You cant be serious about this ban

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AnonTwo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenmar View Post
1. Since when was being a jerk a crime? Or should be treated as such? Do you see police arrest people because they were being a jerk?

2. Doesn't it bother you that you actually are creating fear in people's hearts and souls when they play your game because of the even haunting feeling of being banned?

3. Do you really feel so strongly that you could if spending a day in the life or with that person you think is a jerk could still call them a jerk to their face and treat them as less of a person?

4. Even our founding fathers here in the USA understood that a declaration by itself is meaningless as it leaves everything open to interpretation. A constitution lets the people know what laws and rights they have as a member of society.
1. It's not a crime. And this is not real life. You are being punished for MUCH smaller things and as such it's not even relevant. In this game, being a jerk is about the worst thing you can be.

2.The people who spout BS about the tribunal are the ones who do that.

3. depends, are they a jerk in real life too?

4. A. Not every person here is even a US citizen dumbass.
B. It's a general guideline on being a good person, to make actual laws not only means less freedom, but more ways around the rules. I can almost assure you there would be no way to ban fake supports for example if laws were used, nothing specific would be able to not kill legitimate practices.
C. The point is to leave it open to interpretation, because "don't be a jerk" is ENIRELY opinionated. Nothing you can do in this game is immediately bad until it ruins the Objective fun of others

The very fact fun is objective makes laws around jerks difficult.

Trudbuglar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

Quote:
So you are telling me that you are perfectly fine with being ruled in a society based on fear?

Also, you don't know how to respond living a day in another person's shoes? Talking to their family, friends, doing the same activities as the person you think is a jerk? What makes you so confident that person is what you think they are? Can you honestly say that you know people just from the small amount of time playing a single match with them better than them? What if their life is ****? An abusive or neglectful home? Or a life with no social interaction? Or after a long day of ditch digging? What exactly makes you the better and more superior person?
Oh my god, how did we get from talking about getting banned in a video game to "being ruled in a society based on fear?" How old are you, that these two things even seem remotely comparable?

Osduf

11-26-2012

So I can get banned for spamming Lux's laugh?

How else am I supposed to win lane?

Olek Skilgannon

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeCookie View Post
Don't be a jerk.

Players frequently write to my team full of excuses for their case, or fearful that they're going to get banned in the future.

They often want to debate the Summoner's Code down point by point.

Is it okay to do this? What about that? What if someone else does X, and I do Y to them in retaliation? Can I get banned for Z?

And our response can always be summed up with one simple phrase:

Don't be a jerk

Sometimes player's ask why isn't the Summoner's Code more specific? Why doesn't it specify each and every action I can or can't do? But they don't notice that we wrote the Code that way on purpose.

We don't want to run a game dictated by strict specific rules. Because every game is unique, and played by different standards.

How much fun would a rule be that says you can never say the F word in your matches?

How much fun would a rule be that says last pick must always be support?

How much fun would a rule say that you can never be Rammus support because he's not considered "optimal" by the community?

Every game should be judged by its own context. And that's why the core rule is always:

Don't be a jerk.

You can say the F word in a friendly context:

You can also say it in a very toxic context:

---The key difference? Don't be a jerk

Sometimes it makes sense for last pick to be something besides support:

Sometimes the situation can be very toxic:

Sometimes it makes sense to go with a real unusual support pick:

Sometimes an unusual pick can be really toxic:

I've seen this case emote spamming case before. And he fails the test. He was being a jerk.

You can see in his matches that other players ask him to stop. They even do so nicely at some points. But this player doesn't care. He doesn't care because he's being a jerk.

Is he using a feature of our game which has many legitimate purposes? Of course!

But is he abusing this legitimate feature to be a jerk? Yes. He is literally spamming the same phrase throughout the entire duration of the game.

Could other players fiddle with their sound settings to disable this? Sure.

Should we expect other players to adjust their player experience because a jerk is harassing them?

No. Never.

I even spent some extra time looking up this player's past harassment history. This is not an isolated 5 games this player has done this. He has repeatedly found ways to annoy and harass other players. That's the main reason he has a tribunal case in the first place.

