You cant be serious about this ban

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MadSeer

Senior Member

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeCookie View Post
Don't be a jerk.

Players frequently write to my team full of excuses for their case, or fearful that they're going to get banned in the future.

They often want to debate the Summoner's Code down point by point.

Is it okay to do this? What about that? What if someone else does X, and I do Y to them in retaliation? Can I get banned for Z?

And our response can always be summed up with one simple phrase:

Don't be a jerk


Sometimes player's ask why isn't the Summoner's Code more specific? Why doesn't it specify each and every action I can or can't do? But they don't notice that we wrote the Code that way on purpose.

We don't want to run a game dictated by strict specific rules. Because every game is unique, and played by different standards.


How much fun would a rule be that says you can never say the F word in your matches?

How much fun would a rule be that says last pick must always be support?

How much fun would a rule say that you can never be Rammus support because he's not considered "optimal" by the community?


Every game should be judged by its own context. And that's why the core rule is always:

Don't be a jerk.


You can say the F word in a friendly context:



You can also say it in a very toxic context:




---The key difference? Don't be a jerk


Sometimes it makes sense for last pick to be something besides support:


Sometimes the situation can be very toxic:



---The key difference? Don't be a jerk


Sometimes it makes sense to go with a real unusual support pick:



Sometimes an unusual pick can be really toxic:



---The key difference? Don't be a jerk


I've seen this case emote spamming case before. And he fails the test. He was being a jerk.

You can see in his matches that other players ask him to stop. They even do so nicely at some points. But this player doesn't care. He doesn't care because he's being a jerk.

Is he using a feature of our game which has many legitimate purposes? Of course!

But is he abusing this legitimate feature to be a jerk? Yes. He is literally spamming the same phrase throughout the entire duration of the game.

Could other players fiddle with their sound settings to disable this? Sure.

Should we expect other players to adjust their player experience because a jerk is harassing them?

No. Never.

I even spent some extra time looking up this player's past harassment history. This is not an isolated 5 games this player has done this. He has repeatedly found ways to annoy and harass other players. That's the main reason he has a tribunal case in the first place.

Lyte has mentioned this in the past, but the Tribunal is really great at finding jerks in our game. But it's not always great at providing the full context of just how much of a jerk they are. But always keep in mind it takes many reports, in many games, by many people to even be considered for the Tribunal. The system may only pull 1 to 5 chat logs for a case, but make no doubt about it, the accused has been reported in many many more games than that.

The process is always being iterated on and improved though. And if the PB&J Team sees a need for the additional context to be shown, I'm confident in their abilities to make that happen.
You should make that an official post.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xeravik

Senior Member

11-26-2012

I can honestly say I don't agree with the ban. Sure he spammed the emote, sure he got on not only the enemies nerves, but his teammates nerves, but it's not like he didnt contribute to his teams wins. In fact, every match in that report his team won, and he contributed. I am honestly surprised this was a time-bannable offense. I get on the tribunal now and then, and I've only made one incorrect decision, since they've added the tribunal stats, and I would have most definately pardoned this fellow. I think people just need to learn to tolerate stuff like this. Is it his fault the people voting on his tribunal case have low tolerance to someone being 'annoying?' No. I honestly only report people for intentionally feeding, like going 0/15/0 running into towers, hardcore VERBAL harassment, and stuff like throwing out derogatory terms left and right. I know Riot/moderators wont agree with me, and that's fine, it's their job to support their Tribunal system, and it's their job to be the law of their own game, but hopefully someone will learn to tolerate s*** like this instead of issuing time bans.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elric Sadricson

Senior Member

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeCookie View Post
Dear Elric,

I've spent some extensive analysis on your harassment history and can determine that despite your occasional taunt as Singed, you are indeed (at this time) not a jerk and do not have to worry about a tribunal suspension.

In fact, you've only been reported in .02% of the games you've played in the history of your account.

I wonder what makes your situation so much more different from the case we're discussing?
I should probably drop it, I know, but I still can't bring myself to terms with the fact that you can get a time ban for spamming emotes. I mean, could someone get a permanent ban for this, or only a time ban? Also, in Phreak's champion spotlight of Singed, he actually suggests that you rebind Singed's /laugh to an easily reachable key so that you can spam it and distract your lane opponent.

