something as blatantly retarded as this post, as well as every post you have ever made. I honestly feel my IQ drop with each one that I read. It is honestly no surprise to me that the tribunal is still in place when it has people like you operating the wheel. Phreak as well as other riot employee players who actually play the game competitively have agreed that the tribunal is flawed and was a horrible idea.

Daemoj

02-16-2013

You guys are morons. Tribunal is broken. Move along. Get rid of it.

Experience Death

02-16-2013

Quote:
Let's be clear here. He didn't get a ban for simply "spamming emotes". He got banned for intentionally harassing and annoying his team mates over the course of many many games.

Abusing the emote feature is simply the way he chose to do this. That's the core of my post. Don't be a jerk.

You yourself admit to using the taunt emote in your games, especially as Singed. Yet you have never been banned by the Tribunal. In fact, you are no where near being close to being banned by the Tribunal.

What makes your case, and the case of a toxic player so different? You're less concerned with making other players mad. That's not your goal. You like to play League of Legends, and you like to win, sometimes you like the occasional laugh.

You are not a jerk.

A toxic player on the other hand likes to see people get mad. He does things to get a reaction out of them. He feeds off of their displeasure and it fuels him to do it even more.

He is a jerk.

Would a player get permanently banned by the Tribunal for such an offense?

Well it depends. Did they get a Warning?

Did they refuse to change after the Warning and then get a 3 Day Suspension?

Did they refuse to change after the 3 Day Suspension and then get a 7 Day Suspension?

Did they refuse to change after the 7 Day Suspension and then get a 14 Day Suspension?

If they did all that and refused to change. Then yes. They could get perma-banned.

You're right, that is the floodgates, and it's not really what I'm here to do and it's not what this thread is going to devolve into, so I'm not going to make a habit of doing it. With that said you share a similar percentage:. .03% of the games you've played have reports in them.

Often players say " i will report you" and then they never do. Take your story for example, you are in no way shape or form close to a Tribunal case. In fact, you've actually only been reported in .08% of the games you've played.

This is hardly the kind of consistent toxic behavior I see from players who end up in the Tribunal.

Breathe easy friend and if someone gets mad at you for a bad game, ignore them.

They're just being a jerk anyways.
Apparently Wookie can decide the intentions of players ingame and whether or not they are intending to make others mad. Even so, it's a video game, taunting or making the other team mad could actually be a good strategy, getting them all worked up makes them lose focus. Even so, WHO CARES? If someone is talking trash in a video, it's not real life.

Qichin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experience Death View Post
Even so, WHO CARES? If someone is talking trash in a video, it's not real life.
It's still real people.

Experience Death

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qichin View Post
It's still real people.
So what? They aren't trash talking the person directly, they are trash talking their video game skills. If someone calls them bad, it's not about the person, it's about their ability to play a video game. If you are that upset over being told you are bad in the video game, you probably shouldn't play it. I am so sick of playing with bad kids in my matches. I can't jungle, I jungle and my mid goes 2/6, I mid and my adc goes 1/8, those kids ARE bad. Even if you can't win your lane, it's not hard to NOT feed.

Distillz

02-16-2013

Quote:
blah blah blah
I voted this down. If this is the extent of thinking in riot i see why there is a tribunal. "don't be a jerk"? Come on. Even that would vary from person to person. The guy you think is being a "jerk" could think the other guy a "jerk" and thus is being a "jerk" to him.

The tribunal is a pile of subjective garbage that you should never have unleashed. Treat your gamers so wrecklessly.

I don't even know why on earth you think it justified to ban "jerks". Seriously, is this some highschool popularity contest? The "jerks" over there, instead of the jocks, vs us?

Xianio

02-16-2013

"Jerks" consist of 2% of the total active player base. So, it's more like "grade 12 high school jerks over there vs the entire town over here."

Just to give you some perspective.

SuceMaMardeNoob

02-16-2013

What he got ban for that !! We clearly see that you can get ban for nothing !! come on if riot put emote you cannot get ban for that !! what the hell is up with that ban !! this guy dont deserve a Ban ! he did nothing except doing is emote ! and what does it prove! seriously the tribunal system need to be fixed annoying kid reporting for nothing . I read all the conversation and other team were insulting him and those guys dont get ban ? he got ban for spamming emote WOW ! really wow thats why dude thats the game if ur unhappy cause he spam is emote just close ur game and go play with ur barbies kid

Qichin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuceMaMardeNoob View Post
What he got ban for that !! We clearly see that you can get ban for nothing !! come on if riot put emote you cannot get ban for that !! what the hell is up with that ban !! this guy dont deserve a Ban ! he did nothing except doing is emote ! and what does it prove! seriously the tribunal system need to be fixed annoying kid reporting for nothing .
Did you even read WookieeCookie's explanations?

Quote:
I read all the conversation and other team were insulting him and those guys dont get ban ?
How do you know they didn't get banned?

Quote:
he got ban for spamming emote WOW ! really wow thats why dude thats the game if ur unhappy cause he spam is emote just close ur game and go play with ur barbies kid
And that is exactly the result that Riot doesn't want. You've just proven WookieeCookie's point.