Lyte has mentioned this in the past, but the Tribunal is really great at finding jerks in our game. But it's not always great at providing the full context of just how much of a jerk they are. But always keep in mind it takes many reports, in many games, by many people to even be considered for the Tribunal. The system may only pull 1 to 5 chat logs for a case, but make no doubt about it, the accused has been reported in many many more games than that.

The process is always being iterated on and improved though. And if the PB&J Team sees a need for the additional context to be shown, I'm confident in their abilities to make that happen.
Then remove emotes. Its down right STUPID to be banned for it. What's the point in having in game taunts if they're not allowed.

You say don't be a jerk, but come the **** on. It's a TAUNT.

Relevant video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA

Take note how Daigo taunts after EVERY SUPER. This is why you put taunts in games. To be used. If they enemy gets mad about it, GOOD. They're:

A) Overly sensitive.
B) More likely to make a mistake allowing you to win the game just a little bit easier.

I'm here to win at all costs (cheating barred). If **** talk and spamming emotes is 1 way I can do that, I WILL EXPLOIT IT.

Blutarsky Blues

11-26-2012

“We are what we always were in Salem, but now the little crazy children are jangling the keys of the kingdom, and common vengeance writes the law!”
― Arthur Miller, The Crucible

Everfaust

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olek Skilgannon View Post
Then remove emotes. Its down right STUPID to be banned for it. What's the point in having in game taunts if they're not allowed.

You say don't be a jerk, but come the **** on. It's a TAUNT.

Relevant video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA

Take note how Daigo taunts after EVERY SUPER. This is why you put taunts in games. To be used. If they enemy gets mad about it, GOOD. They're:

A) Overly sensitive.
B) More likely to make a mistake allowing you to win the game just a little bit easier.

I'm here to win at all costs (cheating barred). If **** talk and spamming emotes is 1 way I can do that, I WILL EXPLOIT IT.
Might as well remove "all" chat as well.. :P

Calys Teneb

11-26-2012

Quote:
1. Since when was being a jerk a crime? Or should be treated as such? Do you see police arrest people because they were being a jerk?

2. Doesn't it bother you that you actually are creating fear in people's hearts and souls when they play your game because of the even haunting feeling of being banned?

3. Do you really feel so strongly that you could if spending a day in the life or with that person you think is a jerk could still call them a jerk to their face and treat them as less of a person?

4. Even our founding fathers here in the USA understood that a declaration by itself is meaningless as it leaves everything open to interpretation. A constitution lets the people know what laws and rights they have as a member of society.
You realize that jerks get off on treating people as less than a person.

Our Founding Fathers left the Constitution pointedly vague, as they wanted it to be adaptable to the standards of the generations to follow as opposed to being locked in stone with the values of 1776. That's why they have these things called "amendments."

The Constitution outlines the Government in strict black and white. It has never outlined the law as such. Otherwise you wouldn't have debates over what "free speech" is and what the "right to bear arms" is and what constitutes a "naturalized citizen" and "where is the separation of church and state begin and end" so on and so forth.

Hierarch DF

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassu View Post
Ask yourself this: how much good comes from spending time and resources on being able to link individual player's report statistics on the forum vs. the amount of good that comes from spending that time and those resources on other features? Making it easier for player support to link one's report history on the forums seems like an important feature, especially considering there are other things PB&J could focus on.

Also, why shouldn't we believe them? Their authority is relevant and pretty powerful on the matter at hand. Also consider this: what do they stand to gain from lying to the players about bans? It's completely absurd to think that they would just spout arbitrary numbers as data for no reason at all.

I find it hilarious how you compare Riot to Hitler. There is almost no relevance between those two in your analogy—Hitler practiced an extreme form of nationalism called fascism. Nationalism is inherently illogical and is driven by nothing more than emotions with no real reason behind them. That's such a huge difference between the two that it makes your comparison absurd.

To be fair, I think Dyrus would be less likely to receive punishment from the Tribunal than other players given his popularity.
riot has autority
so we need to listen to them even if they cant prove their own words with evidence
just becuz of they are autority?
LOL, are u a refugee from North Korea?

Fathootz

11-26-2012

meanwhile i've left 10 games in the past 3 days and am sitting pretty

NoobMascot

11-26-2012

Please remove emotes....
I usually spam it the first 10 mins when I'm forced to play support -. -

There's nothing to do but spam it... Lulu my fave