Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

You cant be serious about this ban

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kvoth3

11-26-2012

They didn't complain that much in that tribunal case though. Unless I'm missing something in there, I think this is out of line.

I'm with the OP on this one.

IIZekoII

11-26-2012

Quote:
WookieeCookie:
We're not going to remove features from our game because certain players are jerks and choose to abuse them.

We will not remove emotes because someone would spam them from start to finish to be a jerk. Instead we would remove the jerk.

We will not remove chat because someone would use it to harass and annoy other players. Instead we would remove the jerk.

We will not remove the option to be an unusual support (ie: Rammus) because someone would choose it to be spiteful and punish his team by feeding kills. Instead we would remove the jerk.

We will not remove certain summoner spells because someone chose them specifically to get his team mates mad while he intentionally feeds the game. Instead we would remove the jerk.

We will not forbid you from buying more than 5 wards because someone may choose to write bad symbols with them. Instead we would remove the jerk.

There are plenty of other examples I can give. But essentially it boils down to this: If a person abuses features in game to be a jerk to team mates, then we will not be removing the feature: we will remove the jerk. As 99% of our community can use taunts without being a jerk, we will not be making a special case for a troll because they can't control themselves.

They should just stop being a jerk.

In this case I didn't use extra information to judge the case. The case has enough information about this player being a jerk. You can see from his games that he starts from the very beginning of the match to the very end spamming the same emote over and over again.

This is sufficient evidence to determine that he is indeed a jerk. I provided extra information to those who still seemed to be convinced that this person was just having some good natured fun. He wasn't. And he's trolled a great many games in the past.

A couple of issues here.

1) We can see from the tribunal case that he wasn't annoying just his enemies(not that this would suddenly make it okay). He was annoying his team mates who asked him to stop repeatedly across many games.
2) Playing "mind games" and being a jerk are not one in the same. You can play a lot of mind games, such as by faking out a player, denying them access in lane, and baiting them into traps; all of these don't involve you being a jerk.

1. Your comparing being Warned/Banned in a video game to being thrown in jail in real life……

2. It doesn't bother me to remind people to not be a jerk. I don't want people to be afraid of being banned. That's why I try to make it pretty simple for them to understand the Code. [COLOR="Red"]Don't be a jerk.[/COLOR]

3. I don't treat players as less of a person because they've been banned by the Tribunal. I've spent considerable time working with players to help them understand why they were banned by the Tribunal and what they can do to avoid additional bans in the future. I hate seeing people get banned from the game they love. But I've seen the effects that jerks have on our game and our players. If toxic players refuse to change their behavior and would rather ruin the experience of others then it leaves me with little choice.

4. The founders of the United States didn't have the Internet. And they didn't play League of Legends.

We think you can be a competitive minded person and not be a jerk. Outside the video game industry I think it's called "good sportsmanship".

I can see your point here, but it's important to keep in mind that the Tribunal system does not create a punishment based off of the crime. It works on a tiered system. Where toxic behavior is punished with an increasing suspension each time it is found.

In this player's case he had already been warned about his behavior beforehand, and he has elected to ignore the warning.

As I mentioned earlier no one is inclined to remove features because certain players are not responsible enough to use them properly. We would much rather remove the immature players who would be jerks in our game.

That's really cool to hear. I think at times everyone's tempted to be a jerk. But the benefits are few and far between. We should always keep in mind that we play League of Legends to have fun. If we're not having fun, perhaps we should take a break for a bit.

No. That's not what I said.

I said: [COLOR="Red"]Don't be a jerk.[/COLOR]

If you're spamming emotes from start to finish because you like to see everyone (including teammates) yell at you and beg you to stop, then you're being a jerk.

And you should stop.

If you get personal satisfaction from ruining other people's fun then you're being a jerk.

And you should stop.

If people ask you to stop trolling, and you do it even harder just to spite them then you're being a jerk.

And you should stop.

the only problem with this ban is now, in our games, let's say i play singed..
then i run at the ennemy and then i get intercepted by their team and they start to chase me and i get a double kill, all that while i was running and spamming /laugh,i then stop once the fight has ended, go on the dead body of the rengar and /dance.
(first time of the game i do this)
in chat it's like:

GG SINGED REPORTED FOR SPAMMING EMOTES GET BANNED *****
REPORT SINGED SPAM EMOTES STUPID JERK
etc.. etc.. etc..

the minutes you even think about trying to "taunt" the ennemy with teemo's or lulu's laugh or if you /dance after you kill them or let's say spam soraka and malphite's taunt. => OMG REPORTED SPAM EMOTES **** YOU GO KILL YOURSELF!

i'm not being a jerk, it's not abusive, i'm not spamming it constantly all game.It's part of my "gameplay" with these kind of champions. but still, because of that unique tribunal case where you banned someone for using emotes IN ARAMS.(and by the way wath tells you he was really spamming all game?,wath proofs o you have seriously?)
well now i get reported for a single /Laugh.

ty Riot.

metalaug

11-26-2012

Taunting or dancing once in a while should be ok. Spamming them is not.

OneTobi

11-26-2012

Isnt the whole point of taunting emote to "taunt" the enemy into making stupid plays

The whole point of taunt is to annoy the enemy...

tempnameA461

11-26-2012

Quote:
metalaug:
Taunting or dancing once in a while should be ok. Spamming them is not.

Spamming Rammus' E is now bannable.
Using Flash as Trundle is now bannable.

smilefase

11-26-2012

Why is the red being upvoted? He is wrong, plain and simple. People have refuted his argument over and over, and all he does is just cover his ears and eyes and just yells "DON'T BE A JERK". Well for one they only told him to stop in 1 game. For two now I am legitimately afraid of using in game mechanics for fear of being banned. Great job riot, Tribunal is going to kill this game in a year. I can only hope you guys come to your senses and get rid of this great toxic cancer that is the Tribunal.

AnonTwo

11-26-2012

Quote:
Fox P McCloud:
Question. If your only enjoy (or rather heavy primary) enjoy from playing LoL is crushing other people under feet (via skill, tactics or what-not, without engaging in verbal abuse, emote spamming, etc), should that individual be playing LoL? Stated anotehr reason, the only reason that person enjoys playing LoL is to intentionally make his opponent lose (contrast this with the mentality of playing to win).

Crushing under feet, i would say yes. it's a competitive game after all, people are playing it to win,

Trying to lose, i would say they should be removed, because 9/10 times they're doing it against the wishes of their team, their allies, their partners. The game and the community view your relationship as that, and as such it's toxic to hinder your own allies.

I'm not sure i understand the "intentionally make opponent lose" actually tbh. Are you just playing a semantics game?

Percilus

Recruiter

11-26-2012

This don't be a jerk thing also works in real life.

NoobCanBPro

Recruiter

11-26-2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now

tempnameA461

11-26-2012

Quote:
Percilus:
This don't be a jerk thing also works in real life.

You can defend yourself better in real life.