Maybe he was a toxic player, actually, chances are he was, but can we really justify the last straw for his ban being that he emoted too much? =/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DrUnne

Senior Member

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elric Sadricson View Post
I should probably drop it, I know, but I still can't bring myself to terms with the fact that you can get a time ban for spamming emotes. I mean, could someone get a permanent ban for this, or only a time ban? Also, in Phreak's champion spotlight of Singed, he actually suggests that you rebind Singed's /laugh to an easily reachable key so that you can spam it and distract your lane opponent.

Maybe he was a toxic player, actually, chances are he was, but can we really justify the last straw for his ban being that he emoted too much? =/
If you can't tell that is a joke, someone is taking those spotlights a little to seriously.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AotW King

Senior Member

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeCookie View Post
I will re-quote what I said earlier on this subject:



I bring this up, because I think you bring up a reasonable fear:

"If I slip up in one game do I have to worry about a ban?"

But the easy answer is: No. You don't.

Everyone slips up at times. Everyone has their bad days. Everyone can be a little bit grumpy. Those are not the kinds of people the tribunal is looking for.

The Tribunal is looking for players that repeatedly and consistently display toxic behavior in their games. This player is the perfect example of this. Not to mention that he had already been warned with a reform card by the system a month ago. But has refused to adjust his behavior.



Dear Elric,

I've spent some extensive analysis on your harassment history and can determine that despite your occasional taunt as Singed, you are indeed (at this time) not a jerk and do not have to worry about a tribunal suspension.

In fact, you've only been reported in .02% of the games you've played in the history of your account.

I wonder what makes your situation so much more different from the case we're discussing?

Oh god You might have opened the flood gates but if not then this probably will.

Whats my reported ratio at? I'm a pretty lax guy and I find it hard to get genuinely mad about things people say on the internet but that also means I bet I'm pretty harsh sometimes.

Also about those in game tips that say things like.

"People who verbally harass their teammates lose 16% more often"

It makes me feel like your either challenging me to bring that percent up or down both of which require me to first verbally harass my team. So assuming no reds respond saying differently I'll assume your challenging me to bring the percent down because we want everyone to win more right?

Challenge Accepted.


EDIT: I mainly want to know if my behavior in game is fine or if I should be nicer if I don't want to get in trouble. Also never been warned.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dalze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elric Sadricson View Post
I should probably drop it, I know, but I still can't bring myself to terms with the fact that you can get a time ban for spamming emotes. I mean, could someone get a permanent ban for this, or only a time ban? Also, in Phreak's champion spotlight of Singed, he actually suggests that you rebind Singed's /laugh to an easily reachable key so that you can spam it and distract your lane opponent.

Maybe he was a toxic player, actually, chances are he was, but can we really justify the last straw for his ban being that he emoted too much? =/
Phreak's was a joke...and again...if they don't get annoyed over it (as in explicitly ask you to stop) then you don't have to worry at all.

Yes, its justifiable because he was ruining the gaming experience of other players in purpose, its not rocket science man.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tempnameA461

Member

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUnne View Post
Did I say without question? No sir, I said extremely unlikely, which fits rather well into the next 10 years.
Sir, I do not know, because I cannot hear what you say.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AnonTwo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elric Sadricson View Post
I should probably drop it, I know, but I still can't bring myself to terms with the fact that you can get a time ban for spamming emotes. I mean, could someone get a permanent ban for this, or only a time ban? Also, in Phreak's champion spotlight of Singed, he actually suggests that you rebind Singed's /laugh to an easily reachable key so that you can spam it and distract your lane opponent.

Maybe he was a toxic player, actually, chances are he was, but can we really justify the last straw for his ban being that he emoted too much? =/
All bans are based on volume of punishments, and not severity (generally).

He could get a perm ban for it, but he'd of had to of already been a repeated offender MANY times.

Also, spamming emotes is the same as spamming chat. What do you think?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

420 zzZz

Junior Member

11-26-2012

hey riot, whose to define "spamming an emote" ?

i click it twice all game and some young kid decides thats spam and reports, and you go off with the dont be a jerk rants


get a clue please.... your tribunal is overseen by children...


you let the lunatics run the asylum... and have to many **** behavior (LMAO) specialists on payroll failing hard ....


lately it really reads like a bunch of overpaid fail things saying anything to remain working except that your feature fails


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DrUnne

Senior Member

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempnameA461 View Post
Sir, I do not know, because I cannot hear what you say.
0/10

Evidently you are just here to troll, moving on.