Why Does Riot Find This Acceptable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Furry NA

11-13-2012

I want to start off by making this clear that this is not a rage post, but one attempting to seek out and find answers to a question that should not come up in the first place.

Why, Riot, do you think it is okay, both as a marketing strategy and as a strategy to make your players happy, to releases patches as fast as you do?

My internet connection is fine; I can play other games, my ping is great, and I can surf the web with no problem.

I have had no problems with League the past few days.

Now I log on, and I seem to be okay. I can't look at my match history, but... Maybe that's just a bug? So I guess I'll chat. Later on that goes away. Well, if that lasted for a while, I hope playing a game would be alright? I keep getting "unknown errors", but perhaps they won't affect that aspect?

In my naive happiness to enjoy one or two games, literally, before having to do college homework... Nope! I am forced to reconnect. As I do, I am underleveled. No worries, I can come back... And I do! I work with my jungler, and he gives me first blood! .... Then I get lag. My ping is fine. Then I cant do anything. Suddenly things work for a short while, just in time for him to gank again. After I get that kill... I get dc'd a few times, reconnect once, and after a short while I read "gg". Our Ashe was also having lag issues, so I was not the only one.

So tell me Riot. Why this is a smart idea? If you have any inclinations that this will happen to a number of your playerbase, why not hold off and fix this? Marketing wise, this makes more people willing to buy a bundle or a champion, because they are sure they will get to play it then and there. I remember once getting an (unrelated) "Ghost Game" when buying a new skin, and that alone made me uncomfortable enough to want a refund. When it comes to the emotions of your fanbase, if we already had to wait a bit, can't we wait a bit longer so that things will work?

Instead you have people like me. A college student struggling to enjoy a small portion of his day-- making sure even if a game went bad he'd enjoy it, were it for legitimate reasons. But don't worry, I can at least go to the website! That I have to refresh over and over to connect to.... On a browser I never use....

Tell me, tell us, tell the community, please, why you think that this is a smart marketing strategy and how this doesn't alienate some of your playerbase. I sure enjoyed looking at my silver border of my loading screen.... Too bad since I didn't connect when the others did that they couldn't. I felt special...

I'm curious to know. And I know this sounds smart-(in place of a worse word)-allecky, but I really want to know the actual answer.

Thank you.

Edit: To address a later post that I thought was a good one, in the original post:

--------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by AD Bottom
You posted a ****ing hour ago. They rolled out what seems to be a large patch to many different servers all at the same time. I imagine they have tens of thousands of people downloading and clogging up the connection, along with many, many more playing the game or trying to log in. This was a very large problem in the early parts of S2 and apparently a lot of S1. They've gotten a lot better, but it's probably just bandwidth issues. Give it a few days to iron out and we should be back to normal.
---------------------------------------------------------
This is actually a good point.

Perhaps there should be a more dedicated downtime, or if that wouldn't solve it, perhaps it should be dispersed?

Joe Krake

11-13-2012

if you're in college it's probably the fault of the college connection and not the other way around. I speak of this from experience.

MrSmileyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

were these bugs known in pbe? Things can get borked when they go live, are you sure it wasnt your net? how common is the problem? do you really expect a patch to come out entirely bug free, have you ever programmed?

Theres

1) not enough info on this "bug"

2) an assumption its possible for patches to be 100% bug free

I have not had or seen any issues like this yet.

Best Furry NA

11-13-2012

It's not the college as I am currently at home (I live with my parents, economic reasons).

It's not my net, as I have said, other online applications work fine, and my computer was working fine with League last night.

I have actually done some coding, near the edge of programming. I have done a little XML, LUA, and Flash-- and when I say little I do mean little. Of course they won't be bug free, but I expect professionals to not let something like this happen.

Best Furry NA

11-13-2012

I just recently retried. I normally would not, but everything seemed to be in working order. It wouldn't let me load once the initial character selection screen went off. I reloaded in, behind. I tried, I was poking, hugging my turret, trying to farm....

Things started to lag again, I kept getting "Attempting to Reconnect".

Everything else seems to be fine!

I am so frustrated that professional programmers would let this sort of thing happen. I have ran multiple tests, and it is not on my end.

HighTillTide

11-13-2012

I am also very frustrated right now. I get in Q just fine, select my hero and start the game, in loading screen, my monitor just turns black, and this has been happening all day. Just now I was in loading screen and it went black, this time i opened up league of legends, and now i have to download another update that estimates 30 minutes? thats a leave. I am now 6/7 losses for the start of s3. Never knew Riot would be the one forcing me to leave games.

Best Furry NA

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTillTide View Post
I am also very frustrated right now. I get in Q just fine, select my hero and start the game, in loading screen, my monitor just turns black, and this has been happening all day. Just now I was in loading screen and it went black, this time i opened up league of legends, and now i have to download another update that estimates 30 minutes? thats a leave. I am now 6/7 losses for the start of s3. Never knew Riot would be the one forcing me to leave games.
Exactly.

Other things seem to be fixed for me now... I can access this site okay, look at my match history....

But Riot isn't letting me play. The... Goal... Of theirs.

And since I'm clearly not the only one, that means they're losing money, losing popularity, and losing what they have.

So why is this a good idea Riot?

adc

11-13-2012

You posted a ****ing hour ago. They rolled out what seems to be a large patch to many different servers all at the same time. I imagine they have tens of thousands of people downloading and clogging up the connection, along with many, many more playing the game or trying to log in. This was a very large problem in the early parts of S2 and apparently a lot of S1. They've gotten a lot better, but it's probably just bandwidth issues. Give it a few days to iron out and we should be back to normal.

Best Furry NA

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
This is actually a good point.

Perhaps there should be a more dedicated downtime, or if that wouldn't solve it, perhaps it should be dispersed?

Best Furry NA

11-13-2012

I thought it'd be over by 11 Pacific Time...

Nope, a friend and I (living in different cities) both experienced lag at the end of our match.